Abad Harmonia Beach Resort

Hotel Sea FaceHotel Sea Face

Room in the Marina KovalamRoom in the Marina Kovalam

Tipping?

by DebBowers

Another question! Can anyone advise on the subject of tipping,such as how much for room maids/boys,taxis and in restaurants etc. What is appropriate, also if you go on trips/backwaters for staff on boat? Many thanks.

by ashisharyan

well mate its ur wish but i would recommed tips like these for normal places:

room maids: Rs 20 for the first time and Rs 50 on whole
taxis:rs 10-20
resturants:rs 15-50 depending upon the place U eat

dont pay that much on tips as everytime they will looks for tips when its not even required...

enjy ur vacation...

by ashzuko

I agree with the amounts above and also about not letting them get used to it (in some cases)! One hotel that I stayed at in Mumbai, the room boys were very rude and pushy about tips! I was giving them 10-20 each time, one time one of them brought me something and I honestly had no cash on me, I said sorry and I went to close the door and he put his hand out to stop it and said "Where is my tip?"!!!! But that said that was in Mumbai and at a nicer hotel (my version of nicer anyway...over Rs1000 a night). I never had problems like that in other places. At one hotel in Udaipur (Panorama...the best place I have ever stayed!) my boyfriend and I got on really well with the waiter there and gave him a few hundred rupees as a tip when we left...he looked at us like we had given him a million dollars and shook both our hands twice!!!

by tensriram

Tip on arrival and than at the time of departure;
Rs10/- uniformly is considered graceful

Travel Tips for Kovalam

Alcohol!!

by suvanki

My first night in Kovalam, I was ready for a cold beer, but on walking past the restaurants, I hadn't spotted anyone with a glass of beer/lager.
Everyone seemed to be supping tea!
Eventually, I gave up, and walked into a restaurant, reckoning I would be drinking a fruit drink.

The waiter whispered "Gin & Tonic?" I asked if he had beer, he said yes. This was shortly presented to me in a teapot with a mug!!

The laws on selling alcohol in Kovalam (and Kerala) can be a bit confusing. Officially it's not to be consumed in public places, or non designated places, such as bars.

Dry days can be enforced too, according to festivals etc.

In other restaurants I was served Kingfisher beer with the bottle wrapped in newspaper, sometimes placed under my table.

Cocktails were often listed with non alcoholic ingredients, but the waiter checked which spirit you wanted adding!

If the police were patrolling, the waiters could get a bit jumpy!

A few hotels serve alcohol.

There is a government liquor store at Kovalam junction, just hire a tuk tuk.

Probably a good idea to stock up with your fave spirits etc at Bahrain etc. duty free or bring from home!

Pastries and more!

by suvanki about German Bakery

Popular restaurant, probably best to book.

Open all day, The smell of cinnamon and baking greets you!

Good for breakfast/elevenses/lunch or evening meal.

Coffee and pastries (good selection)

Extensive menu
Friendly service
Good cocktails

Up a couple of flights of steps, so not good for those with walking/breathing problems. 3 of us ate here, our last meal of our holiday. We all enjoyed our starters, main course and dessert..oh and a few cocktails!

I had a chicken and ginger dish, generous portion! Ice cream for afters, can't remember which starter I had :-(

AyurvedicTreatments

by suvanki

Ayu (life) Veda (knowledge). The Science of Life! Ayurveda has been practised in India for centuries, and is considered to be a rich complex body of knowledge in which disease can be understood, diagnosed and treated.

Although becoming increasingly popular in Western countries, Ayurveda was forced to "go underground" during British Colonisation, with it's education and practice being banned! Nowadays, this practice has regained its importance as a preventative and treatment model.

To gain true benefit, a course of prescribed treatments would be recommended, with care taken to chose a suitably qualified practitioner.

However, as a 'one off' relaxing experience, and the chance to try something different, I 'd recommend it!

There are many establishments to chose from in Kovalam.

I went to the Hotel Neptune. There is a "menu" of treatments I chose a rejuevenation massage (oil massage) which lasted about an hour , followed by Dhara, (about 45 mins) Herb infused oil is trickled onto your forehead from an overhead pot, in a gentle rhythm.

Both treatments were extremally relaxing. Though it took me quite a while to shampoo the oil out of my hair, and the massage probably had the bonus of exfoliating my skin, as even though I'd showered carefully, there were still some grains of sand stuck to my skin!

Care must also be taken in the sun afterwards, as you fry with the oil thats left on your body...I was only in the sun for about 5 mins, and I burnt.

Would try these treatments again, and some others.

Kovalam - the ultimate in relaxation

by PeterVancouver

"Kovalam Beaches"

Kovalam consists of three successive small crescent beaches; the southern most known as Lighthouse Beach, is where most of the visitors spend their time. The beach is bordered with low cost lodging houses, and restaurants which offer adequate facilities, at affordable tariffs - ideal for a long stay providing you dont mind crowds. or the commercialism of hundreds of small shops along the beach trying to sell you absolutly everything under the sun.
The middle beach, overlooked from a rocky headland by the five star Ashok Radisson resort, functions each morning as a base for local fishers.
North of Ashok, is the third beach which is very little affected by the changing times. It is dotted with a few rudimentary wooden fishing vessels After spending 60 hours on Indian railways, travelling down the West Coast, our stop at Trivandrum and our stay at Kovalam were probably the highlights of our trip in India The best time to visit the area for some very pleasent weather is between late November and the end of March

"Lighthouse Beach Kovalam"

Southernmost beach with far more people and low cost accomodation than the two bays north of here

"Railway to Southern India"

Comments