Dr. Dada Vaidya Road, Panaji, 403403, India

Agoda.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• Friendly staff. Tacky, ageing, outdated rooms

The hotel is quiet and well located. Friendly staff add to the positives about this hotel. Minutes after check-in I notice the toilet flush is not working. A maintenance man arrives & explains that it needs major repairs and I would move to another room. The new room is readied and I move. Arriving in the new room I request for toilet paper which is over and a new sheet as the one on the bed carries a croissant-sized brown stain. The Queen size bed I’d requested at the time of booking is improvised. It comprises of two single beds joined together. The hotel says they do not have Queen sized beds. The best they can do is two single beds joined. The beds needed to stay separate as the hotel does not have queen-size sheets. I looked around to keep my suitcase and finding no bench set it on the floor. The box TV sits to the left side of the bed on what was intended to be a dressing table. Alongside the TV - on the dressing table sits a huge thermos flask, 2 glasses, 2 mugs, an electric kettle and coffee/tea. Under the dressing table sits a bar fridge. Sorry ladies, no dressing table. Make do with the washbasin mirror as the dressing table is packed-out. There is no power point in the bathroom. Sorry gents your electric shavers will not work. Do not even think of hair dryer. Smack in the middle of a tiny shower sits a large bucket atop a plastic stool. Bizarre. I move these out of the way so that I can have space to shower. The curtains, lampshades & bed-head are all stained with oily fingerprints or curry marks. They attest to long years of wear & tear these hotel rooms have seen. I grab a book and turn in. Reaching for the bedside lamp I discover that when the overhead tube-light is switched on the bedside lamps work. If the overhead tube-light is switched off the bedside lamps do not work. I am at a loss to understand this. After all, the only time any person needs bedside lamps is when the overhead lights are turned off. It rained. A welcome change in climate. 2 days later a pungent stink hits my nose. Opening my window I am greeted by rain water which had collected on Level 2 between the stone railings of the building and the wall of my room – in a kind of trough. Mosquitoes had settled in and the water was giving out a putrid stink. I hurriedly closed the windows, shut off the aircon, turned on the fan and opened the room door for the stink to make its way out. Repairs and upgrading are urgently needed for what is now a lower-level 2 star hotel – charging prices which respected well-maintained 3 Star hotels levy.
    The hotel is a definite lower 2-Star hotel charging 3-Star prices. Be careful - exteriors can be deceptive.

Unique Quality: Quiet, well located, friendly staff

Directions: Turn into the Juma Majid lane at the foot of Panjim Church.

Comments