The International Hotel

More about Kochi

Ambulance boatAmbulance boat

tamarindtamarind

TumericTumeric

Vijaya is a member of the panchayatVijaya is a member of the panchayat

Visiting Kerala

by Radha1587

Hi,
I would be visiting Cochin, Kumarakom and Thekkady in June with my friends. We already have a hotel reservation, I just wanted to know whether we can avail just the pick up and drop facility few times. We dont want the driver to stay with us for all the time. I made some inquiries, but I noticed that the travel agents there dont provode you such facility and you get a cab for the whole time. If anybody knows where such pick-up and drop facility is available, please let me know the details.

Also, if anybody could guide me about a travel agent who can book a train ticket from Cochin to Mumbai, it would be great.

by lynnehamman

Hi

I don't think that you will find a 'pick up & drop' facility in India- best to use a taxi.
And for booking train to Mumbai- have a look at the online booking service:

It can save you a lot of money by doing it yourself- agents will charge fees that are overblown.

by Radha1587

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Considering what I have heard about the Taxi and rickshaw services in Kerala, I feel they charge exhorbidant rates to any tourist. Is that true?

With regards to booking the train ticket online, I have tried it. However since the booking status is waiting list, I had no other alternative than booking through an agent. So if you are aware of any, please do let me know

by lynnehamman

The taxis in India are not so bad- PROVIDED you negotiate a fare that suits you, and is reasonable- its fine to use them.
I still think that you can book online a train ticket- wait until mid- June and try again.

by Avijayan

Kerala taxi and auto's are not as bad as its made to sound, they are any other Indian city and charge higher rates for tourists. I'm sure your hotel will have a travel desk or a kilometer around you will find cab travel office.

As for the train i think your referring to the Tatkal quota, if you google you should find travel agencies around wherever your looking in Mumbai. If its by A/C your looking, might make sense to travel by flight, likely to be Rs1000/ higher per person, compared to the a/c train fare + the tatkal cost + travel agent fee, it will save a lot of head ache and saves a lot of time and energy.

by lincylucy

Yes ofcourse, http://www.keralatoursandholidays.com/ arrange everything what you require. Can you contact them. They helped my freinds many times. They even arrange flight tickets.

by bungi333

You can use the same site to check you waitlist status. If it isn't so bad, it might clear.

I would concur with the rest about taking a cab. You can negotiate a good deal. From what i heard, you could get a cab for Rs. 1200 from Kochi to Kottayam, which is close to Kumarakom. It takes about 3 hours by road.

Thekkady is about 3 hours from Kottayam. So it should cost around the same.

Travel Tips for Kochi

Fort Cochin

by SirRichard

Theoldest and most interesting part of Cochin is this peninsula located in Cochin Bay, once dutch and portuguese colony. It's got a lot to see: Chinese Fishing Nets, Dutch Palace, Jew Synagoge, old tiny alleys...

From Cochin Port to Cochin Airport

by cochinjew

Greetings from Cochin.. i am here just for the day.. and Sunil from the Touristland Tours and Travels tells me that one and half hours for the ride from the port to the airport and then at least one hour before the flight. you might want to ask the taxi driver to show you some sights on the way..if you have any questions sunil will answer for you +919387777113
you can check my tips on the frustrations about transport in and around Cochin.

Chinese Fishing Nets

by muddybok

The Chinese introduced these fishing nets here and they are the only one of its kind in India. The early design of the Chinese fishing net structure was made of bamboo and overtime they change it to wood for better durability and probably increase in size too.

This nets will need about 4-6 person to operate and the basic concept is to dip the net into the backwater and raise it after few minutes to see any catch in the net.

I have a chat with one of the fisherman who is inviting me up to his net structure and allowing me to click my camera like crazy. He was explaining that during high tide, they are less likely to lower the net for fear that the current will break the structure. Before they lower the net into the water, they will release 2 or more ropes (found on land at the side wards of the structure) that tight the net up using some counter balance method. Once the ropes are released, they will lower the net and 2 of them will be climbing up the structure that spread the nets in order to add weight and press the net into the water.

When it is time to raise the net, all of them will be pulling ropes at the middle section with extra weights (rocks) that make up part of the fish net structure. There must be lots of physic rules need to be applied here. And you gotta trust Chinese and Indian to perfect the formula.

Snake Charmers

by suvanki

We encountered this snake charmer near St Francis Church. As someone who used to have a phobia about snakes, I was surprised that I allowed myself to get so close.

It was quite an entertaining performance, as he played a wooden penny whistle, first to entice one cobra to dance, then releasing a second from its basket. so they were both moving in rhythm.

I don't know who the lady is in the second picture, but she was a lot braver than me!

If you see him, and you want to take a photo, probably best to offer a few rupees!

Visit the Jain Temple

by PierreZA

Well worth the visit. The Jains are very friendly and welcomimg people. You will be showed around, and are allowed to take pictures (if you want to). You should spend some time at the office next to the entrance, where you can learn more about this old religion.
It is not just one building, but rather a few buildings in the temple-complex.

Comments