Jaipur Hotels

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3686

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

LEBUA LODGE AT AMER (FORMERLY RASA RESORT): THE WORST LUXURY HOTEL IN THE WORLD

I have no idea how a chain of luxury resorts could completely screw up a wonderful hotel and make guests so angry. I recommend that you do not stay here. I was excited when I booked a tailor-made trip across India. This was actually the Rasa Resort at the time I booked here. I was really excited about the idea of staying in a ‘Luxury Tent’ in an historic and rural setting. I couldn’t wait to sit outside and sip a cold beer while watching the sunset on the mountains. The pool area looked beautiful and the restaurant as well. The selling point for me was that despite being a tent, that the resort prided itself on being quiet.

Except for the pool – all of this proved to be very very wrong.

When my driver was approaching the hotel on a deserted road, he stopped. Something was wrong. There were signs for the Lebua Hotel. The driver rang the hotel to be told to proceed as the hotel has just been purchased by the Lebua chain of hotels. Big mistake. We were greeted at the ancient wooded gates by the night guard and drove down into the field where the tents and facilities were located. My driver dropped me off at reception and drove off to the city to stay at his accommodation. I was shown to my tent and everything seemed fine.

Once the door was closed I started to notice the first signs of why I would suggest you book another luxury hotel in the area.

I went to the mini-bar to get a cold beer and unpack. Weird. There was NO ALCOHOL in the mini-bar. I thought it was very odd, but I have seen hotels where they leave a small sign to say just ask for the alcohol to be put in. Keeps kids from getting into trouble, fair enough. Hmmm. No sign. Anyway I unpacked and inspected the nice bathroom. That was the best part. I looked at the ‘Tent’ and realised that only 1 wall was actually anything approaching a tent. No problem. It was really quiet. I had some nice furniture outside and thought I would go to the bar and get a drink for outside later. First things were to get to the bar, get a beer, and make my way to the restaurant as it was getting late. I ended up in reception and they said to go by the pool area. I found the cool pool. In fact there are actually table IN the pool itself so you literally sit inside the water. Maybe tomorrow I thought. I walked past the restaurant looking for the bar. Nothing. Outside of the restaurant was one of those crazy puppet shows they have at most luxury hotels. They expect to be paid afterwards. I hate puppets and said no. This obviously was translated as ‘ok’ and they said they would be waiting for me. Great.

So in I went to get a meal. The waiters greeted me and handed me a menu. I didn’t see any drinks listed. When they came back for my order I picked some VERY expensive dishes and ordered a beer and my food. After a long wait I asked for a beer again. That’s when they dropped the bomb. Partially.

”We don’t serve any alcohol”.

OK, then. Where is the bar? Ah. We don’t have a bar.

What!?

Yes – Lebua doesn’t sell alcohol. At THIS resort. In fact it’s the only resort they own WORLDWIDE that does not sell alcohol. And it gets worse! It was miles to the nearest store or bar and they said it could take an hour for a taxi to come out. So no beer for me. Also they didn’t want to tell me they had no alcohol until I had already ordered my food. Tricky.

Anyway, I went back to my semi-tent and went to bed noticing just how quiet it was. I was dreaming away….

THUMP! THUMP! BANG BANG BANG BANG! THUMP! THUMP!

I could suddenly hear loud music. No, loud drumming. It went on for minutes then stopped. Then started again. I rang reception and they said there was NO music! I got dressed and went to find the source. Near the pool. Yes – it was the damn puppet show and a few unsuspecting fellow guests. I have to say the show sucked, but they were good drummers. 2 phone calls later (2!) to reception and finally the drums stopped. I did point pout it was past 11pm at night.

Silence…..dreaming….

THUMP! THUMP! BANG BANG BANG BANG! THUMP! THUMP!

You have got to be joking. I rang reception. They again said there was NO music! I demanded that they go to the pool area – again – and tell them to stop. Reception interpreted this as sending a guy to my tent. He wanted to come inside and find the source of the noise. Yes, really. I explained that it was outside. He said no. Argghhh!!!!

I demanded that he follow me towards the pool area and he came with me. He then started saying that sometimes the air-conditioning units make banging noises. He wanted to go back to my tent. I stopped and explained no, it was from the pool area. He started pointing in a different direction and walked off looking for the noise. I was just following him when the drums start again from the pool area!

I demanded that he follow me even as he said it wasn’t music, but air-condition units. Argghh!!

We arrived at the pool area to find that behind the puppets was a huge wedding party with 200 people outside. With musicians. Nice. I had given up on the staff member who kept lying to me. I marched down to reception to let them know what I thought. This achieved nothing. The music did get a bit quieter, but it went on. I did notice that the wedding guests had brought their won alcohol and were transporting bottles of wine between their rooms and the party. Well, I would make sure I picked up some cold beer tomorrow.

The next day I picked up lots of cold beer on my way back to the hotel and filled my mini-bar! I then went with a nice bottle of cold beer to sit by the pool and enjoy the sunset. This lasted for about 3 minutes.

“You cannot drink alcohol outside. You can only drink it in your room.”

Nice. So, If I have 199 friends I can, but drink solo and you are under house arrest. When I asked why not? I was told “If you do it, every other guest will want do this”. EXACTLY!!!! Argghhh! Then, bizarrely, they moved my room. Yep, they had another wedding that night. When I asked, they lied and said no. I knew they were lying.

Anyway, I opened a beer and sat just outside my room and out of sight from the pool, restaurant and reception. This lasted 2 beers before a staff member arrived. Yep – go to your room! When I went to dinner later, they confirmed I could not bring my beer in. I just kept getting up from the table and drinking in my room and back.

Then the drums started. Several calls and a confrontation at reception and the wedding that didn’t exist got a bit quiet.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Outside of Saudi Arabia and Iran (ONLY) – this is the only ‘Luxury Hotel’ in the known world that does not sell or allow you to drink alcohol within the grounds of the hotel . Except in your room like you are doing something wrong. I even rand my tour agency and they really did not believe it. The manager of the agency had drunk beers there (as the RASA Resort) just 2 weeks before. At the pool!

And there was the attempted fraud!

Only these idiots could try and pull something as shocking at check-out. When I went in this idiot was on a mobile and ignoring me. I kept trying to check out as my driver – and my tour – was waiting to leave. The guy suddenly asked me to put my credit card in the machine. It only said ‘enter pin’. I did. Then the guy did something suspicious. He took the small slip and the full page receipt and folded it up in an envelope. Then he sealed it. Given that these guys were already liars, I decided to not trust them. In fact I have always been presented with the full page bill to check for accuracy. That’s when I discovered the attempted fraud. I opened the sealed envelope and the full page just said ‘Charges’ and a cool $120. Nice!

When I confronted him, he made lots of weird excuses. It took 30 minutes for the hotel to sort this out.

There is seriously something wrong with this hotel. Best avoided!

• Fraudulent charges on your bill
• Loud parties you are not invited to
• No alcohol sold or served
• You cannot drink your own alcohol outside of your own room
• Crazy puppet guys ambush you (twice) when you try and get to the restaurant
• Restaurant prices are shockingly high – higher than in Delhi!
• Remote – so no shopping for anything
• Other than a pool and restaurant – that’s it

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written July 5, 2013

Lebua Lodge at Amer

• vpas profile photo vpas
  • Reviews: 729

Maharaja Palace: A low end hotel which is conveniently located

This is a no frills place that is ideal for a short stay. The rooms are clean. There is room service of vegetarian food. If you are just looking for a place to stay without any fancy additions then this is the place. I would not stay here since I prefer better ambience, but I would recommend this to anyone looking for clean and well located accommodation. They have air conditioned and non ac rooms.

Very near the bus stop, auto stand and railway station.

• Written April 28, 2012

• umashanker profile photo umashanker
  • Reviews: 45

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Holy Family: Hotel in peaceful Raja Park,Jaipur

There are many hotels in this posh and peaceful locality of Jaipur. We stayed there as group of relative and hired the whole hotel for engagement ceremony of my brother in law.

Unique quality is the small lawn and view from terrace.It is wonderful view from hotel terrace of Moti Dungri temple.All rooms are small with double bed,AC,Cable TV and attach Bathroom.Unique is the Hotel manager Mr.Robinson who is a helping guy from Kerala.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Festivals
  • Written July 9, 2010

Rooftop,Hotel

• uhmno profile photo uhmno
  • Reviews: 2

Karni Niwas: nice budget hotel

Rs 650 for double room with ceiling fan, got a newer room in the back which was nice, with bath tub (no shower curtain so you still soak the place), warm water showers but our top floor room didn’t seem to have enough water pressure to get a warm shower in the mornings, large room and large bathroom, very clean, satellite TV, room service, downstairs internet for Rs 1 / minute and a phone that can be used to make international calls, rooms with A/C available too for Rs 900, friendly owner, includes a ride back to the train station and ask about the fair priced rickshaw driver to see sites around town (better than battle-bargaining with rickshaw drivers on the street)

• Written November 25, 2007

• NYTim profile photo NYTim
  • Reviews: 111

Laxmi Palace Hotel: What a great place

Spotless place with objects d' art placed in prominent locations. Great breakfast at more than reasonable prices. The owners are delighted to see you and the staff are personable and eager to help. There is a balcony where one can be served cold beer -- at great prices -- and meet other travelers. This was my best hotel experience in India

The views of the mountains and forts and the watching the street life -- quiet street -- was fascinating. The

• Related to: Castles and Palaces, Road Trip, National/State Park
  • Written October 23, 2007

• WanderingFinn profile photo WanderingFinn
  • Reviews: 354

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Ghoonghat Palace: A budget hotel in Jaipur

It is interesting how the hotels in India get their stars. This one should have been a 3-star hotel, but I would describe it a 1-2 star hotel.

Almost dirty bed linen (perhaps no, but at least very weary and old), dirty carpets, small room.

Perhaps suitable for those with very low budget.

We didn't choose this hotel; it was part of our package tour to Agra (Taj Mahal) and Rajasthan (Jaipur).

Nothing that I would remember right now.

• Written August 3, 2007

• janetra profile photo janetra
  • Reviews: 3

Hotel Lake Palace: Rajastan's Friendliest Hotel

I have stayed at this hotel many times since 2005. The staff are really helpful and friendly and treat me as a friend, inviting me to all the events that are taking place in the hotel.

The area is quiet and it is a wonderful place to see the sunrise over the Jal Mahal.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Castles and Palaces, Festivals
  • Written March 22, 2007

• RAJASTHANBYCAR profile photo RAJASTHANBYCAR
  • Reviews: 805

Hotel Karnot Mahal: Ancient haveli converted to heritage hotel

The hotel is allocated in the middle of the Pink City with a starnge entrance, but as soon as you step inside, a beautful garden appears with comfootable and real Indian style places to have rest.The room was clean and nice.The hotel own generator so we didn't suffer from power cut and hot water was also running.From the roof you can get a great view on the pink city.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Castles and Palaces, Seniors, Luxury Travel
  • Written March 14, 2007

Garden

• keeweechic profile photo keeweechic
  • Reviews: 10970

Holiday Inn

The Holiday Inn hotel is only 10 mins from the city centre and close to many of the major attractions.

They have 72 rooms & suites which have a hair dryer, tea/coffee making facilities, satellite TV and mini bar. Room service is available 24 hrs also.

The hotel has the Palms coffee shop which serves both an international and Indian cuisine which is open from dawn to midnight. The bar is also open until midnight serving imported wines and spirits. The restaurant overlooks the courtyard and serves Indian dishes for lunch and dinner.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Castles and Palaces, Road Trip
  • Written May 26, 2006
Tip Photo

• mariocibelli profile photo mariocibelli
  • Reviews: 351

Vaishnavi Guest House: hidden by the train station

By chance ended up here as my train was six hours late to Jaisalmer and enede up haveing to stay in Jaipur another night. Got stuck at 5 AM looking for a hotel and at the mercy of Raj the Rickshaw driver and ened up here. It was too expensive, but quite nice. Food was fantastic and had a suite for 800 Rupees, in a neighborhod in fron of the station.

Fantastci Food at rooftop restarant.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written June 21, 2005

• renatob profile photo renatob
  • Reviews: 57

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

chit chat: away from the smog

an extremely cosy hostel,maybe the best one i had in india.the rooms are spacious and three of them share an internal garden,far away from the smog and the traffic of the city.The guys working there are extremely nice ,with the right people sharing with you the garden could be a great experience(if you meet john an aussie married with an indian it will be great fun).there is a restaurant as well with excellent food inside the complex

• Written March 2, 2005

Hardik Palace Hotel: Hardik Palace Hotel

200Rs room with double bed, bathroom attached. Address is D-19-20, Kalwad Scheme, Gopal Badi, Jaipur. Near to Sindi Camp Bus Station, 5 minutes walkable to railway station.

• Written February 28, 2005

Hotel Amit: Hotel Amit

Hotel Amit 200Rs room with double bed, bathroom attached. Located on the main street near to central bus station.

• Written February 28, 2005

Hardik Palace Hotel: Hardik Palace Hotel

200Rs only for big clean room with bathroom attached and restaurant available located at Sindi Camp Bus Station, behind railway station, 5 minutes walk only. Why I prefer here was its convenience to buy train ticket and also but bus ticket and at night I can eat the best fish curry chapati. Sindi Camp BS is where you can buy bus ticket on the spot and choose the bus on the spot. Many long distance sleeper buses with good condition and clean around here, tourists travel long distance can buy tickets here.

How to get there?
When arrived Sindi Camp BS, the road is quite big with many buses parking at roadside. Many Auto workshops around, yes you just walk towards it and in one of the alleys you can see Hotel Hardik Palace.

• Written February 25, 2005
Tip Photo

• schlumpf profile photo schlumpf
  • Reviews: 384

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Athithi Guest House: A nice place, but not the first choise!

Another nice place to stay is called Athithi Guesthouse, quiet closed to the center of the Old city.
It is the normal Guesthouse but with very cleaned rooms with A/C.
Here you will find also a lot of organized groups,. So that’s probably why I didn’t enjoy so much my stay here and I left the morning after!
The only one thing worng is that the staff isn’t so nice and helpfull.
It costs quiet a lot to being a GH, as a doubel runs beetween 500/700Rs.
So, if you have a choise, this should not be your first one, better the Jaipur Inn, no doubt!

• Written January 28, 2005