Mumbai Hotels

Our Members Say

• Donna_in_India profile photo Donna_in_India
  • Reviews: 967

Limited Budget Choices....

Update 2/12: I have not had an opportunity to re-check my budget recommendations. As conditions can change quickly - especially regarding Mumbai's budget hotels, I always suggest getting a recommendation from someone who has stayed at a particular hotel no more than a few months ago. Read reviews on TripAdvisor or IndiaMike.com as well!

Prices for hotels in Mumbai range from one extreme to the other. There are plenty of very expensive hotels in the city but decent budget choices are difficult to find.

If you've got a backpacker budget, the only places to stay are:

Salvation Army Red Shield Hostel , which has clean small rooms starting at Rs 190 PP for a non AC double, or the YWCA International Guest House on Madame Cama Road, just off Regal Circle, for about twice that.

Mumbai has few other cheap and acceptable lodgings, but has some nice moderate hotels that range from Rs 800 a night to 4000 (Rs 4000 is considered CHEAP in Mumbai!). These include:

The Hotel New Bengal (simple, clean, with AC and Non-AC rooms) near Crawford Market and not too far from CST.

A little off the beaten track is Pals Hotel. near Cotton Green, with rooms starting at Rs 520 for a non-AC single.

Try the Pali Hill Tourist Hotel in Bandra (on the higher end).

The ISKCON Hari Krishna Temple in Juhu has excellent, clean rooms available for the public at Rs 2500.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 12, 2008

• PierreZA profile photo PierreZA
  • Reviews: 1069

Hotel Seagreen: A Room with a view

A very good, clean and basic option for accommodation.
Located on Marine Drive.
I had a room with a balcony with great views of the sea and Marine Drive.
Cable TV, bathroom, aircon, electronic safe, fridge.

Rs 2250.00 (excl.taxes)

The great views

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written February 15, 2008

Room - Sea Green Hotel

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

Hotel Celeste: Good option in Colaba

I booked this hotel, which is located down the lower end of Colaba Causeway Rd near Sassoon Dock, at the domestic airport as I wanted somewhere in the Colaba area and one that was reasonable priced. Hotels cost a lot more here than anywhere else in India and budget places are difficult to find and still cost Rs800-Rs1000 for tiny rooms. This place didn't look like much from the outside and has old wooden stairs but the rooms are very big and have been recently painted. My room had a large doublebed, 2 armchairs, table, large mirror, TV, ceiling fan, a/c, new large fridge, phone, 2 bedside tables, wardrobe and shelves, 24hr hotwater shower from a geyser and room service for Rs1600.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 16, 2007
Tip Photo

• supergrowth profile photo supergrowth
  • Reviews: 2

Home Stay/ Bed & Breakfast: Paying Guest Rooms near to Nariman Point

We arrange only premium Paying Guest Accommodation only in south Mumbai in area like Cuffe Parade, Colaba, Marine Drive, Malabar Hill, Breach Candy, Nepensea Road, Breach Candy and Worli etc.
As a specialist in South Mumbai Residential Properties we arrange accommodation according to client requirement with out wasting their time. To illustrate our point further: For every paying guest accommodation option we take in consideration, we hone in on the following elements: a) Safety, b) Location, c) the rent (in accordance with the budget), d) Facilities (which includes air conditioner, TVs, fridges, meals) and of course, independent living. Letting out property can be an apprehensive affair. There are a considerable number of ladies who have sourced women PGs from MNC’s, banks and consulates through us. The safety angle is thus taken care of. We also try to mould available budgets to locations close to one’s workplace. Our professional valuation process ensures that rates are appropriate. In Fact, we have a list of people, including investment bankers, consulate members, bankers, and the like who have found our services much to their satisfaction. On request, we can provide you with the same.
For details and sorting out of queries, contact us at info@supergrowth.in or call us at 91 22 22846079 Here’s looking forward to fruitful interactions in the future. Warm regards Supergrowth India Sales Team Also visit at supergrowth.in

• Related to: Business Travel, Singles, Work Abroad
  • Written June 13, 2007

• M.E.R.V profile photo M.E.R.V
  • Reviews: 363

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bentley's Hotel: Safe, clean, backpacker's delight!

Our stay at Bentley's was surprisingly pleasant although we were placed in the cheaper guesthouse which is about a block away from the main building on Oliver Road. Now I can't say much about the main building because I havent actually stayed there. The building we stayed in was called Awabai Mansion on Henry Road, has a lovely welcoming entrance and huge spacious rooms with a little dining area. There is an extra charge to turn the A/C on. Bathroom is shared but not far away from your room. The main door is always locked for extra security so you may want a room which is not right in front of it like ours or you will be hearing the bell everytime someone enters. It didn't bother us much but be warned. Don't be put off if you are given a room here instead of the main building, it is cheaper and much quieter and standards are the same I presume! A perfect accomodation for travellers on budget.

• Written June 4, 2007

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Hotel Volga II: Over rated

Travellers, locals, guidebooks and websites say that this oldie but a goodie is a classic find in the area so I was interested in staying here upon my second trip to Mumbai. The hotel is probably popular with young travellers because it is close to the bar scene making stumbling home an easier option than say the Seashore hotel. I found the staff rude and they took their sweet time in finding me a room despite having a booking for three days. Overall, the Seashore was much better.

It is close to the action and has satellite tv for a cheap price but the rooms are like small tombs and the washrooms are far away from some of the rooms making walking around with a towel rather unpleasant with total strangers floating in and around during the day.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 10, 2007

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seashore Hotel: Fantastic Find

Mumbai is know for being really expensive so most travellers head straight for the Colaba area which is known for the budget area. The Seashore is listed in guidebooks and due to high costs in the city I decided to follow the books advice and head for the waterfront and try out this cheapie. I must say that I was seriously impressed. The The hotel staff are a happy bunch and the atmosphere is relaxed and informal. I would stay here again if I stayed in Mumbai. Fantastic Value :)

As the highest of the three budget hotels in this building, it has the best views - you can see a panoramic sweep of the harbour from the front-facing double rooms - and two of the sea-view doubles rooms come with air-con. Some of the rooms are rather small but the ones facing the harbour are a bit bigger, with ac so it's worth paying a little extra for a room with a window. The sat tv is an added bonus. Finally, The staff even arranges airport transport even if you have an early morning flight ( I had a 3am to London) and they woke me up, charged me no additional costs and the security guard for the hotel even helped me with my bags :)

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 10, 2007

• kentishgirl profile photo kentishgirl
  • Reviews: 1390

Hotel Seashore: Budget Hotels in Colaba

Mumbai was our first stop in India and so this was the first hotel we stayed in here.
I was in fact expecting a lot worse!
We booked this place when we arrived in Mumbai at the accommodation desk at the airport, it was in the budget price range, had a decent write up in our LP guide and was in the area we wanted to stay in.

Colaba is located near the harbour, there is always lots going on, it is home to the cheap accommodations and cafes.

Our room was as we later found out in India the top end of the budget range. That being said it did only cost 500INR per night for the room for 2 people. We had windows with a view over the rooftops to the harbour, our room was clean enough with a fan.
The bathroom was upstairs and had a bucket and cold water tap - again very clean.

I would stay here again, the area is alive 24/7 and it is an easy walk and an easy place to pick up a taxi.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 30, 2007

Ali on Mumbai Harbour

• goutammitra profile photo goutammitra
  • Reviews: 1306

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Windsor.: Bombays Budget Acoomodation.

It is really very difficult to find Budget hotels in Bombay. But yet there are a few budget accomodations available in Bombay. But you will have to pay just double the amount or more in Bombay for the same kind of the room or perhaps less, for the kind of hotels you normally pay in other cities like Delhi, Calcutta or Madras.

I have in my early days of travels have stayed in these Hotels in Bombay, near VT rail station, near GPO. They all offer budget accomodation with or without bath at fairly resonable price. They all have budget eating houses, pubs, railway reservation, post office etc nearby.

Windsor hotel, Kumpta street, near GPO. Sher e Punjab hotel, Near GPO, Railway Hotel, Near GPO.New Bengal Hotel, near Crawford market( the other side of VT)

Soon I will find out their phone nos and post. They dont take advance booking or reservation as they give rooms on first come first basis.

Please note all bombay budget hotels have check out time 08.00 AM. Be careful when you check out. Some of them may force you to pay for the whole day in case you are late by half an hour. And remember in Bombay just no body cares for you as this is a totally commercial and heartless city!

The price ranges from Rs 500 to Rs 1500. depending on the rooms or dormitory. They dont even offer the basics! They may just change the sheets and clean the room. Dont expect any hospitality from them!!!

• Written March 27, 2007

• gonzo747 profile photo gonzo747
  • Reviews: 277

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apollo guesthouse: Basic but cheap for mumbai standards

This was one of the cheaper places I found in Mumbai. A single room costed 416 roepies. It had a communal shower and flushtoilets.
It's in the some building as hotel Causeway; You have to go through a small shoeshop to get inside. The big board of hotel causeway is easy to see from the street (if you are not walking in the stalls)

• Written February 21, 2007

• ladagspa profile photo ladagspa
  • Reviews: 25

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Apollo: Do not go to this Hotel

We wanted to book the Hotel Suba Palace, but they were full, so the Manager suggested Hotel Apollo. Since it was for one night, we went and got a room, supposedly Executive for Rs 3700.
The rooms are big, but not at all clean, and a very uncomfortable bed.
The Location of TV is beside the bed so you have an aching neck in few minuts.
No Sofa to relax.

For Beaskfast only Toast, Omellete and butter/jam was available.

Do not stay in this hotel...unless you do not find any other place.

None

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written December 8, 2006

• mili_143 profile photo mili_143
  • Reviews: 68

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL AROMA: HOTEL AROMA

HOTEL AROMA IS ALSO IN DADAR (EAST), NEAR CHITRA CINEMA.
TARIFF

• Written December 1, 2006

• mili_143 profile photo mili_143
  • Reviews: 68

SHREE JOSHI LODGING HOUSE: HOTEL FOR BACKPACKERS

LODGE WITH VERY LOW BUDGET WITH MINIMUM FACILITIES. FOR A BED WITH WASHED BEDSHEET AND 3 BEDS IN ONE 10 X 10 ROOM. 130 RS PER DAY. TOILET AND BATHROOM IS COMMON.

ONLY UNIQUE QUALITY IS THIS LODGE IS IN DADAR (CENTER OF MUMBAI)

• Written December 1, 2006

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1360

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Benazeer Hotel: Budget but not really value for money

I arrived at VT (now it's CSTM) train terminal at around 8:00pm, I went out to look for taxi but there is this european girl who advised me to take a taxi on the main road rather than infront of the terminal as most of them will charge higher fares. So I did walked about 100 meters to the main road, took a taxi to take me to the hotel located at Rustom Sidhwa Marg, a minute walk to the main D.N. Road.

Not hard to find, the Benazeer Hotel is in a very old old building that may have seen its days, with a restaurant resembling a mess hall below it. I went up the stairs and was greeted by the receptionist and the guy who showed me the room. I've read at Indiamike that room 4 is a good one which happens to be opposite the reception desk just on the first floor. The reception took my passport, seems to me that he doesn't know how to fill up the log book so the guy in the morning will do the logging in and that I could just take back my passport the following morning. Fine.

The room had huge window pane looking out to the street below, airconditioned, old double bed with red-printed blankets, very old rickety furnitures, and a TV. The walls are really deteriorating with cracks and the bathroom is of old design but water is there so I did took a shower after the tiring 24-hour train ride.

Tried to sleep but felt uncomfortable, I was really ashamed to checkout, so I made some reasons and after paying the full-night's rate of around INR1,000 (I'll check my receipts) for a 3-hour stay, can't complain...twas my choice, I took my passport and moved out...just to the neighboring hotel.

None that I could think of.

• Related to: Trains, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 15, 2006

• FairyFrascina profile photo FairyFrascina
  • Reviews: 3

YWCA guesthouse, Collaba: Cheap, Cheerful & Clean

The YWCA International Guest House is hard to spot from the road but really is worth considering if you want a decent but budget place to stay in the busiest tourist district of Mumbai. The staff are friendly, decent rooms cleaned daily plus there's a good value 15hr laundry service. Based on 2 people sharing a twin AC room its around GBP11 per person per night which includes bed, breakfast and evening meal. Food is good but don't drink the water from the jugs they provide unless you want a hit of Delhi Belly!
Always book in advance.

Considering it's location bang in the middle of Collaba and the quality of service it's a bargain!

• Related to: Women's Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking