UG Royal Deluxe Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about Bangalore

dining at the 13th floordining at the 13th floor

Kama SutraKama Sutra

Homestay for a friendly teacher

by rachel_simhon

Hello VT friends,

I'm a friendly teacher originally from America looking for a homestay experience for one month in Bangalore. I'll be arriving February 27 into Bangalore to be volunteer teaching at the Akshara Foundation located there. When I arranged the work, I was somewhat under the impression that they could put me up with one of their staff, given that I'd be volunteering at no fee there for one month, but they got back to me telling me that this wouldn't be possible. I was a peace Corps volunteer in the Philippines for over two years, so I don't require anything at all luxurious -- I've slept on many a straw mat on the floor! I would love to stay with a family, or with another teacher who could give me some cultural orientation on the customs and traditions of Karnataka, and I'd be more than willing to help them with any travel or education-related questions or inquiries (including working with their kids on English!).

Any help or suggestions on this would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
Rachel

by bharathmv

Hello Rachel, u r welcome to India! I am from Bangalore presently on a break from hectic work for a year. The purpose of your work has touched me. I would greatly be delighted to help you in ur service. I stay with my parents n v have a very small house, i am not sure if we could accomodate u but ther's another option. U could stay in my friends place who would be kind enough to accomodate u. He is a working bachelor n he doesnt cook, so i suggest to come prepared to cook urself. Mail me at bharathmv@rediffmail.com if this would suit you and for more details.
Cheers, Bharath

by vin1

Hi Rachel,

Finding a Homestay can be hard, but needs some time. The reason is pretty simple, most people dont have a separate bedroom which they can offer to you. Even though you said, u r comfortable with a straw mat, people cannot offer that to guests(culture).Here guests are gods, they should get the same respect as the family head. If you would like to know more about the culture and customs , you need to stay with a family.
You can consider staying near to a family and spend more time with them. For any help, you can email me.
Vinod

by grease_78

Hi Rachel...
1st of all...i cant help but notice and mention...u look nothing like a conventional "teacher" !:) U could take that as a compliment..considering that u look more like a model than a teacher !:)
Anyways...i have been involved with people who have worked with the Akshara foundation..and i think wat u r planning to do is very nice !
Anyways, coming to u staying here...finding a place to stay will not be a problem...there are lots of people who can accomodate a Paying-guest..and with accomodation most of them will provide u food as well. Other than that i have a lot of friends who r staying alone as well...and could accomodate a room-mate for a while, no issues.
As far as customs and traditions...i would love to fill u in on that once u come here...and u can help me on some other language which u know and i dont, in return !
cheers, grease

by bt_karthik

hi

homestay?? nice idea. i also read you already have some offers. Well, if you are looking for someone who can take you around in the city I'am the person.
You can mail me at bt_karthik@yahoo.com, will give you my contact number.

lookin forwad for your call;

bye

by vivek_gowda

Well i will suggest to be a paying guest with any women if u failed to get as paying guset u can try to any ladies hostel it will also give a homly feeling if u got any firend!

RE: RE: Homestay for a friendly teacher

by prasanna_k

hey ,
If ur really intrested let me know one of my friend can accomadate u. once u reply to me i will talk to her.
prasanna

Travel Tips for Bangalore

BBQ Style Food with a twist

by krishsubbu about Barbeque Nation

Welcome all foodies with large Appetites, welcome the rest are also encouraged to visit this concept dining expereince.

Concept - Very Simple - The starters (Barbecue) is served on your table where you have a charcoal barbecue to roast your starters (veg or meat or fish). You can coat the starter of your choice with various sauces of the day and serve yourself hot from the oven (literally). The starters dont stop coming to your table and the variety is just mind boggling. [In my many visits I am yet to witness a repeat].

Once you are done with the starters, let the staff know by dropping the flag on your table 'down'.

This is followed by a buffet with choices from India, Chinese, Italian, etc. Go for it if! Last but not the least this is rounded by an array of desserts.

Ofcourse a small item that I always skip are the soups of the day.

The ambiance is top notch, in the evenings there is live music.

The waiters are very attentive. The kitchen is visible through a glass window.

If you are visiting in the evening or weekends, book a table else the waiting time could be quite a bit. The starters - every time it's been different and never been disappointed (note that I am a vegetarian but no complaints).

Home is where your heart is!

by KRex

Bangalore, or the town of boiled beans is cultural potpurri and a living city. Though born in bellary, bangalore is my home town from when i can remember. It gives me the freedom any human would want. This city has something for everyone. Litreally.

Comments