Hotel Mohan International

Langar at athe Golden Temple ComplexLangar at athe Golden Temple Complex

People of PunjabPeople of Punjab

Golden TempleGolden Temple

by song99

Looking for a dry, pleasant June destination linked by a discount airline from Dubai

I am going to spend the Springtime in Iran, and in June I am changing flights in Dubai to somewhere dry, and pleasant serviced by one of the discount airlines operating in the UAE.

My research shows Air Arabia flies to

Almaty, Kazakhstan (near beautiful Kyrgyzstan)
Lebanon
Nepal

All three of these destinations appeal to me but Nepal's rainy monsoon season begins in June, and I don't want to be there when it's raining.

Lebanon, and Kazakhstan have the nicest weather during summer, but I think Canadians need a visa to go to Kazakhstan, like a real visa (pre-arranged at the Kazakh embassy either in Tehran, or Dubai). Also, it sounds difficult to arrange, and really expensive. Does anyone know the cost of 1 month tourist visa for Canadians going to Kazakhstan? I am only interested in Almaty, and then I want to cross the border to Kyrgyz, then Uzbek, and Tajik. I'd like to do a little circle, and end up back in Almaty again, only because Air Arabia flies from there. I could also be interested in a land crossing entering Tibet, but I don't know if that's possible for foreigners. Regarding a Kazakh visa, perhaps a 3 day transit visa is enough? See Almaty, and then hop the border to Bishkek?

Air India Express flies Dubai to Amritsar, India, and I know India is HOT in June, but if I start in Amritsar, and head NORTH to Kashmir, maybe there is an international border/crossing (along with land transport) to Tibet? Of Course, then I need a Chinese visa/permit, and where to get that in Amritsar, or Kashmir?

If I go to India, I prefer to go high in altitude because it is June, and I don't want to be at sea level, especially in a big city like Mumbai or Dehli. I just hope Northwestern India is relatively dry in June.

Ok so Air Arabia, or Air India Express, and there are a couple other airlines flying to really HOT places like Phillipines, but since it's June, I didn't include any tropical destinations.

So, please let me know which destination you think is best for June, and then from there, into the Summer.

Lebanon, Almaty, Kazakhstan, or Nepal (rainy?) on AA
or Northwestern India on AIA

I also have the optionn of entering Turkmenistan, or Armenia by road after Iran (I think June could be a good time in either place), but Turkmenistan doesn't seem to have any Couchsurfers, which is how I travel. No hotels, ever.

Let me know your thoughts about June.

Re: Looking for a dry and pleasant June destination linked by a discount airline from Dubai

by Tijavi

You may want to consider Syria and Jordan, too. Air Arabia flies these countries and the weather is not that bad in June, although it should start to get warmer.

by song99

Yes I am interested in Syria, but where to go in July? I will be in the middle of the Middle east in the summer and I prefer mountains, and higher altitudes. Ideally, I am looking for a plesant June destination, that leads to even more plesant July destination, and so on until the summer ends.

Travel Tips for Amritsar

Baisakhi Fair/Bhangra Dance

by RAJASTHANBYCAR

Originated in the Western Punjab, Bhangra reflects the vigour and the cheerfulness infused among the rural folk by the promise of a bumper crop. The Bhangra season starts with the wheat sowing. On every full moon day young men, in every village, dance for hours in open fields. The dancers move around the 'dhol' drummer in a circle. As the tempo increases, their hands, their feet and their whole bodies comes into action. They whirl round and round bending and straightening their bodies alternatively, hopping on one leg, raising their hands and clapping with their handkerchiefs. Colourful clothes comprised of the flowing turbans, chadra (covering for the lower body) and long kurtas (shirts) and waistcoats make this a very attractive dance to watch. The Bhangra season concludes with the Baisakhi fair when the wheat is harvested.

Clean yourself

by l_joo

Clean yourself is another important custom here as I saw many peoples gathering at the basin to wash their hands and face and then I saw again they wash their legs at the waterway built in front of the entrance.

The nearby Wagah Pakistan Border Ceremony

by MikeySoft

The Wagah Pakistan/India border is the only open land border between the two countries.

Every day they have the flags lowering ceremony near dust which is a carnival like atmosphere and somewhat of a pep rally between the two countries.

It is a large crowd when lots of bleachers but foreigners can go to the VIP bleacher to get closer to the border. Foreigners also don't have to wait in line before the area opens.

These two professional videos from the BBC will give you an ideal what it's all about:

Comedian Sanjeev Bhaskar' s Video
Michael Palin's Video
Please rate this tip and my others if you find them interesting, useful, or like the photos. Thanks

Wagah Border

by mallyak

Wagah is the border checkpost between India and Pakistan. It is maintained by the Border
Security Force (BSF) and it is their responsibility to man the Indian borders, especially
in peace time. Every evening as the sun sets, the officers on either side ceremoniously
lower the respective flags. This is the Retreat ceremony and visitors are allowed at this
time into the complex to witness the event.

Golden Temple - Dining Hall

by Willettsworld

Part of the Sikh religion is the fact that everyone is welcome to take a meal which consists of dahl (rather bland bean curry), rice and a chipati. The dining hall, which has signs over the entrance such as "The lord himself is the farm, himself is the farmer, himself he grows & grinds the corn", was packed with people when I visited, (even though it was only 10.45am), sitting on the floor in neat rows with silver trays in front of them waiting to be served.

Comments