Johnson's The Nest Homestay

Alleppey, Alappuzha, Kochi, Kerala, 608888, India

Satisfaction Average

• a bad experience

Johnson told me about his cats and dogs in advance, but I had no idea, that I have to sleep in a intensive catpissing smelly room and dogshit lying arround in the garden. No warm water, but at least clean bathroom. I went to the kitchen to ask for some tea, nobody there so I had some time to look arround. I decided not to eat anything at that place, because I got afraid to get sick. Dining room the same. I was wondering what his staff is doing all day long, cleaning definelty not. Johnson was friendly, trying to sell me his houseboat-thing, told me rooms are simple, because people usualy want to stay just one night to go on the boat the other day. Defenetly I understand that nobody wants to stay longer than one night at that place, it can only get better : )

More about Kochi

A well laid out storeA well laid out store

Bazaar RdBazaar Rd

Directer Devan explaining the PantomimeDirecter Devan explaining the Pantomime

Basillica in KochiBasillica in Kochi

Need advise Cochin or Hyderabad

by hevuelto

Hy,

I will do a 3 month internship in Cochin or Hyderabad, in a couple of months. I would like to know which one is the best place to stay for 3 months: everyday life, weather, nightlife, people, things to do in town,..

All your advices are VERY welcome, it'll really help me to make up my mind!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Re: Need advise Cochin or Hyderabad

by PierreZA

Are you doing a medical internship?
I've been to Cochin during March. There is so much to do. The people are great and very friendly. The culture and food as well!
During my travel, met an Australian guy doing his internship and enjoyed the area very much
Please ask if any questions

Re: Need advise Cochin or Hyderabad

by cochinjew

I certainly would recommend Cochin. while there you can also get ideas about alternative medical therapies, and the cochin model of health care. (this is in case you are in the field of medicine) Cochin is a wonderful place to spend a few months.
tienes algunas mas preguntas, avisame.

Travel Tips for Kochi

My take on India's future

INDIA and ITS FUTURE
This is a personal opinion. It is rather dim from many points of view. The economic development is so uneven, with hardly any investment in infrastructure or human potential.
Health care for every one, even though touted as existent, is near non existent.
Roads are full of pot holes and every day there is power cut of electricity.
The health status of the population has so deteriorated that the young and capable are dying of heart disease and India has the dubious distinction of being the Diabetes Capital of the world
Traffic is a metaphor for the selfishness of the society and lack of discipline.
If I were you, I would watch China! That is the model to follow. Don’t get lost in the haze of the discussions about Democracy.
Each day there are bombs going off somewhere or other. Northeastern states have an ongoing insurgency very similar to the ones in Myanmar. Moslems are becoming more and more militant and each year quite few die because of terrorism.

Taken to Lunch

by cochinjew about Palms Restaurant at Metropolitan

When invited to go to Lunch, I suggested that we go to Palms restaurant. As I was leaving the very same afternoon for Bombay and Paris, a nice lunch was welcome. It is expensive by Keala standards, about 500 rupees for lunch but then again it is the best you can get. Because of the monsoon, they were throwing in a cocktail free with lunch. didnt get much buzz though, nice pineapple tasting cocktail and they said they had added gin once again i tasted a variety of the foods, and this time the chef joined me in explaining the various dishes. Malayalees are extremely friendly and they are very happy that a visitor would make extra effort to come and eat at their place. this is my third time there
kerala fish curry
parottas
dosai
various vegetable condimetns
tapioca with fish curry

i had lunch there on 13th july. it is still the best. the general manager joined us when wew were having lunch and the attention was superb.
you could finish the dinner with payasam which is a local dessert

Mantancherry Palace

by kentishgirl

This was an interesting place to visit and a must see if only to see the leftovers from the Dutch colonial days!
There was a small fee to get into Mantancherry palace, it was not much and to see inside was pretty cool. I don't remember being allowed to take any photos inside though.
The grounds were pretty and the most memorable thing about here for me was a man outside trying to sell me 200 Marlboro Ciggies for a few hundred Rupees and not taking no for an answer!!!

Jew Town

by PierreZA

There is a very special atmosphere in Jew Town. Although very touristy, it is a great place to stroll around. The many, many shops selling 'antiques' en reproductions are wonderful to browse around.
This is also where you will find the synagogue.
The Pepper Exchange is another, unique place you will find in this area.

watch the sunset observing the fishing nets

by cochinjew

as the day ends people seem to congregate tin the area where there are fishing nets and brisk sales of fresh fish. you could also get them fried and eat it on the spot

These chinese fishing nets were brought to Cochin by the indefatiguable Chinese Admiral Zheng He during his 7 voyages four of which he might have stopped in Cochin. Siliar chinese fishing nets are found in Laos, Cambodia and myanmar..

Comments