Hill & Sea View Beach Resort

Elephant ProcessionElephant Procession

Fishing boatsFishing boats

travelling with kids

by dippyem

Hi there, I am looking for any hints, tips so that we can make the best of our time in Kovalom. We are staying at the Leela January 25th for two weeks and are bringing our son who will be three by then.
We have travelled long haul with him already and have sorted out jabs etc.
He should be fine with food due to his mummies curry addiction he can eat most things although I will be v. careful with water
I am also assuming that we will have loads of local kids on tow at the beach as ours will probably act as a kiddy magnet, this is absolutly fine.
Although we do like somewhere nice to stay we do like getting out and about and seeing what is going on locally.
We would like to do a few trips and if possible go on a short back water tour and I think that there may be a festival at the time that we are there.
Any advice will be welcome.Thanks for your help it will be greatly appreciated.

Re: travelling with kids

by laney6

hi there,i was in kovalam in march of this year. the beaches are lovely but there was lots of hassle from the hawkers{there again, i was in india!}. be sure to visit the capital trivandrum, i visited three times in two weeks. lots to see there and i bought some gorgeous silk from parthas material shop.
i also went down to cochin for three days and i think that was the best part of the trip, there was so much to see and do there.i stayed at the chiramel homestay in cochin, reasonable and with lots of character. i didnt do the backwater cruise as they seemed to be quite expensive.
as for the festivals there seems to be one every other week, my advice would be to take some ear plugs as the music starts very early and finishes late into the night. the one at our local temple went on for ten days, after the initial excitment the novelty soon wears off through lack of sleep.
have a lovely holiday!

Travel Tips for Kovalam

Take a walk around

by AcornMan

It's worth your time to walk around and explore the less visible parts of the town behind the larger buildings that line the beach. It's a swampy area with paddy fields crisscrossed by a network of raised paths on berms. You'll find some interesting sights back there, along with some unique shops too, such as tailors who will measure you and custom-make all sorts of clothes for you within just a few hours.

Backwater cruise - part 1

by tim07

From my hotel at Kovalam I went on a sunset cruise around the backwaters near Poovar. The drive to Poovar took about 30 minutes. I then embarked on a 2 hour cruise. The backwaters were just so serene, there was hardly any noise, except for the boats engine.

The cruise took me around the river and lake, giving me a close up view of the vegetation. There were chances to spot many different birds and take in up close the areas lush green plants and trees. I particularly loved the reflection of the palm trees in the still water. Every so often you would see locals going about their daily lives, such as washing or fishing.

Kerala. Gods Own Country

by kadaltheeram

"Lighthouse Kovalam, fishermen hauling their nets"

I came to Kerala, S. India for the first time in 2001.....little did I know it would change my life. I had been to many places in the world but this was different. The people are so kind and genuine and the area so beautiful that I kept on coming back. Eventually I bought land over here in 2004 and started a business and come over here from January - March to help run it and escape from the British Winter.
I think I was very lucky to come to Kerala as my first visit as it is the richest state in India so you do not experience the poverty so much as you probably would in other states. The temperature throughout the year is fairly constant...25 - 34 degrees and even when it rains it's not a major problem as it is warm rain.
The pace of life is much slower here and nothing gets done quickly which can be a pain sometimes....but chill....it's Kerala..... and when your sat under the coconut trees still waiting for the builder to arrive it doesn't seem that bad at the end of the day when he hasn't.

Quaint Fishing Town

by wrldtravler

"A Place Where Everyone Knows Your Name"

Located on the Western coast of the Indian Peninsula is the state of Kerala. Kovalam is approx. 12 km from the capital Trivandrum and is easily accessible by rickshaw or taxi. Kovalam is a village encompassing three major beaches and a few smaller ones.
The Lighthouse Beach (named after the lighthouse that stands on one end), is by far the most popular of the three. Most of the good restaurants and hotels are on this stretch of beach. It is also where everyone congregates and celebrates the fruits of travel.
The second is the Hawah (Wind) beach and the third is the private beach for the Kovalam Hotel.
Kovalam is known to have good surfing conditions during on-season (oct - mar) with waves reaching upwards of 6 meters.
During off season (mar - june) the surf isn't that safe as the waters get quite choppy and the under current gets stronger as we get closer to the monsoons. But this is the best time to come to Kovalam if your on a low budget trip. In addition to the lower prices there are fewer travellers and this is great news because it enables you to actually meet some of them and strike up a friendship.

Comments