Hotel Royal Castle

309, Albert Road, Amritsar, Punjab, 143 001, India
AMOMA.com MakeMyTrip.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Amritsar

Martyr's Well, were people jumped for cover.Martyr's Well, were people jumped for cover.

Amritsar Street SceneAmritsar Street Scene

Washing dishes after Langar (Free Lunch)Washing dishes after Langar (Free Lunch)

Inside Durgiana TempleInside Durgiana Temple

Amritsar Hotel

by littleshoe

Please can anyone advise of a decent clean hotel in Amritsar with a pool. I need a clean hotel as I will be visiting with my 1 year old daughter.

Please also can you advise is Amritsar the kind of place where people spend a couple of hours around the pool sunbathing, as if we look out of place, then I may as well look for a hotel without pool.

Thanks

by subpaul

Well.. when I go to Amritsar I chill at the Golden Temple (Sikh Temple) :) .. yes they provide blankets to sleep and hot tea when you wake up .. along with food..

So.. I can't give you hotel advise but I can give you the sunbathing advise. You will not see a lot of people doing that.. Maybe in higher end hotels but thats about it.. When I think of Amritsar.. I don't think of people chillin by the beach.. Calcutta.. on the other side.. is a great place for that. They are known for their beaches.

What are you in amritsar for?

by sacs2k1

Hi,

Following are the decent hotels in Amritsar with a pool (though you won't need a pool from October - March):

MK Hotel
Mohan International Hotel

If you can compromise on pool, you can try the heritage hotel Svaasa (www.svaasa.com)

All the hotels i've listed above have rooms starting from US$ 60 and can go upto US$ 100

You'll rarely find anyone sunbathing in Amritsar... i'd suggest you to stay in a hotel without a pool as the months ahead are not suitable for swimming. If you are looking for a hotel without a pool, you can check the following hotels:

Hotel Royal Castle
Hotel Grand Legacy
Hotel Raj Continental
Mrs. Bhandari Guest House (Housed in an old colonial building in beautiful cantt area)
Svaasa (as said above)
Hotel Golden Tower (near golden temple - but can be crowded and noisy)

by sacs2k1

Just a tip:

Though you won't find places to sunbath in AMritsar, you can relax on the marble floors near the lake inside the golden temple complex. Be sure to dress properly and cover your head.

Golden Temple is a holy place and exposing and nudity is not at all tolerated. You also need to cover your head. But you'll enjoy the peaceful and soulful enviornment.

by explore4passion

Hotel Blue Moon, in my opinion, shall be a better choice. However, you'll have to compromise on pool facility that I doubt any hotel in the city offers.

This hotel is located in Civil Lines Area, a posh locality, adjacent to Kwality Restaurant. Hotel offers noise & pollution free atmosphere and also has a decent lawn & caring people. I've myself enjoyed the hospitality of the hotel many a times.

There're no beach or river-side but Golden Temple, the Religious-prayer centre of Sikh Religion. But one must care for covering his/her head properly and any kind of nudity or open dresses are strictly prohibited.

You may like to see the evening-time, ceremoney of Indian & Pakistan Army at WAGHA BORDER, around 20~25 k.m from city/above hotel.

Enjoy your trip...

RE: RE: Amritsar Hotel

by suziherbert

I have stayed in the Ritz Plaza hotel twice and found it really friendly & clean. I have though heard good reccomendations about Mrs Bhandari's Guesthouse which may be another option (both of these have pools)

Travel Tips for Amritsar

Langar (Free Lunch) in the Golden Temple Complex

by MikeySoft

Do not miss the Langar when you are at the Golden Temple.

I wasn't sure if I should put this under Restaurants, Things to Do, or Local Customs. I decided to put it under Local Customs because it is more then a place to eat or a thing to do, it is a custom of the Sikhs to feed anyone who wants to eat. A Sikh friend also told me that I could also stay at a free hostel.

They have several big halls where they feed anyone who wants to come. It is well orginised and when one hall is filled up, a different one that just been clean from the last Langar opens up. The line is always moving and you get plenty to eat. Thus us not to be missed when you are in Amritsar.

You are under no obligation to help or donate but there was a donation box off to the side when you exit. No one is standing there asking you to give but I gave some US dollars for my appreciation. I used US dollars so that they would know my money was donated by a tourist. Some people were sitting in the distance and they smiled as waved at me and gave me the thumbs up after the say that I gave something.

Please rate this tip and my others if you find them interesting, useful, or like the photos. Thanks

Meeting local people in the Punjab

by MikeySoft

As we drove through Punjab for our next dentations, we stop and started to talk to some friendly local people. They invaded us into there home. This was an unexpected and wonderful experance.

Please rate this tips and my others when you find them interesting, helpful, or like the photos. Thanks.

The Jallianwalla Bagh Massacre

by MikeySoft

Jallianwalla Bagh is a large courtyard a short walk for the main gate of the Golden Temple Complex. It is where British General Dyer ordered solders in the massacre of innocent people before India got independence.

You can see the bullets holes in the walls and the well where people jump into to avoid being killed as depicted in the movie, "Gandhi".

In 1927, Dyer suffered a stroke and died of natural causes.
The Morning Post remembered him in an article titled "The Man Who Saved India" and "He Did His Duty"

But the Westminster Gazette wrote a contrary opinion:

"No British action, during the whole course of our history in India, has struck a severer blow to Indian faith in British justice than the massacre at Amritsar."

The Website: is a youtub link to the massacre in the movie "Ghandhi"

Golden Temple - Amrit Sarovar

by Willettsworld

The pool in which the Golden Temple stands in the middle of is called the Amrit Sarovar which means "Pool of Nectar" and it's from this that the city of Amritsar takes it's name. It was built in 1577, before the Golden Temple, by Ram Das who was the fourth Sikh guru and is where Sikh's are baptised.

Golden Temple - Bandanna me!

by Willettsworld

Now I don't normally like my photo being taken but the Golden Temple was such a highlight for me that I asked an Indian couple, who I had just taken a photo of, to take a photo of me complete with orange Golden Temple bandanna. Suits me don't you think!! But seriously, you have to cover your head before you enter into the complex and there are normally plenty of guys selling them for Rs10 outside. They also make good souvenirs.

Comments