Sea Rock Hotel

Estuary Island resortEstuary Island resort

The bayThe bay

The View from my balconyThe View from my balcony

Sun FunSun Fun

Does anyone have an update.

by Brynnwelch

Have any travellers been to Kovalam, especially the Uday Samudra Hotel, this year who can give me an update on my earlier question on Have Things Changed over the past four years. Thanks in advance to all who may respond to this request. Brynn and Pam Welch. Stafford, England.

by Chintoo

Hi Brynn,

Being a travel adviser i have been to Kovalam for dozens of time ... A very nice place for relaxation... Uday Samudra is a good hotel worth the price but i would highly recommend a different hotel close to Kovalam i.e. Poovar Island Resort, far better than Uday Samudra or uncomparable to anyother hotel of that region.... Simply amazing!!! they have floating cottages which could be the best experience of your trip.

by isssb

I have a quote at Rps 3800/= nite with b/fast for 2. Is this rate alright to pay for this place?

by Chintoo

dependning on the travel dates... the rate seems really the best deal for winters if talking about Poovar.. also be specific for floating cottages...

Travel Tips for Kovalam

Kovalam-sphare

by yumiyun

Kovalam was once a fishing village turned completely into a tourist destination. Probably it's glorious days have already gone by. Most of the shops and hotels are struggling to survive this economic downfall.

Sands are white and water clearer if you visit non-monsoon season although it will be crowded with foreign tourists.

Probably the trendiest restaurant in Kovalam

by suvanki about Fusion Restaurant coffee bar

Very popular place. Attractive decor, furnishings, fittings etc.

Good choice of menu

Probably a good idea to book.

I was waiting to meet friends, arrived early, Chose a table,ordered a drink. Was asked to move as a group had come in, so moved to bar, then was asked if I'd sit at a nearby table (man was sat there already) I moved again to sit at this table..The man was quite aggresive, demanding to know why I'd allowed myself to be moved, and made it quite clear I wasn't welcome at his table!! The waiters hurredly moved me to another table,and apologised profusely (this man was well known to be a problem!) After yet another table move, I spotted my friends, Who'd been waiting for me for an hour! We'd all explained we were waiting for each other and described each other to the waiters, so we could be seated together..Ah Well!! The Meal was good! Had a chicken/ginger dish, which was very good, a couple of cocktails too and Ice cream.

Couldn't fault the food or the staff, the earlier musical chairs chirade was soon forgotten, (for the time being!)

Kathakali Performance.

by suvanki

Something I'd wanted to experience since I first heard of this art form. Although due to see this in Cochin I couldn't wait.

Kathakali (Story Play) originated centuries ago, with the present form dating from 17th century, and are based on the Hindu epics of The Ramayana and The Mahabharata.

Performers undergo many years of training, requiring fitness and discipline.
The drama is narrated by the dancers, by intricate, precise movement/gestures and facial expression. Musicians and/or singers vocalise the story.

Preparation for each performance is lengthy, with costume and make up taking upwards of 2 hours. You are allowed to watch this process, I found it fascinating..each character having their own individual look.

The performance lasts about an hour, sheets explaining the gestures are handed out, and they were also demonstrated prior to the drama. The performance I saw was accompanied by taped music, and despite a few powercuts which halted the performance, it was an enjoyable experience.
Although performances are now shorter, and are performed in halls,/hotels instead of the temple grounds, tourism is helping to prevent the decline of this fascinating traditional art.

Mon. & Thurs 1700 make up 1900 performance. Think I paid about 250 rupees but not sure.