Old Lighthouse Bristow Hotel

Beach Road, next to INS Dronacharya, Kochi, Kerala, 682001, India

Old Lighthouse Bristow Hotel
Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Worst hotel of our lives

We had the worst hotel experience of our lives at this place -- don't stay here!! Extremely overpriced for what it is. Not ready for prime-time. The veneer of being an upscale hotel is very thin. Looks beautiful in the pictures, and has some beautiful elements, but the pool was dirty, mosquitoes which the hotel is not managing, the "lounge" is a bunch of tables in the grass.

In terms of our stay, in one room, the bathroom did not come with the normal accoutrements (toothpaste, soaps, etc) and it took about 45 minutes to have them delivered; a fuse blew and the air conditioner did not work on the second night. My room was not cleaned until 10:30 pm. The other room in our party was not ready until FIVE HOURS after check-in time, and the hotel staff was not at all apologetic.

The general manager was rude, grandiose and unhelpful.

More about Kochi

Interior of AmayInterior of Amay

Train station- CochinTrain station- Cochin

Colourful boatsColourful boats

with compliments of a hotel promising nice staywith compliments of a hotel promising nice stay

Travel Tips for Kochi

Checking into Jet Airways at COK

by cochinjew

Checking into Jet Airways counter at Cochin
Since jet airways have a mutual agreement with both air france and continental airlines
I went and stood in the Premiere class line which was empty
The gentleman behind looked like a novice at this game and a tall young man was helping him
The three bags in total weighed 53 kg, 13 kg overweight
And I saw him calculate the excess weight of 2530 inr. But I started talking to him
And showed him our air france gold and continental platinum
He checked us in, didn’t charge the excess and was polite and without asking, gave us apass to the lounge
Which was kind indeed.
I asked him for his name
Jinson
Or jinsen
Reminded me of the Danish designed Jensen, I told him
Is the flight delayed, just twenty minutes and I will come and get you.
Jinson had come in tp the lungefor some other errand, I called him over and told him, as I handed him a one peso note from Cuba. He had earlier asked, in that tilting manner of the malayalee, are you basically from Kerala?
Where are you from? I asked the question, I am basically from Cochin he answered.

I handed him a peso note and pointing out to Jose Marti who adorns the Cuban peso note, I said
He is like Gandhi to you, a great intellectual and a great man. You must learn something about him. Also this would bring good luck to you, keep it in a safe place. He couldn’t believe it, but accepted it gracefully.
I had another cappuccino and another glass of cucumber cooler which was true to its name.
I saw Jinson coming over again, I looked at the watch , the flight was supposed to arrive at 12 45 pm and it had not arrived . he came over and asked for our boarding passes and said
Both of you have been upgraded. I was happy about that ready to enjoy the benefits of a first class ride on an Indian airlines.
I thanked him mentally, and here it is an excellent example of transaction of symbols.
A little later, another jet airways employee, a lady this time, came over to say that we could go over to the security.

The ancient fishing nets.

by ranger49

The first sighting of the Cheenavala - Chinese fishing nets - is quite remarkable if - like me you have never before even seen a picture of them.
We first saw them towards the end of our Backwaters cruise as the sun was setting. They seem to emerge from the water like a giant spider making a huge web of netting.
The frames are made of wood and operate on a basic mechanical system inventented in China. It is said that they were first introduced to Kochi by traders plying the silk and spice routes from the Court of the Kublai Khan in the 14/15th Century.
Like so many inventions that at first seem complicated their operation is quite simple, though delicately balanced to match changing water depths and tidal movements and the weights used in lowering and raising them.
At one time the catch from the frequent, daily lowering and raising of the nets could produce 40 kilos per day - a good catch for independent fishermen. But it can take half a dozen or more to operate the nets throughout the day.They have to pay the owner of the “contraption” rent and then share the profits from the catch on a cooperative basis.
The 2005 Tsunami in this region had an adverse impact on fish stocks and catches now are much lower.

The fish that are caught are sold in ad hoc market stalls along the beach. a colourful stop for tourists as well as locals.

Princess Street

by illumina

Kochi was under the rule of many foreign empires, from the Portuguese to the Dutch and finally the British. Princess Street shows these influences in the style of architecture of the old colonial houses, each of which borrows from the fashion of their home nations. The end result is a very quaint little street which it is a delight to stroll up and down.

Ideal for a honeymoon

by cadzand

Yes !! If I had to do it over, it would be on a houseboat on Kerala's Backwaters for a couple of days. Our boat had two bedrooms (with a view Oooo !!!) a separate bathroom and toilet, a kitchen, an upper and a lower terrace.

natural kerala

by tranceperent

"amazingkerala"

god's own country as it is called, its the best place for tourist coming to india.
its rich culture with amazing natural surroundings makes one feel at ease.
a must visit for anybody visiting india

Comments