4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

287, Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Road, Parel, Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, 400012, India

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• High quality hotel

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here.
    Very high standard and lovely staff.
    Would recommend this as a business stay hotel or for those looking for a higher than average hotel for their hols (its not cheap!)
    This hotel is of high standard with good security levels.
    The rooms had plush carpets and marble floors (by plush I mean the sort where you notice your feet sinking into the think soft carpet!)
    The beds were comfortable with a choice of mattress and also choice of pillow which I have never experienced before!
    You get plenty of water every day in your room, which seems to be expected these days in hot countries and the days paper left on your door handle in the early hours.
    Lovely bathrooms with shower and bath and plenty of towels, dressign gown, bathroom scales, shampoo, conditioner, bath/shower wash, and also complimentary toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, shower cap, soap, and nail file and cotton buds.

Unique Quality: Food was good in the Indian restaurant and was extremely clean, I cannot comment on the Chinese restaurant but that also looked of a high standard.
    The Irish bar was a bit dakr and dismal so we didn't stay in there, but the roof cocktail bar was nice enough and worth it for the stunning view out on the balcony.
    According to my colleagues the room service was also good.
    There is a gym with running machines etc and a very nice and clean pool. There was also a salon for men and women as well as a spa which was priced as you would expect a spa to be! It translated as GBR30 sterling for a facial which I think is actually quite reasonable.
    The staff were lovely and did all they can to meet our needs (we were on a business trip) they even went out of their way to get me 'mehndi' or henna but unfortunately my schedule was too much to fit it in. Very upset about that! The girl behind reception was even going to do it which was so nice! I wish I remembered her name but I would definitely remember her face when I visit again.
    Cars get checked as they enter and leave the hotel gates (this seems to be standard for hotels in Mumbai, as is in many Asian hotels). Only people with a room key on your floor can access your floor (you have to use you room key card in a reader within the lift before you can select your floor. Its a bit temperamental but go with it as its for your safety). The same goes for hotel staff, only a limited number of staff can access this floor so your room keeper etc.
    A lovely hotel all in all.

More about ITC Grand Central

Good food, friendly staff and great beds

by TripAdvisor Member Amsterdamnetherlands

The best beds you can imagine. Friendly staff and facilities vaialable. Although there were some errors made in the bookings they corrected it all in a sufficient way. They even have an all woman floor should ladies feel oncomfortable travelling alone and satying in a hotel.

Very caring staff

by TripAdvisor Member TravelierMom

I traveled to Mumbai because my 17yr old son who was visiting a school friend became ill and ended up having his appendix removed. Our friends booked the room for us at the ITC for several days between hospital discharge and getting clearence to travel home. Upon checking in we were completely taken care of. The staff check with us every morning to see if there was anything we needed, they sent out and got some meds my son needed, Chef Karam took special intrest in my son and fixed dishes for him to help him gain strength. The management even arranged for him to be able to use the piano in the club early in the morning to practice his music.

The rooms were spacious (we were in the tower), spotless with a beautiful bathroom. After living in a hospital for more than a week, we were able to relax and recover. The hotel arranged a 4hr tour of the city, so that I could at least see some of the sights since I had travel all the way to India.

As we were leaving the hotel for the airport one of the front desk staff who constanly check on us during the stay gave my son a bundle of flowers and a chocolate cake because his birthday was at midnight as we would be taking off from the airport.

This hotel made a relaxing end to a trip that was very stressful for myself and my son. If we ever return to Mumbai we will stay again at this property.

Mixed experience

by TripAdvisor Member pdeeChicago

I stayed at the Maratha for 2 weeks in Jan/Feb 2008 for business. The first room I had (room 1669 on one of the 'Upper Crust' floors) had the most uncomfortably hard bed I've ever experienced (and I spend over 100 nights/year in hotels), which was a major disappointment (I ended up pulling the seat cushions off the coach and sleeping on to of those on top of the bed). I mentioned this to staff who said they would somehow 'make it softer'. After returning from the office at 3am to find the bed just as terrible I called my company's travel agent and re-booked into the Hyatt across the street and then called the duty manager to tell them I'd be leaving in the morning.

At the time of checkout, the duty manager promised me a better room and lower rate to stay. I ended up in room 1501 which is a large suite with view over the pool (and more importantly a more comfortable bed). I was pleased with this resolution, but shouldn't have had to deal with the worst bed in history to begin with.

Overall the hotel is decent, but the food is hit and miss (some serious Delhi belly after trying the luncheon buffet). For the price they're charging this hotel doesn't quite cut it.

Excellent hotel & service

by TripAdvisor Member global_traveller112

I stayed there for 4 nights on a Business trip around beginning of Feb, 08. We had the airport pick organized which I would highly recommend since it makes the commute from airport to the hotel efficient, smooth and well worth the extra bucks rather than handling the challaneging mumbai cab drivers. The check in went fine and smooth, was greeted by well trained staffs during the whole course of our stay.

The room itself was spacious, comfortable and with very good amnetities. The work table was comfortable to get some work done. The one thing that stood out from the room will be the comfy heavenly bed they had.

Free drinks & snacks are served in lounge every day which was handy, if you are staying in club floor or if you are a Amex Platinum holder, you get access to the club lounge on the top floor which has a incredible view of the city and decorated beautifully.

Breakfast served well balanced cuisine and scrumptious. Highly recommend their restuarant which serves good kebabs.

The few things which I would put on the downside of this hotel is Location, in the crazy traffic city of mumbai, the location of this hotel is not ideal for business travellers, you gotta give yourself 1-2 hrs commute time for most business districts and they can definetely do with a well maintained pool.

Disappointed.....

by TripAdvisor Member flyboyden

I had a 5 day reservation at this property and requested a non-smoking room, simple request considering I made my reservation several months ago and was paying nearly $400 US per night. I am also a Starwood Platinum member and travel frequently.

Upon check in I was told I had a non-smoking room. When I exited the elevator with the porter the floor we exited smelled of strong cigarette smoke. I immediately asked if my room was indeed non smoking. Yes, I was told, it is a non-smoking room on a smoking floor. When we entered the room it smelled of smoke with ash trays and matches, unusual for a so called non-smoking room!

I tried to sleep in this room as I was tired from the trip, after a few hours I woke up with a terrible sore throat from the smoke residue.

I requested another room and was given another room, that room smelled terrible, kind of a sewer smell. I complained and the next day moved to yet another room.

Again I was told this new room was non-smoking, upon entry a smoke smell ash trays and matches. I was becoming very frustrated , they took me to yet another room.

The next room smelled heavily of a paint and varnish. The smell was so strong it gave me a headache. I requested another room and was told that nothing better was available. I then told the front desk that I was so unhappy that I was thinking of checking out of the hotel and going elsewhere with my business.

I was then told to wait while the person at the front desk made a phone call. I was then told that the hotel had an unexpected departure and that a non-smoking suite was available after all.
I don't know who was on the other end of the phone line but it was amazing how fast a room became available, a suite even!

The new room worked out perfect and I enjoyed the rest of my stay. I just don't feel I should have had to go through all of this especially utilizing Starwood over 50 nights per year. I also feel that the better room was available the whole time as it seemed to be available as soon as I mentioned the words " I will be checking out early and moving to another hotel" I feel like I was being played with.

After moving through so many rooms I will say one thing, every room is quite different in terms of quality, most smell, and have very different water temps (one room the water never became hotter than luke warm). It is really hit and miss what type of room you will end up with.

Internet was great, so was the LG flat screen TV. Food was very marginal. Location is not that great. Staff was very friendly but it seemed that they were misleading me on the room issue.

I will not stay here again as I feel that for the price paid I can do better elsewhere.

Amazing.....

by TripAdvisor Member Asiana-Traveller

What an experience??? This hotel was amazing especially having the cricketers stay there whilst we were there. The IPL premiership was on. Staff was great, rooms were 5 star without a doubt, bar/restaurant was fab. Highly recommended. Convienient location. Taxis available 24/7. Centrally located from city and airport. Food/Drinks very expensive but very fancy.

Beds to die for

by TripAdvisor Member thegoodnamesaregone

We arrived at the hotel around 2am and were pleasantly surprised to discover that the staff knew exactly who we were and had everything ready. They had even arranged 2 inter-connecting rooms for our children. The rooms were booked through the Starwood rewards system and I have to say we found them very efficient.

The location was perfect for us - we had a 2 night stay so wanted to be close to the city but also not too far from the airport. We had a wander round the local streets and soaked up the atmosphere.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Ironically we chose to have Chinese food on our first night in India but were not disappointed.Prices were high but we found the same all over India....if you plan to do India the 5 star way then also plan to spend a lot of money! Also,for wine lovers don't plan on drinking wine for a while - it's VERY expensive and doesn't travel well.Stick to the local beer.

The beds were probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in and I've tried quite a few.

The reception can arrange a "free" tour of Mumbai - but of course nothing in life is free. The guys will take you to quite a few cottage industry shops at the end of the tour and then tell you over and over that the tour is free,whilst hinting heavily at a good tip.If the tour is good then why not? There does come a point when you realise exactly what's going on though and don't need badgering.

Overall, a very pleasant way to start our trip

Very comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Margie001

The hotel sent a car to pick us up at the airport which was great and destressed the arrival (glossing over the fact that it wasn't waiting for us as someone else had blagged it). It's quite a long way from the airport - about an hour in the car - and there's nowhere of interest within walking distance of the hotel either.

The hotel itself is very comfortable (and very pricey), with an extremely comfortable bed and good other facilities (large screen TV, Internet access etc). I stayed on a Ladies-only floor which was a nice touch. There are people asking if you need anything every time you turn around which gets a bit wearing after a while.

Only ate breakfast at the hotel which was very good, with a wide selection. There are a couple of bars which are rather soulless.

We arranged a driver for a day to show us the sites, and he was excellent. My only complaint was the visit to the local "cottage industry" where we felt obliged to pay rather over the odds for souvenirs, but you get the feeling this is how things works here.

There are some large buildings going up around the hotel which rather spoils the view, and there are some people living rough nearby, but then you kind of get to expect that in India.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, especially if someone else is paying!

by TripAdvisor Member Mattman40

Don't be fooled by the photos, this hotel no longer rises majestically on its own, there is building sites on all sides.

The location is central but nothing to do in walking distance.

It's a good solid business hotel, but nothing special, for less money you can enjoy the Taj and that is special.

On a side note I paid for the exec package, but found the same room type as normal and the exec services are at such restrictive hours, by the time I got home from the office they were not available.

Comments