KUMARAKOM PO BOX 2, Kottayam, IN 686 563

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Coconut Lagoon Kumarakom

Hated the Coconut Lagoon

by TripAdvisor Member India2006

This hotel was highly dissapointing over rated and not ecological in the way it is marketed to be. You are stuck on a small piece of swampy ground and thus at the mercy of an overcharging hotel with poor service. We were three and needed an extra bed in the room - the bed they brought was not even a camp but a sort of 70s sun lounger with a matress that divided in to 3 parts. The food was poor quality and overpriced. The service was decidedly odd and made 3 girls feel very uncomfortable.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member painter2808

Resort did not live up to the hype. We were three girls and the third bed was a sort of camp bed. The food was ordinary to say the least. We had stayed earlier at the Taj Coromandel in Chennai (in Tamil Nadu) and I had ordered Aleppey fish curry (a Keralan dish) almost everyday because it was so exquisitely prepared but the same dish at the Coconut Lagoon (which is actually in Kerala) was so disappointing as was most of their food. Service poor too. Two menus brought for three people and they looked surprised and slightly annoyed when we asked for another. Will not go there again. Heard that Lake Palace Hotel is very good.

Excellent first port of call

by TripAdvisor Member Alf

We stayed at the Coconut Lagoon on our first night in Kerala which also happened to be christmas eve. The approach to the hotel by boat is impressive and the welcome was typically professional and warm. The accomodation that we were allocated was very good - spacious and very clean with a/c and an imaginatively designed arrangement.

Dinner in the evening was a gala buffet - very expensive by Indian standards but first class. For those willing to take the risk there was ample seafood including prawns, giant prawns and lobster, together with lots of fish, barbecued meat and typical Keralan fare. The evening was a great success.

Don't expect to do much around the resort other than chill, go birdwatching or enjoy a relaxing cruise along the backwater. We can thoroughly recommend this resort, especially for couples.

Can't wait to return

by TripAdvisor Member SydneyStephen

My partner and I spent 4 nights in a lakefront, private pool villa. The room was very spacious with seperate living and sleeping areas. The king size bed was comfortable and had good quality linen. The bathroom was bright and airy and opened on to our own private pool. Watching the sun set over the lake while sitting on the front patio or swinging in a hammock was pure bliss. Having no TVs in the rooms is an inspired decision. (Not sure why one previous poster complained about the lack of TV - especially as s/he said this was their honeymoon!!!)

Meals were all buffets in the main dining room. Food was plentyful and delicious so long as one went for the local dishes. The western food looked a bit mediocre, but why would one want to eat that anyway when Keralan food is so healthy and tasty? We were the only guests in the bar on the nights when we went for a night cap - the crap American pop music might have been what kept people away...

We visited the Ayurvedic centre everyday for various massage treatments. It's highly recommended.

Fellow GLBTI travellers will be comforted to know that we had absolutely no problems here as a same-sex couple sharing a double room.

After leaving coconut lagoon we spent a few nights on a houseboat cruising the backwaters, then transferred by speedboat to Coconut Lagoon's sister property in Cochin. The Casino Group is to be commended for making our trip to Kerala very positive.

Loved the stay

by TripAdvisor Member Roopa

We are a honeymoon couple visited this hotel in august 3rd week .
stayed there for two nights. Things seemed well managed. hotel maintained very well. We felt its expensive hotel. but its worthy.
We stayed one day in heritage building . which is like traditinal kerala houses. I felt a kinda peace as
these kind of houses are almost gone even in villages.
Bathroom is open to air resembling kerali style bath room with a banana tree in middle. Rooms are properly air conditioned. But i felt rooms are dark. the only light was from windows. these bungalows are made with wood.and i must say when there is a lake there are mosquitoes too.
There are lot of activities we can do and enjoy completely. Hotel arranges cultural activiteis . kathakali dance is arranged on sundays. and live instrumental music on sunset cruise. as it was cloudy we could not find sunset. This hotel has a gift shop where we bought few clothes. prices are not too heavy as we expected.
There were fish snactuary,butterfly and dragon fly gardens. the board which is at the garden says a lot of butterflies,fishes. but
we cud find only a 10 th of it. serious bird watchers may get disappointed as this time is not a correct season to go for bird watching as said.
And food was really great. lots of varities with all kind of tastes .staff is very attentive.
in the second day we were in pool villa which has a private 4 ft pool in it.pool villa is much more spacious than heriatge bungalow. pool villa faces the lake .In cost Pool villa is only a little expensive than heritage bunglow but worth double of it. we can spend 4 days in resort to enjoy completely.
woollen clothing is preferred in evenings. days were sunny in august.

Relaxing retreat

by TripAdvisor Member KatieE

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights and loved this place, but then we were planning to do nothing but relax. Bear in mind it isnt easy to 'do' anything here since you need to take a boat back to the road etc. Its quite a big place but is laid out very attractively with individual cottages. We had one facing the lake, which I would recommend to ask for. The room itself was really lovely and had an outside bathoom too. I was worried about mosquitoes but didnt get attacked at all, even though it is right on water. There are two restaurants - an expensive but good seafood place and the standard buffet restauarnt which I thought was execellent and had a very big choice. There is also a nice bar. The poolside was okay but the pool is shallow so not great for swimming properly. Overall a very nice place nut not quite special enough for a honeymoon if thats what you're thinking.

excellent place to relax

by TripAdvisor Member sac-0042

the first thing that fascinates is the boat ride to the resort.
the reception area is welcoming, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. being a guest here is like staying in a small village where you get to know the staff as well as the other guests. It is a great place to relax .
The sunset cruise is a must. The seafood is great.
I enjoyed drinking the coconut water and eating the fresh coconuts.
the fresh fruit juice(lime and pineapple) served at breakfast is the best.
I tried the ayurvedic treatment offered at the resort and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Coconut Lagoon, KerelaCoconut Lagoon, Kerela

Directorials

by manraisedbypuffin

Hello,
Me and my fiancee are attempting to plan our honeymoon to India and were after some advice please, here goes:

We are planning on going early in October with approximately 9/10 days in Rajasthan and 7 days in Kerala.
Do people think it will be possible to fit Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur into this time with a driver or would it be better to drop either Jodhpur or Udaipur from this list?

Also, how is best to get from rajasthan to Kerala? and where would people recommend us staying in Kerala(for relaxing!)?

Thanks

Re: Directorials

by travelmad478

Five cities in nine days is too much. Delhi alone is worth a stay of at least 3-4 days, Agra about two, and Jaipur three or so. In between these cities is a LOT of driving (or flying), plus interesting stops along the way like Fatehpur Sikri, etc. I would stick to three cities if I were you. Personally I am a big fan of Udaipur, which gets less press than the other three, although it has a lot to offer.

You can fly from any one of the major cities in Rajasthan down to Kerala, most likely with a connection in Bombay. There are a number of low-cost and moderately priced airlines in India now that are very popular. Steer clear of Air Deccan, but give SpiceJet a try, along with Kingfisher, Jet, Sahara, and Go.

Re: Directorials

by indiexplorer

Hello,
I am excited about your itenary hehe.Bloody office cant leave me for few weeks.
I been to rajasthan and believe me its awesome.Your itenary is good,try to spend lesser time in Delhi( if you are fed up of metros,its same as any other big city,have a city tour of one day or two is max).
Regarding udaipur or jodhpur,choice is yours.Jodhpur is literally desert area where you will experience desert sanddunes/sandhills and stuff.
Udaipur is known as city of lakes.There you have museum and other sightseeing.
I would recommend Udaipur as you have more options.
Yes,leaving to kerala after rajasthan is good idea.You can relax at any of the places where you want to be.
Check out these couple of websites although no personal connection with them.
You can also check online.
keralatourism.org this is ministry of tourism's official website.
cghearth.com (one of the finest hotels group, my choice is coconut lagoon)
greenparadize.com ( good one but economic compared to cghearth.com hotels)

you can choose your package,trip to beaches and spending a day or two in houseboat.

Goodluck for your trip,if you encounter hyderabad in between,let me know if i can help u more.

Harman