Hotel Shalimar

Vanasthali Marg, opp. Sindhi Camp Bus Stand, Jaipur, Rajasthan, 302 001, India
Hotel Shalimar
Hotels.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

More about Jaipur

camels, another method of transportcamels, another method of transport

Intricately carved arches of Mubarak MahalIntricately carved arches of Mubarak Mahal

Iswari Minar - Feb 09Iswari Minar - Feb 09

Amber Palace in JaipurAmber Palace in Jaipur

Jaipur-Delhi

by Dean&Vanessa

Hello

We are interested in finding out if is possible to hire a car and driver to take us to Delhi from Jaipur? if so how much should we pay? and would it be possible to organize this thru the hotel?
If car is not the best option what others are there?

Thanks everyone

PS we have similar ??? in the Delhi and Agra forums

by radz

Hi
Hiring a car ia easy ,tell ur hotel reception they will arrange.
Delhi-Jaipur it may be around 65USD.
It depends per day ,or Per KM rate.
Dont go for a/c car,if you travelling winder no need of a/c car.You have to tell them otherwise they will giv eu a/c ask u more money.

By train ca you can go,From Delhi its 5 hr bus travelling time.

Radz

by Turleyhead

You can hire a car or go by train. If you want to hire a car to take you Jaipur-Agra-Delhi, you can do that. You should stop in Fatehpur Sikri on the way from Jaipur to Agra. They can charge you in a variety of ways, either per KM to take you from point A to point B, or a flat rate per day, which usually works out better if you wish to have the car at your disposal and want to be able to make side trips, etc. without worrying about extra KM charges.

If you choose to hire a car just to take you from one place to the other, they will charge you for the roundtrip mileage/KMs. It's usually somewhere around the ballpark of 7 Rs. per KM, but that varies on the area, the price of gas, the type of car, and whether or not you have AC.

Better to arrange through your hotel or a licensed travel agency or car service, as they will generally only deal with reputable, reliable, and safe drivers who have the proper permits and insurance.

by vebea

Hi,
There are lots of taxis and drivers, it is a normal practice to hire a driver.
We hired a driver + car for 19 days in India, and I can reccomend our driver to you, he is a most reliable person and it was the wisest thing to hire him, but for him our trip would have been a complete failure.
You can contact him here: http://www.johnhartwell.com/mahavir/

Agnes

Travel Tips for Jaipur

Amber Palace II - true MASS transportation

by pchamlis

One of the more popular tourist items on visits to the Amber Palace/Fort site in Jaipur would be the royal Raj elephants. The path from the parking area up to the palace entrance is a sloping pathway some 500 meters in length. It's a zig-zag back and forth design that allows you to climb to the Singh Pole Gate and the Jaleb Chowk, the opening "courtyard".

You can walk, it's a nice brisk affair that adds a bit up sloping cardio to get your heart pumping. You could take a jeep for the short ride, I understand the cost is 150 Rs for up to six people.

OR.... you can be a tourist and ride up to the Palace in "maharajah style", on the back of a decorated elephant. Riding the elephants was our choice, and we enjoyed the experience. I will tell you that I did learn that I didn't want to ride an elephant on a LONG trip.... kind of bumpy, folks. I also learned a new term, "elephant shower". That's when the elephant blows its nose/trunk as you're walking along. The funny, or perhaps less than funny, part is that YOU and the mahout get the shower. Sigh. Just cover your camera lens.

I guess you could consider riding an elephant to be MASS transit in the literal sense. I'm not sure what shade of "green" taking an elephant up the hill would be, ecologically speaking. I'll bet they can crank out greenhouse gases with the best of them. Then again, last time I checked, there have been some record cold temperatures over the last few weeks all over the world, so perhaps we need to turn up the gas. Maybe I should check with Al Gore. Yeah, right. :^/

The cost to ride to the Singh Pole Gate via Raj elephant is 400 Rs per elephant. Supposedly, each elephant can carry four people, but we chose to ride two elephants - Bonnie & Sara on one, with me on another. This enabled photography a bit more. :) I got over it later, but at first, the "elephant showers" kind of freaked me out. I had both a video and still camera, and I wasn't keen on getting too much pachyderm mucosa onto my camera lenses, not to mention, on ME. As I got off the elephant on the top, I asked my wife if they got a shower or two. They didn't know what I was talking about. I guess I just had an elephant that wanted to clear its trunk a couple of times. sigh. :)

=================================================

One quick note... many guidebooks make reference to the elephants being not treated well, they reference mahout cruelty and abuse. I was on the lookout for any such issue when we arrived at the Palace, and had our elephants appeared remotely to be in any distress, neglect or agony, we would have refused to frequent the business. I make no claim to being an animal expert, but... from where I sat and from the time I rode up at the Palace, I saw no mistreated animals, no signs of illness, abuse or neglect. Perhaps a previously bad situation is improving, due to the vocal concern of the traveling public.

Balaji ka Mandir

by MM212

This palatial structure is a temple dedicated to the monkey god Hanuman, who is also known as Balaji. It consists of three floors with arched balconies and a pink sandstone façade. The temple is located very close to Sisodia Rani ka Bagh, east of Jaipur on the way to Galta.

India's Best Lassi

by TomorrowsAngel about Laxmi Misthan Bhandar (LMB)

Pass through the chaotic sweetshop and into the serene breezy restaurant. It appears to have been recently renovated in an 'out-there 80s' theme.
The waiters speak good English, and remember your face if you come back a year or two later. Food is served promptly and they keep the water poured and hot pooris coming. The cuisine is strictly Brahman (no onion or garlic are used in preparation), but pickled onions are served as an accompaniment, for those who choose to partake, and no meat or alcohol are allowed on the premises.
I can recommend the samosas, kachoori and sweet lassi (comes with topped with fresh curd, and the drink is lightly flavoured with rose - yum).
This lassi would have to be my favourite (second place goes to makhani lassi in Jodhpur).

Monuments

by shane_balmes

Hawa Mahal is the most easily recalled landmarks of Jaipur and is also its icon. Located in the city Palace it is best viewed from the outside for the palace is really a facade. This five-storey building overlooking the busy bazaar street is a stunning example of Rajput architecture and artistry with its pink delicately honeycombed 953 sandstone windows known as 'jharokhas'. It was originally built for the ladies of the royal household to watch everyday life and processions in the city from their veiled comfort.

not to attract tourist

Monkey Temple

by schlumpf

The Monkey Temple, a.k.a “Galta” or the “temple of the Sun God”, is my favourite place in Jaipur, or even in the whole Rajasthan.
First of all because once I got there, there was no one tourist beside me!!! And this is really unbelievable..Considered that, this place is a very holy place for Hindu.
The way you gotta take to reach this place from Jaipur is pretty hard. First of all you gotta rent a Rickshaw which will take you on the base, then you gotta take a quiet deep hill and reach the top.
Along the way you will meet hundreds and hundreds oif monkeys, that’s way the name of the place...
Once you are on the top, you gotta take direction Monkey Temple (ask to the people you will meet along the way). Durign the way you will meet some holy places where you will meet a lot of Sadhu praying.
Then, to reach the Monkey temple, you gotta take a very deep downhill, which will take you with a 1,5Km walk to the main entrance.
The Monkey temple is a very big compex with a holy water, temples and buildings.
You will meet a lot of genlte people and a lot of Monkeys, too!
I didn’t pay any entry fee, so i do not know anything about that.

Comments