Ladakh Range Hotels

Our Members Say

• kikalena profile photo kikalena
  • Reviews: 28

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

the best accomodation I've ever had

While trekking in Ladakh, you stay in the best hotels ever..... million star hotels:-))
The starry sky in the Himalaya looks so incredible that it's impossible to take your eyes off it.............. .

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Mountain Climbing, Backpacking
  • Written February 5, 2006

• Saagar profile photo Saagar
  • Reviews: 2175

Home stays

With the help of the tourist office and local residents, you can get to stay in farmers' homes in villages in and near Leh. I stayed for nearly four months in the Sangkhar Village north of Leh, and it was one of my greatest experiences ever. Houses in Ladakh are fairly big in order o accomodate visitors and extended family, so chances are you will get your own little separate room or even annex building.

Integration into family life,
or at least a glimpse of family life and farming.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Arts and Culture, Farm Stay, Budget Travel
  • Written May 7, 2004

Upper Sagkar, "my" house in the lower right centre

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lharimo North: Sumur, campground in the Nubra Valley

A wonderful fantastic campground, scenically located near the Nubra river in Sumur. Tents, as you can see in the photo, are spacious and with comfortable mattresses... they are relatively clean. In a nearby house there are toilets and showers, with warm water in the evening. These are much cleaner than the tents - basically spotless.

There's a great mess tent/restaurant that cooks really good meals. Plenty of delicious veggies and bread to die for.

• Written August 21, 2003

our cosy tent

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Uletopko campground: Uley Topko, campground in the Indu valley

The campground, apparently, is a posh one... lush gardens with flowers, apple and apricot trees, and rows of charming tents that are sealed by tiny concrete walls and straw roofs. There's also a great terrace overlooking the Indu river, and all around you can see some truly amazing mountainsWhen you look at the beds, they appear wonderfully comfortable but...

it's just a nice wrapping. It's truly a horrible place... beds are made of concrete and the mattress that covers them is very thin - nearly invicible in fact. The first tent we were given housed an interesting family of worms, beatles, caterpillars and cockroaches - which seem to prefer to sleep in our beds. The second tent was marginally better, in the sense that those creatured preferred to stay on the floor. In the third tent, after we asked to have it cleaned and sprayed, we still managed to stop 4 little living things

• Written August 21, 2003

the tent at uley topko

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Mandala: Leh: Hotel Mandala

Hotel is a nice hotel far from the noisy and polluted generators of Leh town. It's a large pleasant and clean-ish hotel, with a decent restaurant and nice helpful staff

Nice bedrooms and great views from the windows. There's also hot water at certain times of the day.. quite a luxury!!!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 24, 2003

our bedroom at Mandala

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Snow Leopard Guesthouse, Hunder, Nubra Valley

We were two people sharing a jeep on a two-day tour to Nubra Valley. Arriving to the village Hunder in the afternoon we had no idea of where to stay, but asked our driver to recommend a place. He took us to Snow Leopard Guesthouse, which turned out to be a lovely place. The rooms at Snow Leopard Guest House are situated in a three different houses surrounded by a lovely garden with flowers and fruit trees. And in the background are the mountains.

When we arrived there were only two rooms left, one for Rs 500 and one for Rs 700 (July 2010). I got the room for Rs 700 and it was in the same building as the restaurant. The room had a big double bed with a thick cover and reading lights above the bed, cupboards, a big window and a bathroom with hot water.

Dinner is served at eight in the evening and the buffet was Rs 150. We put two tables together and ate with some other people staying at the guesthouse. I cant remember when breakfast was served in the morning but I woke up early and sat in the garden reading while waiting. Even if breakfast was not ready I got coffee to drink and with the beautiful surroundings and early hour it tasted extra good.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 27, 2010

Snow Leopard Guesthouse

• zumodemango profile photo zumodemango
  • Reviews: 388

camping in Ladakh

good feather sleeping bag and a tent is all you need!
sleeping when you are hight is sometimes difficult, but after walking (from 6 to 8 hours) and waking up at 6.30 in the morning, i had no problem.
this camping in Nimaling was beatiful, there was in a plain huge area, a river close, and i remember the milky way,all the stars were perfect clear.

• Written November 14, 2002

Nimaling

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Oriental Guesthouse, Leh

I didn’t have a booking when I arrived to Oriental Guesthouse, but I was lucky to get a room in A Block. The rooms in A Block are the cheapest ones and I paid Rs 200 (July 2010) per night for the room with shared bathroom. My room was on the third floor with stunning views of the valley and mountains beyond. In the room there was a big bed with thick blankets, two plastic chairs, two tables and a shelf. There are several shared bathrooms, so there was never a queue. On the second floor there is also a traditional Ladakhi toilet. After checking in I got a towel, toilet paper and when I asked for it a few days later I got a top sheet. The rooms in Block A could not be booked in advance. I was very happy with the room and stayed there for 8 nights.

At Oriental Guesthouse there are three buildings with rooms in three different categories. I wanted to book a room in B Block for the days after my trek, but the rooms (which have private bathroom and cost Rs 450 in July 2010) were fully booked until the end of August.

As I wanted to have a place to stay when I returned from my trek, and also wanted to stay at Oriental Guesthouse I booked a room in C Block for my return. There the room was Rs 1000. If there was a room available in A Block I was going to change, but after staying one night in my room in C Block I didn’t want to change. The room was on the forth floor and had stunning views, two bedside tables, two wooden chairs and a small table in front of the window, cupboards and a comfortable bed. And it was convenient with the bathroom and shower.

Oriental Guesthouse is run by a Ladaki family who have run a guesthouse in their home since 1987. By the reception there is a library, TV-room and computers to use (when there is electricity). There is also a laundry service. I left most of my clothes for laundry, but washed a few things myself in a bucket by the running water behind the house.

The garden is lovely with roses and vegetables. There are two sitting areas outside, one by the reception and one on the lawn outside the restaurant. In the restaurant the food is prepared fresh every day and vegetables from the garden is often used.

While in Leh I ate most of my breakfasts and dinners at Oriental Guesthouse. If it was warm I sat by a table in the garden, otherwise indoors, and indoors I preferred the low tables with sofas over the tables and chairs.
For breakfast you can choose between several different set breakfasts for Rs 80 (July 2010). You can have porridge with banana, Ladakhi bread, toast, egg, salad and French fries and more. Coffee or tea is included in the breakfast.
For dinner there is a buffet with soup and several other dishes to choose from, for example daal, spring rolls, rice and pasta. Sometimes there is also a desert. You can eat as much as you want to for Rs 85. The only bad thing is that it doesn’t start until eight o’clock in the evening, and I prefer to eat earlier.
Between the meals I often had coffee or tea. A coffee was Rs 12 , mint tea Rs 10 and ginger, honey and lemon tea Rs 20. There is always filtered water available for free so that you can fill your water bottle with drinking water.

You pay for what you eat and drink when you check out. You must yourself keep track on what you eat and drink so when you check in you get a list to fill in when you order something.
There is a tip box in the restaurant so that you can give tip to the cheerful men working in the kitchen.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written December 18, 2010

View from my first room

Snowview Hotel: Stay where famous mountaineers stay

The Snowview Hotel is run by David Sonam, who is one of the most respected people in Ladakh. I've been to outlying villages, and even there people know and admire him. The Snowview is out of the way from the bustle of the Main Bazaar/Fort Road area, but close enough for easy walking to these areas. Many famous mountaineers, as well as Heinrich Harrier have stayed here.

• Written May 10, 2003

3 places: Stay with a Ladakhi family

Several places fit the title, and all are good. These include the Ladakhi Guesthouse, the Indus Guesthouse, the Bimla Hotel, the Snowview Hotel, the Oriental Guesthouse, and several others.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written May 10, 2003

• imretoth profile photo imretoth
  • Reviews: 2

oriental guesthouse: Leh's guest house

Fantastic family welcoming all tourist very kindly. If you wish so, you can learn all about the local way of life, get cooking course, etc...
A little bit outside of town, but the walk is very nice

Some rooms have a great view on teh mountain, and one is fully painted with Tibetan 'frescoes'
200-450 Rs a night

• Written September 27, 2003

• husain profile photo husain
  • Reviews: 954

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Footprints camp: Campsite by the lake

4200 meters above sea level, stark mountains all around, big huge tso moriri (the lake), snow in the distance... and your campsite in the middle of all this. Amazing!

You need to book your visit in Leh, since there is a chance that you may be the only person on the camp visiting at the time!
There was a cook who came with us in the vehicle with supplies.

if you have the words `off the beaten path' in your mind-- head here!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Eco-Tourism, Camping
  • Written December 13, 2002

tso moriri

• j-san profile photo j-san
  • Reviews: 548

Camping by Tsomoriri Lake

This is the only permanent campsite by the lake. We were in fact the only visitors at the time. Our hotel in Leh organised the accommodation. Two people per tent, all meals included. There were no showers, but a very clean "bathroom" in a tiny tent, complete with creeping vines and daisies.

Comfortable, very clean and the camp staff were helpful inevery way!

The only downside was that from around 11pm to 1am, their was a lot of signing and music coming from the settlement just above.

• Written September 9, 2002
Tip Photo

view of Tsomoriri from the campsite

Tso Kar Hotel: Stay with a Tibetan Family

Clean rooms, one of only two or three hotels where they have water you don't have to purify, a great restaurant, and a relaxing courtyard are here. Close to the Main Bazaar, and shopping areas, as well as other restaurants.

The courtyard and restaurant.

• Written May 6, 2003

• husain profile photo husain
  • Reviews: 954

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Spic and Span: Rooms with a view

There are options available to suit every budget, but we chose to stay in one of the better ones in town. A huge discount, thanx to the hotel bieng owned by a friends brother did help.
Hotel Spic and Span.
Rs 1500/ day for a double room. (About $30)
This is the rate during the tourist season. However, this year, the numbers were down thanx to the various 'travel warnings' issued by some governments. Worked well for us therefore. Perfect weather, without the usual summertime crowds of tourists, and of course- no terrorism/dangers in ladakh, unlike what the travel warnings from distant lands may have you believe.

Also, theres a relatively new hotel in town- hotel grand dragon- which is quite a modern and well equipped hotel, including central heating, which can be very handy in the winter months.

Great service, polite and courteous staff, good rooms, and reasonable food. Overall it made for a great package. (No this is not an advertisement:))

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Road Trip, Photography