Hotel Khajuraho Ashok

Good For No Data

More about Khajuraho

Ghantai TempleGhantai Temple

Adinatha Temple, KhajurahoAdinatha Temple, Khajuraho

Shrine behind main templeShrine behind main temple

SanctumSanctum

Travel Tips for Khajuraho

Very Memorable

by keeweechic

Khajuraho was personally very memorable for me, not just for the awesome temples and carvings but for the lesser acknowledged treasures, the people. I arrived in Khajuraho with a cold that had been persisting for some 4 days. With everything being fast paced, there had been no chance to find a pharmacy to get myself anything. On approaching the temples I saw a small shop with a pharmacy symbol. As soon as the tour of the temples was over, I headed there to get myself something that would help. The shop was small and service was obtained from the street from a man sitting behind the counter. I explained with no problem what I wanted and he seemed to understand. He offered a couple of different tabs of tablets and I settled more on one that had the word ‘cold’ in it. Nothing came in boxes or packets, it was sold by the strip. Back in the bus I struggled to read the minute instructions on the back before taking any. After an hour or more of more sightseeing we were back in our hotel for what was to be a leisurely afternoon. I did something I rarely do during day light hours, I went out like a light and think I can only blame the medication for the sudden enforced sleep.

Tree House

by travelwise217

Khajuraho a place once well-known for Khajoor (dates) trees. Later periods broom making cottage industries flattened all the trees to flourish this business. Now it is very hard to find date tree in Khajuraho. Nearly 150kms from Jhansi railway station and 650kms from New Delhi (India) is also renowned for 25 mystery structures. In fact these structures are no ordinary, rather, are temples of ancient Chandella rulers (AD 900 – 1130). It is now part of world heritage list and world tourists visit the spot to appreciate the architectural values of combination between sexual and ritual positions sculpted on the walls justify the real sense of life of human intelligence towards spiritual gain.

Meeting The Family

by keeweechic

While walking through this little village we encountered small children who he said were nephews. There were other locals making comments to him and I asked what they were saying. He said they asked if he was taking a queen on a tour. I laughed and took this with a grain of salt but still could not help being warmed by the local atmosphere.

Best Time To Visit

by keeweechic

Try not to visit the town in summer as temperatures can get very hot and up to 37C. The winter months can also go in the opposite direction with temperatures plummeting to 4C. The wettest months are from July to September. I visited in April and it was warm without being oppressive. October to March are the best months.

Best time to Visit the Western Temples is first thing in the morning.

Adivasi tribesman.

by Guantanamera

Meet Rajendra Singh Chauhan... This Adivasi tribesman is a 3rd generation wood carver who now lives in the old village of Khajuraho... The Adivasi are people who usually live in remote areas such as thick jungle regions, not easily accessible... I believe they are descended from the original inhabitants of India, before the Indo-Aryan invasions, and even prior to Dravidian times... Their belief systems combine a kind of very old shamanistic animistic formula with the later incursion of Vedic Hindu deities and beliefs brought in by the Indo-Aryan group...

Comments