Hotel Taran

Adinath Nagar, World Trade Parks, Opp. Genpact India, JLN Marg,, Jaipur, 302017, India

More about Jaipur

Amber FortAmber Fort

bye bye rubbishbye bye rubbish

Cenotaph of Sawai Jai Singh IICenotaph of Sawai Jai Singh II

Street scenes in JaipurStreet scenes in Jaipur

Travel Tips for Jaipur

Block printing workshop

by grets

We were taken to a block printing workshop - yet another salesploy - guides get 50% commission on anything you buy!

It was still very interesting, seeing how the prints are hand made with small wooden blocks, usually with three different colours.

Sierh Deori Bazaar

by keeweechic

Sierh Deori Bazaar is where you will find the ‘Palace of the Winds’ (Hawa Mahal).
Along the road to Agra through a narrow gorge in the south-eastern corner of the walled city.
Most of the buildings in this old walled section of the city are painted in a rust-like colour. The Kalki Temple also opens out into this bazaar. Various stores line this road.

Rickshaw Fun

by SabrinaSummerville

Our driver asked if we wanted to go for a rickshaw ride and we looked at each other, giggling like kids, and agreed with a mixture of trepidation and excitement.

When the rickshaws pulled up I was even more dubious, as their drivers both looked about eighty years old and weighed about seven stone. I figured there was no way these guys could manage us, but our driver encouraged us and, on the understanding that this is a way of life for them, off we set around Jaipur.

The signts were amazing, and so much easier to see the real city when using the local mode of transport.

There was a little consternation when both rickshaws stopped inexplicably at a market and motioned us to stay where we were. Next thing my driver arrived back with garlands of marigolds for each of us, and a beautiful rose (which I put in my hair).

At the end of the half hour trip we tipped them handsomely. although we were subsequently warned against over-tipping.

It was one of the real highlights of my trip and I'd just love to do it again. It's one of those things that leaves a big smile on your face :-)

jaipur museum...

by husain

...or the Albert hall. The elephant festival which i was shooting, had the museum as one of the places enroute...
The museum houses portraits of maharajas, miniatures and other paintings depicting tales from the past, costumes, weapons of war, etc.

Learn how to block print

by Hind_S

Part of our tour in Jaipur was to an emporium where they try to sell you the local products. These are usually annying stops, impossible to get out of and purely aimed at selling you stuff. This one wasn't bad though.
Our guide took us to a particular emprium that I do not remember the name of, where they gave us a demonstration of how block printing works and even let me try my hand at it.
It was pleasant enough and I have a little square piece of fabric that i block printed an elephant onto as a reminder of the trip.

And I didn't buy anything!

Comments