Varkkala Hotels

• PrincessMonja profile photo PrincessMonja
  • Reviews: 204

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mummy Bamboo Guest House: Home from home

We had such a lovely stay at this guest house, they were so kind and helpful. As we were travelling with Swedes (who celebrate Christmas on the 24th December) we had 2 Christmas days, twice the fun! Rani, the owner, was happy to lend us pots and pans to cook all the 'Swedish' food, along with a table chairs, plates, cutlery - everything!! They had a nativity scene up, which the children loved and our whole stay there was so relaxed and friendly.

The rooms are clean but basic, each with a small bathroom. Bottled water was left in the room and there was always someone about in the morning to get you a tea or coffee. Rani also would cook lunch or dinner for you and as we were there over Christmas she cooked us a special meal for Christmas Day - what a lovely lady!! It really did feel like a home from home.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written August 8, 2011

Christmas fun at The Mummy Bamboo

• Melbournite profile photo Melbournite
  • Reviews: 8

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aline Golden Beach Resort Varkala: Overpriced and unfriendly management

We stayed for two days in January 2010. It's right on the spectacular South Cliff, with crumbling steps straight down to the beach. It boasts that it has Italian management. I wrote an honest review for another travel website which was not totally negative, but I received this abusive message from Aline Golden Beach Resort on 27 May 2010
From: giannsaluz
"1st, you never stay in our resort.., no name like your in the hotel book registrations. 2nd, we clean the rooms every day, and we suggest to live the shoes outside and wash the feet, the floor is in black granite and can be damaged with the sand. 3rd, you like to promote Silent Valley, maybe the honer ask you to write someting on us, because we stop to send our guests. About smoker's is not true, I'm ready to go head for this by our advocates".
My answers:
1. I have a receipt for our two nights.
2. The room was not cleaned at all. We left our shoes outside, but sand still gets on the black marble floor from feet and towels and clothes.
3. I was not paid by the little family homestay around the corner!!! We found it by walking around looking for somewhere else to stay.
4. Lots of guests were smoking at breakfast in the garden and other times of the day
5. There was a positive review of this hotel on 3rd October 2008 written by 'giannsaluz', which is the name on the message I received. It gives me the impression that someone connected with the resort was doing a positive review of it.

Fabulous view across the ocean.

Quiet compared to North Cliff with all its cafes.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches
  • Written June 3, 2010

Breakfast with a view

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Keratheeram Beach Resort: On the clifftop

This place is close to the Kerala Bamboo House (which is in Lonely Planet), about 50m from the cliff. My room was simple with 2 single beds pushed together with an essential mozzie net, large table, ceiling fan, no hot water and with 2 plastic chairs and a table outside on a balcony. It's run by a nice friendly family with some good service and my room cost Rs500.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 22, 2009
Tip Photo

• pravdr profile photo pravdr
  • Reviews: 340

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

taj garden retreat varkala: an exotic getaway

i had decided to getaway from the busy schedule of my life. i was looking out for a place which was exotic yet was untouched by the problems of tourism destinations.

the taj garden retreat varkala was one such location which satisfied me in my leisure holiday.

the hotel affords some great views of the ocean and on a clear morning it is a delight to take a walk in the hotel grounds as well as surrounding roads.

the most enchanting walk is up to the helipad and the famous varkala cliffs of which i will mention in other tips.

the pool is nice and has a small poolside bar.

in hot kerala sun it can give you a nice cool relaxation.

there is 1 hotel restaurant cape comorin which serves up a multicontinental fare. however the use of black pepper !!!!please make sure that you instruct about not using it excessively in every dish.however the preparations are good. especially the kerala ones like "appam" "meen moily" fish cooked in leaves.

there is only 1 fish that is available all the times"seer" other fish varieties are either not available or have to be ordered . the same goes for lobster too.

the library is small and the collection has some good books which you can read sitting in the hotel lounge in the evening. especially interesting are books on wildlife.

however varkala is still unpoilt and is a perfect getaway.

small businesses and corporates can have holiday conferences here combining business with relaxation.

kerala ayurvedic massages are available

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 3, 2004
Tip Photo

the taj garden retreat on a pristine afternoon

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful