Attractions outside of Srinagar (Part 1)
Although Srinagar is the summer capital of the state of Jammu and Kashmir, and there are good attractions in the city and surrounding areas, there are some very beautiful attractions further beyond in the Himalayan Mountains and Afarwat Mountains. The main attractions are:
- Gulmarg ("The Meadow of Flowers"): Very beautiful mountainous region west of Srinagar with snow activities (e.g. skiing) during winter and hiking during summer. More tips and photos are at my VT Gulmarg page.
- Pahargam: "The Valley of Shepherds" (with hills, valleys, rivers etc)
- Sonamarg: "The Meadow of Gold" (with Himalayan Mountains, valleys, rivers etc)
- Ladakh: This is a vast and remote area within the Himalayan Mountains many kilometres east of Srinagar. The landscape consists of barren snow mountains dotted with villages and farmland of Tibetan people. The biggest town in Ladakh is Leh.
- Zanskar: This is one of the most remote region in the world occupied by the traditional Zanskar people.
Note that Somamarg, Ladakh and Zanskar have very old and harsh winters, and these places can only be visited during the summer months when the weather is warmer and the mountain passes are free of snow.