Hotel Ritz Inn

The Great ManThe Great Man

Brad at Jain TempleBrad at Jain Temple

Shots needed?

by supune

If I'm going to be in Ahmadabad in December how critical is it to get shots? I've been told to "definitely" get Hepatytus and Typhoid shots as well as Malaria pills.

For sure I can't take the Malaria pills.

Do travelers always take such precautions? For sure, I don't want to get sick when I'm on my trip or after. I'm just wonderng how frequent it is for someone who is only going to be in India for 2 weeks to get sick.

I'll be with some kids and possibly in the slums. So would it make it more likely that I'll need the shots. If I do go without the shots, would other travelors, consider me crazy?

thanks for your opinions and facts and number are appreciated.

RE: Shots needed?

by edwardseco

I did years and didn't mess with precautions or suffer more than flu. On the other hand I went for a short trip and got the big M. Hep is truly nasty and if you get it won't be a 2 week trip judging from what happened to my brother in law..

RE: RE: Shots needed?

by travelmad478

Hepatitis A and B are a MUST. They're not bad vaccinations, and you really, really don't want to get that disease. Plus, Hep A and B vaccines are now recommended just for your daily life, not only for travel in developing countries. Make sure you are up-to-date on polio and tetanus, also.

I have forgotten to take malaria pills for my last 5-6 trips to India and nothing's happened to me, though. (My trips are usually about two weeks.)

I have had the typhoid vaccine, which I got a while ago when I started traveling very intensively in the developing world. You probably don't need to get it right this minute, but it can't hurt to get the shot at some point.

RE: RE: Shots needed?

by robine

Sorry, but malaria is a serious disease, and you really should take the tablets.

RE: Shots needed?

by funky_pigeon

Hi,

We've been traveling around India for a couple of months and made sure that we had all the necessary injections prior to travel as your travel insurance may be at risk if you haven't taken the necessary and recommended injections. On our external website under Info page we have a Health section which lists the recommended Injections and precautions to take.

To be honest you don't want to walk away with any of the diseases that can be contracted over here and we take anti malarial drugs such as chloroquine which does not contain anti-biotics and so the side affects are minimal. We got the anti-malarials out here and they are really cheap and often what the locals use anyhow.

If you decide not to do anything, be sure your travel insurance is valid and make sure you know where the nearest hospitals are when you travel and use mossi nets and spray as prevention

Travel Tips for Ahmadabad

Janmashtami

by indiabazaar

This is how devotees think of the city where Lord Krishna settled over 5000 years ago after leaving Mathura for ever, and where he reigned for 100 years. For pilgrims Dwarka's, presiding deity remains Shri Krishna, and they flock there in their thousands from all parts of India and abroad. The temple, towering over the surrounding buildings was built 1400 years ago. It has several floors and is built of sandstone. The interior is simple while the exterior is covered with elaborate carvings.
Janmashtami, the birthday of Shri Krishna, is celebrated with great splendour. Rows of lights are lit everywhere, kirtans and bhajans are sung, sermons are delivered and Krishna is worshipped in his infant form. Thousands of people go to Dwarka to visit the temple and participate in the fair. After visiting the main temple, devotees go to Shankhoddhar Beyt. There are some other important temples, both old and new. Among these is the temple of Shank-Narayan, dedicated to the Matsyavatar, the incarnation of Vishnu as a fish. This was constructed over 200 years ago.

Comments