4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Kumarakom Lake Resort

Kumarakom's Best Hotel

by thinkdraw about Taj Garden Retreat

we stayed in a villa with private pool. the service was really good. the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
i had the best bitter gout pickle there, the chef knew about it and sent me complimentary pickles in a plastic container. (so sweet of them).

the only problem we had was the mosquitos, especially at night!

Well kept secret

by Viperjazz about KTDC Waterscapes Resort, Kottayam, Kerala

One of the best kept secrets in kumarakom, at half the cost of the nieghbouring luxuxry hotels and yet offerring the sam e level of accomodations. A very nicely built government kerala tourism dept resort with a nice spa. Excellent location and the lake facing stilt cottages are to die for. The free form pool overlooking the lake is lovely. Great landscaped grounds. hammocks under each cottage.
The service is sad, but all in all nice to stay in. resort Architecture & Interiors, the pool overlooking the lake, pricing !

Well kept secret

by Viperjazz about KTDC Waterscapes Resort, Kottayam, Kerala

Best View in Kumarakom

by LifeIsAJourney about Waterscapes

Stayed about 2 nights/3 days at Kumarakom:
1) What's good:
a) Amazing view from the Lake View Cottages, especially cottage 107 (We had the swimming pool just in front of our cottage, and the lake beyond that, JUST TOO GOOD!).
b) Price much lesser than Coconut Lagoon and the Taj resort. Both of these are next doors to Waterscapes, and offers the same view.
c) Basic Amenities: Very Satisfied: I visited during the so-called off-season (April end), and had the entire swimming pool to ourselves :).
d) Bird Sanctuary: The Bird sanctuary is inside the resort. So even if you are at some other resort, you will have to come to Waterscapes for the bird sanctuary. And it is amazing to just wake up in the morning and tread towards the bird sanctuary.
2) What's bad:
a) Food: Not worth the money. I gorged on the dinner buffet twice and ordered selective lunch twice. No variety, no typical Kerala food. I would recommend Paddy Fields Restaurant (just outside the Waterscapes resort) for some really good Kerala Fish Curry. Even Paneer (cottage cheese) dishes are good at Paddy Fields. Each cottage is equipped with 2 hammocks, a big (I mean really big) sitout balcony to just look at the wonderful tranquil waters. Each cottage is separated from the rest of the resort by a network of canals and the only path is a small bridge over these canals, giving you a lot of privacy in your cottage, hammock and the view. A most importantly, it is a KTDC resort, built on a prime property, over a huge area.

Accommodation in Kerala

by dsantosh

You can get a wide range of accommodation in the state suiting all types of people....
useful hotel web sites are
www.thesouthpark.com
Carmelia House
Penguin Resorts www.cears.com
Michael's Inn, Thekkady Royal Indian Holidays
Paradise Resorts, Kumarakom
/www.fhrai.com-Very useful site Most of the Kerala hotels above Rs1500 (USD - Rs/48) are clean and neat.

Absolutely magnificent!

by TripAdvisor Member hivoltage25

I have travelled to several places and stay only in 5* category Hotels. But this particular resort has really charmed me a lot.

It was as if i was transported to a magical world.

As you enter the resort you are cordially welcomed by the staff who helps you with your baggages with an 100 watt smile.

A welcome drink (Coconut Water) which is served as soon as you enter the resort, is refreshing.

We settled into the Meandering Pool Villa which is very unique and left me wondering how could they construct the pool in between villa's which is a very innovative and thoghtful idea. You can get into the pool directly from your room.

The wooden carvings on the ceiling is something which one must notice. Lots of hardwork has gone into contructing this Resort which is very aesthatically constructed.

The food is awesome and so is the service.

Spend a night at the House Boat, which is again good and very romantic with beautiful decorations. It's Airconditoned and the food is prepared on board fresh and served hot.

The staff are polite and courtious . Very prompt service on par with the international standards.

I would strongly recommend Kumarakom Lake Resort as Its natural and has the true heritage ambience.

Will definately visit again.

Sandy

Great choice!

by TripAdvisor Member TravelBugN

My husband and I stayed here from 12th April to 16th April 2007, and we spent the first night on a houseboat and 3 nights in the Meandering Pool Villa. It was great. The pool that we had access to from our villa was very clean and being 200 metres, it was fun to swim around in. This pool can only be used by guests living in the Meandering Pool Villas so that also made it less crowded. We found a lone frog and a few insects in the water, but its hard for them to prevent that since the property is so green all around. But they do a good job of keeping the pool clean.There is another main pool common to all guests.
The houseboat was a great experience too.They took us all over the backwaters and we ate lunch + dinner on the boat: the meal was like a multiple-course meal with mind boggling variety, and it was prepared fresh by the cook on the boat. It was delicious. We were vegetarian, but fish-lovers had the option of buying fresh fish from shops by the backwaters in Allepey and then having the cook make it for them for dinner.
We had feared that it would be too hot in April, but the Hotel property is so green and is built in such a way that one didn't really feel very hot while on the property. Of course, one did have to find more things to do indoors in the afternoon.
The food at the hotel was also superb, The buffet is quite grand, and they really make an effort to offer varied things. They don't serve the regular, unimaginative items which most Indian hotel buffets do. And they make a great effort to acquaint you with Kerala- through all your senses. I, especially, liked the idea of serving things like herbal water (good for digestion) and different kinds of sambhar (since each South Indian state cooks sambhar differently). Service was amazing-extremely attentive!
I had always heard about Coconut Lagoon in this area as being most famous, so my husband and I went to check it out. We were disappointed with the food, which was expensive, mediocre and was a simple thali. The property shocked us since it is more expensive than Kumarakom Lake Resort but so unimpressive compared to it. Even the backwater water running through the property was murky, and the rooms looked straight out of a KTDC (Kerala Tourism Dept) hotel catalogue.
We also visited the Radisson which is only 7 months old but is a gorgeous property-surpassing Kumarakom Lake Resort in beauty but also in price. Only drawbacks-1)Since it's new, there was hardly anyone there, which also means splendid service, and 2) The rooms are ultra-modern...very beautiful but if someone really wants the Kerala feel, you're not going to be satisfied here.
The room was lovely with an open air bathroom, but I was disappointed that they used a large part of the bathroom for plants rather than using it for a bathtub.
All in all-a truly relaxing holiday!

Absolute Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member jerahaldi

We stayed here in a meandering pool villa for a week and it was GORGEOUS. If I were to be critical, I would say that the food was pricey- good but I've had better.
Would we return? YES YES YES!!!
On the opposite coast, near Chennai is GTR Temple Bay hotel. If you liked Kumarakom , you will like this.

Blissful peace

by TripAdvisor Member BJB1945

We stayed here for four nights in early February. We had booked a lake view Heritage Villa, but the first one we were allocated, 107, was hardly a lake view, as it looked at the resort's boats which are moored most of the time, a footbridge and a grassy bank, beyond which was the lap pool. We went back to reception and asked for another villa. They were very happy to give us 144, which must be the very best Heritage Villa. It is at the very end of the meandering pool and has its own access to this lovely pool, but was isolated enough to feel as if we were on our own. The villa was beautifully crafted, and the shower/bathroom roomy and with half the roof missing, very refreshing in such a humid climate. If you book a Heritage villa, you get a bowl of fruit replenished each day and also a dish of assorted nuts, sweets etc. Unlimited bottled water was also supplied. We enjoyed the buffet, and didn't bother with the fish a la carte restaurant. The buffet has a huge range of food at every meal, and although there have been comments on here about the food being bland, we certainly did not find this. I think it depends on what you choose. Certainly if you don't want spicy, you have to choose the Continental/European dishes as asking if something is spicy will always elicit the response "No, no madam" but it always was! The staff were all delightful and nothing was too much trouble. We did have a massage, which was messy to say the least, but a good experience. We didn't use the overnight boat option, having had three nights on the Oberoi Vrinda, which could never be matched. However, we enjoyed the sunset cruise,a guided walk around the local village and boat building yard and also borrowed bikes, all of which were free. Internet access was available and a newspaper was delivered to our villa every day. Our only reservation about this place was that there is not a separate bar and to have just a drink means you have to sit at a table in the a la carte fish restaurant, which is always laid up for meals. It doesn't feel very bar-like. Local gin is much cheaper than imported, as there is a 90% import tax! We loved this resort and would definitely go back.

Spectacular setting. Service could be better.

by TripAdvisor Member ianp1

There's no denying that this resort has a really idyllic setting. The views onto the lagoon are just stunning and the landscaping is a real success. You have lots of villas, which are scattered throughout the resort. To get to ours, we had to cross several bridges and streams. Others are located around a meandering pool.
The decor of the rooms is a real success. The whole interior is wonderfully refined, with lots of woods, a really nice frieze behind the bed and this wonderfully ornate lock on the door.
The breakfasts here were definitely the best that we ate throughout our two weeks in the south of India. We actually had all our lunches at the seafood restaurant... where you can dine on lobster for prizes that you could never dream of paying in Europe (or the States).
For me, the real highlight of the stay were the massages I had at the spa. I'm into deep tissue massages and I got a couple of wonderfully vigorous treatments. Some of the best that I've ever experienced.
Another nice touch is the fact that they offer you tea on the lawn at the end of the afternoon. There are some delicious local cakes and these cute white rabbits who bob around between the tables.
As you've probably gathered, the resort does have so much going for it. So, it was just a shame that there are a few things which let it down. Most notably, the service. It wasn't bad or rude. It was just far too laidback and nonchalant. After my first spa treament, I was left sitting there for about 3 minutes before somebody appeared so that I could make another appointment. On a couple of occasions, there were no more than two tables taken at the seafood restaurant... and nevertheless, we had trouble getting the attention of the waiters.
The most puzzling thing to me was the outside area of our villa. We booked one with a private pool. What surprised me was that nobody had thought of providing any facilities to sunbathe by the pool. There was actually very little space, but within what existed, there was nothing to lie down on—just the terracotta tiles on the ground. I just didn't get what the designers of the resort were thinking—that you have this private pool and take a dip in it... and then have to trek all the way down to the communal swimming pool in order to lie down on a sunbed? It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, I immediately asked if they could bring us some sunbeds... which didn't arrive. After about five calls and two hours (!), we were finally provided with a couple of outdoor mattresses. So, at least we could sunbathe in private.
Another thing which you should be aware of is the fact that not only the shower and sink are outside. The toilet is too... and it's in full view of the private pool. That might not be too much of a problem if you're a couple, but if you're travelling with your aunt or something like that, the situation could get uncomfortable.
One last word... and this one of praise. The resort really does an excellent job of eliminating mosquitoes. We expected there to be masses, but they went round with a treatment in the early evening and we didn't get bitten once. Something of a miracle! Oh yes, we also hired a car to take us to Cochin airport through the hotel and the driver was an absolute genius behind the wheel.

Kumarakom: KerelaKumarakom: Kerela

Kumarakom backwaters: KerelaKumarakom backwaters: Kerela

Kumarakom Hotels

by shalin

Hi all!

Have you heard of the KTDC Waterscapes Resort at Kumarakom? If you have been there, I would love to hear about it....we are thinking of staying there this Dec, for 3 nights.

Thanks!!:)
shalin

Re: Kumarakom Hotels

by bungi333

I think it should be good. You can also check out Coconut Lagoon and Philipkutty Farm.

Re: Kumarakom Hotels

by shalin

Honeymoon in Kumarakom

by cyrilranjith

Hi Friends,

I'm planning my honeymoon during 2nd of Decemeber in Kumarakom, Kerala. I need some suggestions/tips. I'll be staying in Kumarakom for 6 nights / 7 days. Currently I've chosen the "Lake View Cottage" at Backwater Ripples for 4 nights and 2 nights at the house boats. Please advice if Backwater Ripples resort is a good place to stay or not? Also, let me know the attractions and fun activities in and around Kumarakom. I dont have interest to travel long distances and I prefer to stay in 1 place and enjoy my honeymoon at leisure. Any pointers is highly appreciated. Please do mention the things I must see and shouldn't miss during my trip.

Thanks,

Munnar or Kumarakom or both in June

by abdullahchougle

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to visit Kerala in the the second week of June from Mumbai. Please advise which place will be better to visit, Munnar or Kumarakom. How will the weather be then?

Thanks,
Abu

Re: Munnar or Kumarakom or both in June

by Avijayan

If your lucky the monsoon should be on its way out, as this year early monsoons are predicted in the west coast.

Kumarakom has the backwaters and the charm of gods own country, Munnar is a hill station, if you have enough days, spend 2 days in Munnar and 2 days in Kumarakom

Re: Munnar or Kumarakom or both in June

by BimalKuriakose

Hi,
in June Monsoon will start in Kerala. Munnar will be great if you like the rains in Hills.
kumaragom is not that great. But If you go for a some posh packages of cgh group then it will worth.

Comments