McLeod Ganj Hotels

Our Members Say

• udtaparindaa profile photo udtaparindaa
  • Reviews: 53

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Pine Valley: Decent budget stay

It was fine. Rooms, reception, bedding, blankets, morning tea everything was just fine. Nothing special but not bad either.

I would recommend this hotel to those who are travelling on a strict budget as this is surely value for money. Network maybe a problem sometimes in hilly areas and the room has a telephone (landline). Bathrooms have geysers and they do provide Mineral water. Bathroom Toiletries are provided but not the good ones and I would advise taking your own or buying from the local market.

Wi-fi facility is not available

Nothing unique. It's just a simple budget stay with the most basic amenities. I guess backpackers can cut a deal here. Only setback is its located in Upper Dharamshala while almost all of the tourist stuff is located in Lower Dharamshala.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 14, 2014

hotel view from Main Mcleodganj Road

• harivansha profile photo harivansha
  • Reviews: 6

Kamal Guest House: Friendly, value for money and quietness

Kamal guest house is in Dharamkot (20 mins away from Mcleodganj center) run by raj who is such a friendly and attentive man. Cooks lovely food and takes care of his guests like his own family. Room is clean. The thick blanket could be alittle unclean, especially since its heavy cotton and not washed often. You may opt for sheets to cover em. Room can get really cold as its cheap guest house without heater. But the room is spacious and well kept. Away from the noisy mcleodganj touristy area. Next to a yoga center. Its perfect place to find solace and tranquility

Very friendly Raj

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 17, 2011

• Anne121 profile photo Anne121

ANNEX HOTEL: Good hotel to stay

I really enjoyed my time at the Annex Hotel. The food was great, my room was really comfortable and it was useful to have access to WI-FI. But most of all, the owners and the staff were very friendly and most professional when I fell ill, they went to great lengths to ensure I had all I needed.

Unreal views from all rooms and rooftop Cafe.

• Written September 22, 2010

• Helenmary profile photo Helenmary

ANNEX HOTEL: GREAT PLACE TO STAY

A really great hotel! I have stay at the Annex Hotel,the rooms are very clean and comfortable with
unreal views.
The rooftop cafe, internet is great,i would highly recommend anyone stay at the Annex hotel.

Rooms with balcony,cable t.v. internet service,books exchange,travel,trekking information.
airport pickup.

• Written November 20, 2009

Annex Hotel with Balcony

• Chrischopp profile photo Chrischopp
  • Reviews: 23

Asian Plaza Hotel: Superior location in the Main Square, great views

During my initial visit to Mcleodganj back in 2006 I was immediately taken by the Asian Plaza Hotel. I remember walking up the hill from the bus stand where we managed to find parking and standing in the middle of the Main Square. The lights from the hotel sign were calling me to step in. So I did. The experience was such that when we arrived in 2009 I knew what hotel to turn to.
Mcleodganj is chock full of budget guest houses, HPTDC hotels among other upscale hotels. None of them have the superior location as Asian Plaza. Located right in the main intersection of the Main Square you are in the thick of the action. From the front steps you have a birds eye view of the main roads, shops and shoppers. From the rooms you have spectacular views off your private balcony of the mountains.
The rooms are large, neat and clean, and offer full time running water. Ask for a balcony room if they don’t show it to you upfront. The usual amenities at this price point are here such as laundry service, room service as well as a rooftop restaurant. Since 2006 the TV’s have been upgraded to LCD flat screens adding a bit more floor space for luggage storage.
Parking used to be available inside a small garage attached to the building. However with the construction of a huge new parking garage down the road from the bus stand it appears that is the go-to spot.
You really have to haggle for a discount here. Once we were checked in on my most recent visit, one of the hotel staff mentioned if we had worked the front desk gal even harder she would have come down more. The published rate for the room I took is Rs 2400 which was offered, reluctantly, for Rs 2000, tax included.
The hotel staff, outside of the front desk, are terrific. The group of guys they have employed there are genuinely a good bunch. While exploring Dharamsala one of the guys saw us on his day off and stopped to say hello. He was on his way to a wedding in his village but stopped to chat. On the day we checked out another one of the guys we came to know after 3 nights needed a ride to Dharamsala and we were happy to offer. Super guys, super place to stay.

• Related to: Religious Travel, Historical Travel, Road Trip
  • Written October 27, 2009

Front view of Hotel from Main Square

• bashboo profile photo bashboo
  • Reviews: 27

Green Hotel: Green Hotel

We really enjoyed our time here. Indulge in some of the deserts on offer in the Cafe especially the chocolate cheesecake or choc and walnut cake - both are excellent. The internet is 30 rs. for an hour and it aint bad, there is also wireless and many people bring their own laptops and sit at the tables with a cup of tea and some grub - probabyl writing travelogues! Do ask the receptionists and helpers any questions - they are local and know a lot about the area. Please also contribute to the tibetan childrens school that the hotel owner is helping to renovate/upgrade, providing meals etc. for the children.
If you dont mind using the shared shower/***ter, this will save you a fair bit off the price (in indian rupees- not if you convert to gbp for example). we didnt like the smell and look of the shared place (you can check it out before deciding). the staff are very appreciative of tips and they do work hard for them.
Laundry services are FREE if you give them your clothes before 9am. - we never made it!
THIS HOTEL WAS VERY CLEAN AND BUG FREE DESPITE THE HEAVY MONSOON RAINS.
But...dont expect someone to come around and clean your room/change sheets in the morning...you will probably have to do this yourself. Leave the doors open for a short while when you are in the room to clear out any musty smells - apart from this take EARPLUGS as the mc leod ganj dogs sleep all day and bark all night. (they are also very very friendly).

Good vegetarian food, try especially the soy chowmein, farmers breakfast, cakes.
Views are not exceptional from here.
Gates close at 12 midnight - try not to go out too late at night as you will be shaking up with the mountain cows if you do miss the "curfew".

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written August 15, 2008

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Green: Good budget option

Located on the way to Bhagsu, about 50m away from the bus station. I walked in and a Tibetan guy was sitting behind the counter next to a fridge with great looking desserts such as chocolate cheesecake and with a picture of the Dalai Lama behind him. I asked if they had a rooms available to which he replied that he had 3 different priced ones available (which he immediately discounted Rs50 off them all) and gave me keys to all three so as to take a look at them. I followed a young lad who showed me to the first which I liked and was the middle priced of the three at Rs300. He then took me to the cheapest which I didn't like and the most expensive which I liked but I had made my mind up that I would take the first. My room was clean with and a very good size with 2 single beds together, large sofa, table, wardrobe, dressing table & mirror and a balcony. The hotel does some good food especially breakfasts such as the "Big Canadian" which consisted of two fried eggs on Tibetan bread (which is kinda like a large English muffin), tofu and a large portion of potato with onions which were meant to be hash browns. There's also an internet cafe here as well. McLeod Ganj is very quiet at night except for the barking of stray dogs and there's loads of them.

• Written April 24, 2007
Tip Photo

• rajanbhatia profile photo rajanbhatia

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

asian health and spa resort: asian health and spa resort

this place is like one of the best avaliable over there ..beeen there twice and its has been a wounderful exp.
place is quite and abt 1.5 km frm Mc leoadganj and frm the hotel u'll get the best view of valley.

friendly and well maintained staff...this place got every thin frm pool table to swim pool fancy resturants - small gd lobby

• Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Religious Travel
  • Written December 11, 2006
Tip Photo

• kazintrepid profile photo kazintrepid
  • Reviews: 3

Annex Hotel (formerly Him Queen Annexe): Hotel name change

Annex Hotel is the new name for the hotel formerly knowns as Him Queen Annexe. Same owners, still great standards just a change of name.

My friends and I have stayed at the Annex Hotel many times and really it is like a home away from home. Well maintained, clean rooms with balconies, good food in the Rooftop Cafe and anything you need or require they can help you out. eg: laundry, extra blankets, directions around town etc.

Clean well maintained rooms. Great Rooftop Cafe with good views. Western toilets in every room and hot water available 24 hours/day for your showers. Cable TV in your room. Lounge upstairs to relax in or play cards and board games plus a library where you can borrow or swap books.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Hiking and Walking
  • Written November 30, 2006

• almarian profile photo almarian
  • Reviews: 5

Loseling Gueshouse: Tibetan Hospitality

This place is run by a buddhist monastry. It is not easy to get a room, because it's a very cheap an clean guesthouse.
It's a bit upon the hill and you have to walk many steps to reach it, but the view from it's roof is very nice.
MOst peaole who stay here, stay in McLeod for a longer time, which means a few month.
I didn't stay here that long, but I enjoyed my time very much.
They have rooms with bathroom, but shared bathrooms, as well.
The monks a very nice and helpful.
I stayed in a doubleroom, which was very clean, but quite small. I didn't have an own bathroom, so I only paid 75 rupees (a bit more than one euro..) single rooms with shared bathroom are 50 rs.
this prices stay same all season. I was here while His Holyness teachings, which normally let the prices rise...

the higher rooms have a phantasic view over the whole town.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, Arts and Culture
  • Written April 4, 2006

• bloooer profile photo bloooer
  • Reviews: 8

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hm Queen hotel: A filthy place

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS HOTEL IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE Him Queen ANNEXE.
I booked via the internet. I was very tired having just arrived via England delhi and 12 hours on the Jammu mail train and finally a hair raising 3 hr taxi ride from Pathankot.
I was glad to be given a romm but was shocked to find that the room was filthy. Dirt and dust everywhere. The inside of the fridge was filthy. The bed was lumpy. I made the chenge bed sheets only to see what I think was a blood stain on the thin and worn out mattress. The staffs attempt at cleaning involved no cleaning products but just cold water and old cloths. I stayed one night as I was too tired to move.
The restaurant didnt have many of the things on the menu.
So Itold them I was moving nest door.
The owner tried to get me to stay by reducing the rate but was not apologetic at all about the dirty conditions.
This hotel room was shocking. Im easygoing and I am am not picky but at this place I was concerned for my health!!!
Terence
UK

Dirt, grime stains and filth.

• Written January 29, 2005

• bloooer profile photo bloooer
  • Reviews: 8

Him Queen Annexe: A good stay at Him Queen Annexe

I stayed here for 9 nights in January 2005. The service was good and Gulzar the boss was always very polite and helpful.
My room was adequate -Satellite TV bathroom with hot water nad a shower balcony-cleaned regularly but very cold so they gave me a heater.
Laundry was washed everyday by a laundry in Mcleod ganj. Overall it is an inexpensive, simple and central hotel with great views of the valley.
Incidentally Him means snow.
Terence UK

Good service
Good views

• Written January 29, 2005

• 8Bloem profile photo 8Bloem
  • Reviews: 22

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kailwood Guest House: Great views!

Because we were a group of seven, we had a hard time finding accomodation in one guesthouse. After walking around for about 30 minutes, we found this gem: Kailwood Guest House. It has two rooms opening to the nice terrace with great views, two rooms a bit more inside, and one room totally inside. Downstairs there are two grim rooms, but they're cheap, and you can always go up to the terrace. And then there's the 180° view room... It's accessed from the outside, and has a stunning view over the woods and the valley.

All rooms have private bathrooms, with hot water (ask the staff to turn the geiser on for you), double beds and fans. Drinks, breakfast, snacks and light dinner are available and good. Rates are between Rs 150 and 250.

• Related to: Backpacking, Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 17, 2004

View from Kailwood Terrace

• lachydragon profile photo lachydragon
  • Reviews: 193

High Season - Low Season

Unlike many of the places in India where accommodation prices are determined by the time of year, McLeod Ganj sees its accommodation rates determined by the movements of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. At the time we stayed he was not in town and so the hotelliers were charging some of the cheapest rates we had seen in our travels in India so far. But we were told my one helpful hotellier that when he arrives the tariffs jump up something like 300%!! That means that if you are planning your stay in McLeod Ganj to cooincide with The Dalai Lama's teachings then you should expect to pay up to Rs.400 - Rs.600 for the accommodation that I have described.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 4, 2004

• lachydragon profile photo lachydragon
  • Reviews: 193

Sharma Guest House: Spotlessly Clean and Snow Views

My friend and I checked out so many hotels in McLeod Ganj before we decided on the HimQueen Annexe but this one was the next highest on our shortlist! Run by the lively Amin - a young guy how lived in Kashmir and moved to Dharamshala a few years ago the rooms are bright and sunny and spotlessly clean. The big advantage was that you could get a double with private bathroom and shared front balcony for Rs150 (low season - see my tip about accommodation seasons in Dharamshala)!! There is also a restaurant in the guesthouse with a pretty good menu and fantastic Kashmiri Chai - with good company, Amin is happy to show you his albums of Kashmir and trips that he has done with guests up there.

The only drawback was that to reach the hotel you have a pretty steep walk down the steps that run off from near the post-office on Jogibara Rd. If we wern't a bit hung-over from all the travelling and feeling a bit more energetic it would be a wonderful place to stay. Also the rooms looks straight up onto the most beautiful mountains and that is the big benefit of its orientation - that you get the mountain and not valley views. All-in-all a highly recommended place to stay if you are feeling fit and are after some beautiful views!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking