Panaji Hotels

Our Members Say

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Afonso Guest House

Afonso Guest House is situated in an old Portuguese town house in the area Fontainhas. It sounded to be a nice place with a rooftop terrace so that’s where I went after arriving to Panaji. It was less than a kilometres walk from the bus stand.

When I arrived I was shown two rooms, one on the first floor next to the reception, and one on the second floor. They looked similar but the one on the second floor didn’t have a big mirror as the first floor room had, and the A/C was not working. The room on the first floor was Rs 700 and the room on the second floor was Rs 800 (June 2010). I chose the room on the second floor as it would be more quiet. It turned out the room was not Rs 800, but Rs 824 as a luxury tax was added. It was the most expensive room I stayed in while in Goa.
The room had a fan and a small table, there was a bathroom and a towel and toilet paper. There was no bedside table and in the bathroom the electricity was just under the shower (it did not feel safe).
One thing I didn’t like was that they wanted my copy of my passport. In all other hotels where I stayed in India the hotel made a copy (at the hotel or somewhere nearby). Now I was told I could make a new copy for myself at a several shops nearby. Even if the copy was only Rs 1 I don’t think that I as a customer should be the one oing this.

As it was monsoon time the tables and chairs on the roof top all stood in a heap together.

• Opinion of Price: N/A

• Avieira67 profile photo Avieira67
  • Reviews: 1004

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel República: Great location

I have booked in advance a single room in this hotel, but I had no information about the service they offer. When I arrived here by night I tryed to stay in another place because they had no more free rooms with air conditioning facing to the river.
Unfortunatelly many guest houses were full booked due to the festival in Goa Velha, and I just found rooms in guest houses with bad quality.
Certainly I returned back to Hotel República, and accepted a room located on the back. Here rooms aren't really bad, compared with many guest houses, but if you stay in one without air conditioning, bathroom comes in Indian style.

In my opinion, this guest house is well managed by a hepful and honest staff. Rooms are clean, according to Indian standards.
As I am Portuguese, it was wonderful to find here, among the staff, one guy speaking my language.
If you book in advance, ask for rooms facing to the river.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive