Beach & Lake Resort

Kovalam KarnivalKovalam Karnival

Ground floor verandah of Marina KovalamGround floor verandah of Marina Kovalam

Have things changed

by Brynnwelch01

I visited Kovalam in 2004 and stayed at the Uday Samudra Hotel. Then it was a small hotel with the rooms surrounding one outside pool. I have just booked a holiday at the same hotel for November this year and see that it now is much larger with 3 pools and a lot more rooms. My question is : - Has the increase in the tourist capacity of this hotel spoilt the small beach by bringing in too many tourists. Are the outside bars and shacks ( for eating ) now full of tourists. Anyone got any advice they can give to me.

by kristieh

We will be staying at the Samudra Hotel in February, which is next door to the Uday Samudra and we have been told that there are a few beach shacks on Samudra beach which are really good. I can't think that it would be too busy, we were in Kovalam on Lighthouse beach last year and was just as nice as it was when we first visited in 2005.

I'll check it out and post an anwser to your question on my return.

by obiwanwasabe

Hiya
We too are booked into this hotel in Feb and have just received information from our tour operator stating that there is building work being done at the moment includung platering and plumbing work so it looks like they are expanding some more.

by kristieh

That's worrying - Are the building works going on at the Uday Samudra Hotel or the Samudra Hotel? We're staying at the Samudra Hotel and have not heard anything about any works.

by DebBowers

We are staying at the Uday Samudra in Feb and were worried about reports of building work going on. I contacted First Choice who we are booked with and they have said that "they were only advising passengers travelling up to April 2007 that they might be affected by the building work. Therefore by the time we travel the building work will have been completed for nearly 1 year"
If anything was to change they would advise us. We haven't heard anything since. Have read reports from people returning from their holiday at the Uday Samudra and there doesn't seem to be any major works going on just a little decoration wwhich we wouldn't be bothered about. Hope this is of some help.

by obiwanwasabe

I have done a lot of searching around and it looks like the notice I got from the tour operators is wrong and that the building work was last year, I have also emailed the hotel and that bounced back so I have emailed the hotel owners in Mumbai but so far (3 days later) have not had a reply.
Everything points towards the letter I got being wrong.

Nick

by FERNIE1960

Hello

I've stayed in Kovalam near the Uday Samudra 4 times, the last time being 2006 and yes it has changed a lot ! Unfortunately the Hotel takes up almost the whole beach front now although when I was there there were still a few independent reasturants still open. A lot of the people staying at the Uday Samudra seemed to stay within the hotel at night for their meals and ' entertainment' so the resturants and shacks were not full. I think some of the local people have been squeezed out by the hotel as they seem to have taken over the area somewhat. Every time I go back things have altered some good and some not so good although having said all that what a beautiful place for a holiday - and I would go back tomorrow!! Have a great time.

Travel Tips for Kovalam

This place is for the mature tourist.

by alycat

Kerala is a destination for an individual who has been to places such as Goa, where the emphasis is more on the partying than nature. Dont expect kerala to be a wild party zone like Goa where sunset means more fun and more booze. The tourism officials are also quiet strict here with nudity and drugs on the beach.

Sunset in kerala brings along food n classical dances, and, if u might prefer, a massage near the beach. Tourist from all over the world have made kerala a must see location on thier India itinary, so have a thought and let the revellers enjoy themselves.

In this snap here, it must a portugese girl. what an amazing face.

Pic courtesy: syed-arshad@virtualtourist.com (just one of the monkeys)

Terrace View

by wrldtravler about Coral Reef Cafe

This is the Restaurant at the Jeevan Ayurvedic Beach Resort what makes it different from the others is that it has an open air terrace fringed by palms and with spectacular views of the beach and sea. Ideal for sunsets and dinner. Go with the fresh Seafood.

Lighthouse Beach

by tim07

This crescent shaped beach is the main beach at Kovalam. It attracts the most tourists and therefore has the most facilities. It didn't feel too crowded when I visited and still seemed to have a local atmosphere. As well as shops there are many places here to have a meal.

The Coconut Coast

by barkingcreek

We visited Kovalam at the time of the sunami which thankfully,didn't directly affect us,so our visit may have been coloured by recent events.
For busy night life visit Lighthouse Beach with its many restaurants and shops. During the day there's Rockholm Beach which is relativeley quiet. sun beds are available for about 100 rs . You can watch the fishermen haul their catch

"Kathkali"

These plays are traditional and some can last all night. We saw a 1/2 hour version especially for tourists in Cochin. It's very interesting and you can get some good pics to put on your wallpaper at work

Comments