Mumbai Hotels

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SeaShore Hotel

This pension is probably one of the worst accomodation experiences I have ever had!!

I arrived in Mumbai at 1 in the morning. I had contaced an agency (www.first48.com) who arrange you an airport pickup and a first night in Mumbai. They charge you 40 USD for that. The guy picked me up at the airport. It was raining, anawful night, so I though: "Oh, I'm lucky, they pick me up and take me to a nice hotel, great!" BUT, the second part was not that nice: the "hotel" was a rats nest in the bottom of a dark alley. It was in a building where 5 or 6 more dirty cheap pensions were located. No lift, of course, I had to climb the 4 floors with the rucksack AND avoiding the people who were sleeping on the corridors.
When I got to the pension, I had to ring for a while. The man in charge was slept on the lobby's counter (on top of it!). He showed me my room, a real matchbox with a tiny little window to the bay. No A/C, of course. I tried to open the window, but the noise of the streets made it worse, so I slept (weel, tried to) with the window closed.

First thing I did in the morning was look for another hostel.
BTW, the "real" price of the place is 8 USD, not the 40 USD I naifly paid to those "First48.com" guys...

• Written December 22, 2003

My matchbox

• lynnehamman profile photo lynnehamman
  • Reviews: 412

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bentleys Hotel: Shabby, but Old World Charm

I make this tip now because have just found out that my other hotel, Shelleys, is closed for renovations.
We spent 2 nights at Bentleys on our 2nd trip to Mumbai. Shelleys was at that time fully booked..
I made the booking by phone, while on our way to Mumbai.
When we arrived- at about 7pm- we were shown a few rooms. Bentleys has a couple of locations, which can be confusing. They are all quite close to each other, and similar in style.
Anyway...........we finally chose a room that was quite spartan- but it has a huge double bed, with a clean white cover & sheets, a clean floor, and an adequate bathroom. Tjis was located in the MAIN Bentleys building.
Our room has a cute little 'Juliet' balcony, which overlooked a peaceful garden area, filled with exotic looking trees and shrubs. And enclosed by a high wall.
The room had a TV- which did not work well. This did not bother us- we don't usually watch TV when travelling anyway.
Tea & Coffee could be ordered from main desk.
We did not take meals here.

So - if you choose Bentleys you should ask to see different rooms before settling in. The management were obliging and helpful.
Bentleys is in a great area of Colaba- within walking distance of Colaba places of interest- markets, Gateway to India, sea promanade, and most restuarants.
Bentleys is also situated away from traffic and noise. It is , in my opinion, a good choice for a budget hotel, no frills, but adequate.

Unfortunately I lost my camera in Mumbai- and so my Bentley pics were lost too. I am replicating a photo taken from Bentleys Webpage to give you a idea of what it looks like.

The size of the room we had was good. I MOST loved the balcony and view of the garden- in the morning and early evening the bird life here is prolific. Waking up to the sounds of birds singing is my idea of heaven,

• Related to: Backpacking, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written December 2, 2009
Tip Photo

The garden (pic borrowed from hotel website)

• Reviews: 197

The Salvation Army Hostel: Cheapest hostel in Colaba area!!!

I have personally not stayed here but this tip is only for information of fellow travellers to Mumbai!!!

The rates are as given below:-

Individual dormitory per bed Rs140.
Family Room per person Rs150.
Double Room Rs400.
Double Room (Air Conditioned) Rs500.
Maximum stay for one week only.
Check Out Time is 10 am.
Reservation Timings :- 0800 to 2000 hours.

Cheap compared to the local hostel or hotel rates in the Colaba area of South Mumbai!!!

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5138

Hotel Oasis

When I arrived at the airport in Mumbai I asked at the "hotel counter" about Cowie's Hotel, but they said they had never heard about it. Instead they wanted me to go to Hotel Causeway. Well, I had already before had Hotel Oasis in mind (and Cowie's) so I decided to go to Hotel Oasis as it was the cheaper option.

I did not like the room I was shown, but as I was very tired after travelling the whole night I checked in. The room was small, dark and smelly. There was a TV and a noisy fan that could only move in high speed. There was no window (or it was actually black) in the room, but one in the bathroom. Across a narrow pass way there was a window and someone's kitchen. So they could actually see in to my bathroom. Well I took the blanket from the bed and put it over the window.

The room was 1180 rupees (June 2010) and for that price you expect a little bit more. There was no towel, no soap and no toilet paper (they just laughed when I asked). The light in the bathroom could only be switched off if I turned off the light in the room. To open the door out of the room I had to use the key, but to use the key I had to take it from the "pocket" that gives electricity in the room, so it became completely dark. The room was on the third floor and to get there you had to take the very small elevator (always with two or three of the boys working there). I asked for the stairs and were told they were blocked (this absolutely didn't sound good in case of a fire). And there were nowhere to sit except in the room.

As soon as I had had a shower I left my bags in the room and went out to look for another place to stay. Three hours after I had checked in I checked out.

• Written July 2, 2010

My room at Oasis Hotel

• Donna_in_India profile photo Donna_in_India
  • Reviews: 952

Limited Budget Choices....

Update 2/12: I have not had an opportunity to re-check my budget recommendations. As conditions can change quickly - especially regarding Mumbai's budget hotels, I always suggest getting a recommendation from someone who has stayed at a particular hotel no more than a few months ago. Read reviews on TripAdvisor or IndiaMike.com as well!

Prices for hotels in Mumbai range from one extreme to the other. There are plenty of very expensive hotels in the city but decent budget choices are difficult to find.

If you've got a backpacker budget, the only places to stay are:

Salvation Army Red Shield Hostel , which has clean small rooms starting at Rs 190 PP for a non AC double, or the YWCA International Guest House on Madame Cama Road, just off Regal Circle, for about twice that.

Mumbai has few other cheap and acceptable lodgings, but has some nice moderate hotels that range from Rs 800 a night to 4000 (Rs 4000 is considered CHEAP in Mumbai!). These include:

The Hotel New Bengal (simple, clean, with AC and Non-AC rooms) near Crawford Market and not too far from CST.

A little off the beaten track is Pals Hotel. near Cotton Green, with rooms starting at Rs 520 for a non-AC single.

Try the Pali Hill Tourist Hotel in Bandra (on the higher end).

The ISKCON Hari Krishna Temple in Juhu has excellent, clean rooms available for the public at Rs 2500.

• Written March 12, 2008

• Reviews: 197

Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) Hostel.: YWCA in Mumbai.

I have not stayed here personally but just for the information of fellow travellers to Mumbai!!!

Rates are from Rs524 to Rs1800 depending upon the type of bed (dormitory) or room plus a service charge of 10%. Breakfast, tea, coffee and buffet dinner included in the rates. Check Out Time is 12 noon.

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5750

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bombay Presidency Golf Club: Old time shows its age.

I spent some time here while in Mumbai. It is not a top end hotel anymore but in the 40s and 50s I am sure it was. Now its like a 2 star with a wonderful club. An Oasis in the Sea of Slums.

It is one of the most famous golf clubs in all of India. It was a nice relaxing place to spend the afternoons in the club downstairs (an open air atrium) watching the crazy rains of the monsoon.

• Written August 20, 2006

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5138

Cowie's Hotel

As I didn't like Hotel Oasis I headed to Colaba (the area I rather stayed in) and asked for Cowie's Hotel. It was not in my guidebook and I had forgot the address at home. Finally I reached the hotel and was offered a room for 2000 rupees a night (June 2010).
It was so much better than the room at Hotel Oasis so I decided to move right away.

I got a big clean room on the third floor (and here I could use the stairs as I like). There was a big double bed, a sofa, table, desk, chair and a cupboard. There was A/C (which I didn't use) and a TV (didn't use that either) and a fan. There was also a view from the window.

The only thing I didn't like was that the breakfast was served in the room, but there was nothing wrong with the breakfast itself. For breakfast I had omelette, toasts with butter and jam and a pot of black coffee.

• Written July 2, 2010

My room at Cowie's Hotel

• we2364 profile photo we2364
  • Reviews: 136

Carlton Hotel: The best I found

The second morning, I walked through the whole Columba area and found this one. In the busy and expensive Mumbai, it's the cheapest one I found, with good location(just behind the Taj Hotel), much clean room, a small balcony and a short walking distance to the market.

Single room is 390Rs(in the peak season), with the shared bathroom.

• Written April 5, 2006

• Reviews: 197

Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) Hostel.: YMCA in Mumbai.

The rates are from Rs435 to Rs1500 depending on the type of bed or room plus an additional service charge of 10% as well as Rs100 for a temporary membership for 90 days. Check Out Time is 12 noon. Many hotels may offer cheaper options and better locations and facilities too!!!

• PierreZA profile photo PierreZA
  • Reviews: 1069

Hotel Seagreen: A Room with a view

A very good, clean and basic option for accommodation.
Located on Marine Drive.
I had a room with a balcony with great views of the sea and Marine Drive.
Cable TV, bathroom, aircon, electronic safe, fridge.

Rs 2250.00 (excl.taxes)

The great views

• Written February 15, 2008

Room - Sea Green Hotel

• goutammitra profile photo goutammitra
  • Reviews: 1306

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Windsor.: Bombays Budget Acoomodation.

It is really very difficult to find Budget hotels in Bombay. But yet there are a few budget accomodations available in Bombay. But you will have to pay just double the amount or more in Bombay for the same kind of the room or perhaps less, for the kind of hotels you normally pay in other cities like Delhi, Calcutta or Madras.

I have in my early days of travels have stayed in these Hotels in Bombay, near VT rail station, near GPO. They all offer budget accomodation with or without bath at fairly resonable price. They all have budget eating houses, pubs, railway reservation, post office etc nearby.

Windsor hotel, Kumpta street, near GPO. Sher e Punjab hotel, Near GPO, Railway Hotel, Near GPO.New Bengal Hotel, near Crawford market( the other side of VT)

Soon I will find out their phone nos and post. They dont take advance booking or reservation as they give rooms on first come first basis.

Please note all bombay budget hotels have check out time 08.00 AM. Be careful when you check out. Some of them may force you to pay for the whole day in case you are late by half an hour. And remember in Bombay just no body cares for you as this is a totally commercial and heartless city!

The price ranges from Rs 500 to Rs 1500. depending on the rooms or dormitory. They dont even offer the basics! They may just change the sheets and clean the room. Dont expect any hospitality from them!!!

• Written March 27, 2007

• mili_143 profile photo mili_143
  • Reviews: 68

SHREE JOSHI LODGING HOUSE: HOTEL FOR BACKPACKERS

LODGE WITH VERY LOW BUDGET WITH MINIMUM FACILITIES. FOR A BED WITH WASHED BEDSHEET AND 3 BEDS IN ONE 10 X 10 ROOM. 130 RS PER DAY. TOILET AND BATHROOM IS COMMON.

ONLY UNIQUE QUALITY IS THIS LODGE IS IN DADAR (CENTER OF MUMBAI)

• Written December 1, 2006

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seashore Hotel: Fantastic Find

Mumbai is know for being really expensive so most travellers head straight for the Colaba area which is known for the budget area. The Seashore is listed in guidebooks and due to high costs in the city I decided to follow the books advice and head for the waterfront and try out this cheapie. I must say that I was seriously impressed. The The hotel staff are a happy bunch and the atmosphere is relaxed and informal. I would stay here again if I stayed in Mumbai. Fantastic Value :)

As the highest of the three budget hotels in this building, it has the best views - you can see a panoramic sweep of the harbour from the front-facing double rooms - and two of the sea-view doubles rooms come with air-con. Some of the rooms are rather small but the ones facing the harbour are a bit bigger, with ac so it's worth paying a little extra for a room with a window. The sat tv is an added bonus. Finally, The staff even arranges airport transport even if you have an early morning flight ( I had a 3am to London) and they woke me up, charged me no additional costs and the security guard for the hotel even helped me with my bags :)

• Written April 10, 2007

• mili_143 profile photo mili_143
  • Reviews: 68

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL AROMA: HOTEL AROMA

HOTEL AROMA IS ALSO IN DADAR (EAST), NEAR CHITRA CINEMA.
TARIFF