Kedarnath Hotels

• vamsikosuri profile photo vamsikosuri
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Himachal House: Kedarnath's Worst Accomodation

I visited Kedarnath in June 2012. My travel agency allotted me this accommodation. As soon as we entered, they started serving chai to each one of us. I thought it was a welcome drink as all our other hotels gave us a welcome drink when we entered. They later charged this chai in the bill. They served us dinner as if dinner was included in the package. They gave one dal and one sabji in dinner with roti (no rice) and charged a whooping 150 per plate. In a hotel next to us, the same food was available for Rs. 70. When I asked about deceiving us with the food and chai, the owner of the hotel Umesh Posti started behaving like a rowdy and using improper language in the divine place. No extra blankets were provided. The rooms do not have a heater. We were freezing the whole night. The water from the pipes is freezing cold. When I asked them to provide hot water, they said only 1 bucket will be provided right before we leave for puja in the morning. Other than that one time, you will have to use freezing cold water whenever you use the restroom. I had a horrible experience with this place and the owner. I recommend everyone to stay away from this place.

The unique quality of this hotel is that they deceive you as if they are giving free service and then charge you unreasonable amounts for a bad quality of service.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• Written June 18, 2012

• toonhut profile photo toonhut
  • Reviews: 143

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Patliputra Bihar: Comfortable stay (Badrinath)

There are lots of places to choose from in Badrinath. I have thoroughly looked around the entire place and I can safely say Patliputra offers the most frills to the guest at the least price. Clean, average sized rooms. The biggest plus is they provide space heaters for a couple hundred rupees more. It sounds fancy but the nights can be seriously cold in October as nearly all places here don't have insulation be it 1-3 C outside. Rates vary depending on what kind of room you choose and the month you arrive. Two people in October (off season) in their best room costs around Rs800. Phone: 9411390340

If that sounds high, then you can opt to stay in Narmada Bhavan right opposite Patliputra! It's pretty much just as clean, but with no space heater, and you might get a visit from a friendly hyperactive mouse =) If that works, then it's just Rs200 for two people and Rs150 for one! Phone: 01381-222313 or 9410126675 / 9837978415

• Related to: Family Travel, Mountain Climbing, Hiking and Walking
  • Written November 14, 2010
Tip Photo

View from outside the hotels

• toonhut profile photo toonhut
  • Reviews: 143

The GMVN hotel: Snug between

Clean and spacious rooms. They have electric heaters on the walls too but none of them worked ;) No lodge in Kedarnath provides insulated rooms. I know it sounds like luxury to ask for insulation but when its 0 C, you can't help yourself! It feels close to sleeping outdoors. You just need to pile on the heavy blankets and they were nice enough to supply as much as needed. Power outages is a common problem in Gaurikund and Kedarnath but at least here they also provide a generator for some hours. Their restaurant's staff was friendly and helpful too, just tell them in advance what you want for your meals :)

The absolute best part about this place is its uncluttered location. Since it's govt. run, they got a big prime spot all to themselves with gob-smacking views right outside your windows! Stay here just for the constant prize of seeing through these windows.

• Related to: Family Travel, Photography, Hiking and Walking
  • Written November 14, 2010
Tip Photo

The rooms are that close to the mountains!

• tayloretc profile photo tayloretc
  • Reviews: 287

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

(The Pink Hotel): (Tungnath) The Basics

Tungnath doesn't have a lot of options. In fact I think there's only one other place to stay, and it appeared to be closed for the season. So. For about Rs200 you get a private room with a bed (a board covered by a thin comforter) and attached bath (western style toilet but bucket system flushing, a bucket of hot water on request). For Rs100 you get a bed in a dormitory-like room, not sure what the bathroom facilities are. There's no electricity, but kerosene lamps are provided. They serve a decent dal/roti/potato meal made in the open-air kitchen around back.

The only downside was that one of the people who worked there seemed a little creepily odd, but given how remote it is, and how few people stay overnight, I suppose an odd character is to be expected.

• Written November 1, 2007

Hotel from the back

• tayloretc profile photo tayloretc
  • Reviews: 287

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sunil Guest House: (Kedarnath) The Basics

Sunil Guest House is probably typical of accommodations at Kedarnath. It was clean (enough), there was an attached bath with water (and hot water in a bucket on demand), the windows were open to the hallway, which was open to the air (so it was cold). It was a little off the main road, so it was quiet. There was some simple food available, and someone brought me good tea at the correct time in the morning. At Rs200 per night, you get what you pay for, and here it was enough.

This hotel is part of a small local chain that includes similar basic accommodation in Kedarnath, Gaurikund, Guptkashi, and Rudraprayag, and possibly one other town.

• Written October 30, 2007

Main entrance

• recker_us profile photo recker_us
  • Reviews: 9

Any hotel in Sonprayag: Stay en route Kedarnath

The hotels/lodges in Gaurikund which the starting point for Kedarnath yatra are very expensive. Instead stay at Sonprayag which is just 6 kms from Gaurikund. The rooms are much cheaper here..

You a get a very good double bedroom for 150-200 rupees.

They are close to a flowing river.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, School Holidays
  • Written September 30, 2004

• recker_us profile photo recker_us
  • Reviews: 9

Any hotel in Sonprayag: Stay en route Kedarnath

You a get a very good double bedroom for 150-200 rupees.

They are close to a flowing river.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive