Hotel Gautama

Priceline.com Booking.com MakeMyTrip.com

More about Khajuraho

Anceint Stone CarvingsAnceint Stone Carvings

Main entranceMain entrance

Elephant at the entranceElephant at the entrance

Checking out the keychainsChecking out the keychains

Help needed with trains

by Zisch

Hallo all!
I will be travelling to India in May '03 - not the first time, but the first time in 13 years. I will be travelling with a friend and we are planning the following route: Delhi-Fatehpur Sikri-Agra-Jaipur-Khajuraho-Varanasi-Mussoorie - I know there is no train to Khajuraho and to Mussoorie. I used to travel a lot by bus before and hardly ever by train. Does anyone know if this route is possible by train and what kind of train is advisable? Thanks for your help

by Peter_P

Almost the same trip i did last october. The only part we did by train was from Agra to Jhansi with the Shatabdi Express. Normally the express train starts at Delhi and goes to Bhopal...
Buses are an alternative, some roads are in good shape, some not...
The Shatabdi website : http://www.vihari.com/IndiaByRail/Shatabdi.asp
But at the moment the site is down, maybe later...
Success !

by suru

You can do Delhi to Agra-Jaipur by train either by fastest train called Shatabdi ( bit expensive) or normal trains like day trains or night trains.
Suggest you to visit Agra (then visit Fatehpur Sikri having base at Agra) then you can visit Jaipur.
You can visit varanasi by train.To go to Khajuraho , the nearest train station is Bhopal from where you have to take a bus or a taxi. You can visit www.indianrailways.com for more information.How many days you intend to spend in India?
Pls remember May is the hottest season in all places except Mussoori which is a hill station. May being holday season, you may have to advance rail booking.

by husain

for mussourie-- take the shatabdi express from delhi to dehradoon, and then hire a taxi/ take a coach up to mussourie. It is about an hour and a half away from dehradoon

by kamaljit

Hi,

Just a suggestion - MAY is the hottest month in North India and it has temperatures touching 50 degrees. It is pleasant October onwards...

Re: Re: Help needed with trains

by Zisch

Hallo

I know May is the hottest time in India. I used to live there. Thanks anyway.

cheers Zisch

by hjbrl

hi, I was just wondering when will you be there in Khajuraho. I am going to take Dakshin Express from Delhi. I am reaching Jhansi on 27th of May in the morning around 5:30. I will try to take a cab from there if I get some fellow traveler. Otherwise I would opt for bus. If you are there around that time, we can pool and take a cab for the Jhansi-Khajuraho journey.

Travel Tips for Khajuraho

Pandava Waterfalls

by travelwise217

Situated at about 2 km from the small town of Sanquelim and 8 km from Bicholim, in Valpoi taluka, North Goa, the Aravalem waterfalls are 50mts high. The Arvalem Waterfall is also a very scenic and beautiful picnic spot.

The Rudreshwar temple is also located here just besides the waterfall. One can reach the beautiful waterfall by descending the staircase after leaving the Rudreshwar temple. The best time to visit the place is after the monsoons. The water flow here during the monsoon is quite less. It has a lot of greenery all round with fruit laden trees with various fruits such as bananas, bread fruits and coconut palms to name a few.

Seasoned swimmers are often tempted once they reach the area. The ancient caves situated nearby known as the Aravalem caves or the Pandava caves is another major attraction in the place for the filmmakers as a favourite shooting spot in Goa.

Wandering On My Own

by keeweechic

After an hour I was awake and bright as a button, feeling a lot better and ready to take on the town of Khajuraho. The hotel, as lovely as it appeared, was right out in the middle of nowhere. Much to the amazement of the others I was with, I was prepared to walk into town and do some quiet solo investigating. Instructions from the hotel was to turn left out of the hotel and walk to the corner, turning right in the direction of the town. However previously our bus had gone right into town so in case I had been misunderstood I decided to take the route of the bus and turn right. It was 39C in the early afternoon and enroute on this quiet country road I was only occasionally passed by the odd motorbike or small rattley old truck. Stares of course were by this stage not even given a second thought although after walking a good half an hour or more I was beginning to think that maybe this was not the smartest idea I had had especially after being approached by 3 youths on a motorbike saying they would like to be my friend then added, more than a friend. After waving them off with a dismal, they disappeared. This was indeed countryside. The land was flat with rocky outcrops in the distance. Water buffalo wallowed in small pools of water while cows slept off the effects of the heat of the day. Finally to my relief, as I rounded a corner, I saw the tops of the temples and the beginnings of the town.

Sculptures of Khajuraho - Apsaras 1

by illumina

One of the most beautiful elements of the Khajuraho statuary is the depiction of women in what is probably every-day life. There are a number of activities which are repeated - here you can see women painting their feet, probably with henna. A suggestion for the first one is that she is removing a thorn from her foot, but I think it is possible to see the paintbrush in her hand.

Khajuraho village

by Willettsworld

I cycled into the old village of Khajuraho where a young guy popped out of nowhere and started to show me around. He pointed out about the different buildings that relate to different castes (similar to classes back home). Kids were being washed in the street whilst cow dung was being applied to the pavement outside in order to keep mosquito's away. Young girls were picking up fairly fresh cow dung with their hands where it is then dried against a wall in the sun and used for fuel.

The Varaha Temple

by Paul2001

If you tour the Western Group of Temples clockwise like me, then the first "temple" that you will come across will be the Varaha Temple. This is a 10th century shrine rather than a temple and features a large nine foot high boar which is an incarnation of a Hindu deity. The statue is remarkable for the incredible carvings on its sides. The Varaha Temple is just a stones throw from the famous Lakshmana Temple and seems to get overlooked for this reason.

Comments