Surya Samudra Private Retreats

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Pulinkudi, Mullur, South of Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), Kerala, 695521, India
Niraamaya Retreats
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Samudra Beach Resort

Surya samudra, Pulinkudi, keralaSurya samudra, Pulinkudi, kerala

51 Elephant Festival51 Elephant Festival

Lord Ganesh mounted on a floatLord Ganesh mounted on a float

Kingfisher BeerKingfisher Beer

Surya Samudra Resort

by Digboigirl

I have a reservation with Surya Samudra resort in Trviandrum for June 2006. Has anyone used this resort? Any feedback - good, bad etc.?

Look forward to responses.

Alcohol in Kerala????

by sunflower7

Hi There,
We are thinking of staying in Kerala and were wondering if there are bars in the hotels? The hotel we are looking at is called the Surya Samudra and there is no mention of a bar!!! The place looks wonderful but wouldnt want to go if I couldnt have a few drinks!!!!
X

by grets

Surya Samudra is absolutely wonderful! We stayed there a few years back and loved it. Yes, alcohol is served - don't worry! If I remember rightly, there wasn't a seperate bar as such, but a seating area under cover where you could eat and drink.

The hotel consists of many small cottages, all different, scattered around the grounds. The beach is just below. We were told that it wasn't safe to swim from the beach - whether that was just at the time we were there, or all the time I don't know. Lovely pool set into the rock face, sunbeds by the pool - DRINKS SERVED BY THE POOL.

We found the place very friendly and secure. We never locked the door all the time we were there - in fact we didn't even realise it had a key until we closed the door as we were leaving. Our room was very big, with a seperate dressing area (hence the open door at all times) and an outside bathroom. Note - the towels and toilet paper can get wet if it rains heavily.

Also scattered around the grounds are hammocks where you can chill out under the trees.

I hope you have a wonderful time, Suya Samudra is amongst my all time favourite hotels!

Grete

by lady2byrd

Hi
Surya Samudra is a great place and they do have a bar. I do believe that the hotel has changed hands recently. Need any help /info in Kerala drop a line

Cheers
Bibiana

by dsantosh

You can saty at Poovar too. It is also a better place.

Travel Tips for Kovalam

Away from the beaches ...

by suvanki

I enjoyed just wandering around the pathways away from the beach..plenty of local life to see. Met quite a few local children and women, who were happy to chat or just smile and said hello.

I wandered up the road that leads from Hawa beach and came across a book shop. I bought a Keralan recipe book, (the owner is quite happy to find and order any books you might want) , a cd shop, where I purchased a couple of local recordings, again the owner was interested in the sort of music I was looking for, and said he could get anything that I wanted.

Ended up at Sumadra Beach, in time to hear the call to prayer from the mosque, which is near to a Hindu temple.

Nearby is a coconut grove, where I spent nearly an hour watching a man shimmying up the trees only aided by thin strips of ?leaves, to collect the coconuts. These were then gathered up by 2 other men, and moved to another area where another 2 men were employed in stripping the nut from the husk - done by forcing the coconut onto a blade buried in the ground, then by a series of twists and turns separating the 2!

I eventually plucked up courage to ask if I could take a photo - ok, but they demanded a tip.

Got a tuk tuk back to my hotel. There was a transport strike that day, but some drivers were still working. Aain, I saw a different view of Kovalam as we winded up and down narrow roads...a great day out!

The Sunglasses Man!

by suvanki

You'll probably hear this man before you see him, with his distinctive 'sing - song' call "Sunglasses!" He walks up and down the beach with his selection of sunglasses festooned around his body!
He also does a side line in coconut oil.

It's not certain as to whether he's actually sold a pair of sunglasses yet, but whenever I saw him he was smiling! He is legendary for his friendly nature, always ready for a chat, but he's not a pushy salesman!

This man is a legend in Kovalam, he's featured in holiday brochures ( for many years), and travel articles/ sunday supplements etc. plus, the group - Geezers of Nazareths' single "Sunglasses" is about this man!

Afraid my photo of Sammy didn't come out :-(

Kerala's big beach resort

by BlueLlama

I spent three nights in Kovalam at the start and end of a tour around the state of Kerala. The natural surroundings are very beautiful indeed, but I have mixed feelings about this place: it's become a centre for package holidaymakers with all that that entails.

The best time to experience the town is to go for a walk in the early morning before the shopkeepers are lined up ready to drag you into their shops and before all the other visitors wake up. Then, Kovalam is perfectly calm and quiet and you can see fishing boats and local people trading.

The centre of Kovalam revolves around the main beach and the strip of shops, restaurants and hotels behind it. Expect a lot of hassle as you walk past!

Also expect attention if you choose to sit on the beach, though this was mostly friendly. I had an attempt to convert me from a local Christian and a group of local girls who thought it was very funny to try and get me to practice Malayalam!

My experience was that people here - as everywhere else I went in Kerala - love to meet foreigners and chat with them.

Sunsets in Kovalam

by earthflyer

India

Agra --- Belur --- Goa --- Gwalior --- Halebid --- Kumbakonam --- Lachen
Lachung --- Panipat --- Satna --- Bodhgaya --- Gaya --- McLeod Ganj --- Hampi
Mysore --- Kochi --- State of Kerala --- Kovalam --- Munnar --- Quilon (Kollam)
Khajuraho --- Orchha --- Sanchi --- Ellora Caves --- Mumbai --- Gangtok
State of Orissa --- Chennai --- Kanchipuram --- Kanyakumari --- Madurai
Mamallpuram --- Vellore --- Jhansi --- Sarnath --- Varanasi
Kolkata --- Chandigrah --- Delhi

More Destinations In India

INDIA - Home Page
Shimla --- Thanjuvar --- Tiruchirappalli(Trichy)
Thanggu
Konark & Bhubaneswar
Amritsar
Attari
State of Sikkim
Gezying --- Yumthang Valley --- Namok Village --- Loser (Tibetan Festival)
Darjeeling