Pink Pearl Hotel & Fun City

Looking through Tripolia GateLooking through Tripolia Gate

Amber Palace in JaipurAmber Palace in Jaipur

Diwali

by janetra

We are hoping to be in Jaipur for Diwali arriving on the 31st October. Can anyone tell us if we need to book accomodation in advance.

RE: Diwali

by indiashining

hi
Jaipur has many hotels and guest houses so dont worry for accomodation but in diwali there may be rush in hotels so i advice u to book u r hotels u can go to indian hotels pages in google and most of the 5 star hotels have thier websites
and if u want that i can book for u plz contact me on cyberhotmirchi@yahoo.com or my tele no. is 917927419771
have a nice trip

pratik

RE: RE: Diwali

by janetra

Thanks for the information Pratik

RE: Diwali

by DEVAM

hi
read ur question,let me suggest u that if u r planning to be at diwali in jaipur u should make ur bookings in advance becoz there is much rush near and after diwali.
let me introduce myself myself devam 24 m,student.i am new toVT ,i iked this site.
bye the way if u have any other enquiry about jaipur or whole rajasthan ask me at my id devamcozy@yahoo.com,i will be there always present.
making freinds is my hobby
waiting eagerly for ur eply
devam

Travel Tips for Jaipur

City Palace V - The Armory and other museums

by pchamlis

The city palace has museum after museum, display after display dedicated to the history of the royal family and its presence in Jaipur and Rajasthan. Unfortunately, you won't see many/any photos from within these museums as photography is prohibited.

One of my favorite museums had a collection of historic garments. There were royal wedding gowns and coronations gowns. There were fineries owned by the princesses and other ladies of the court.

There is also the Armory, which is dedicated to the military aspect of the maharajah and his armies. There is a huge collection of armaments.... guns, massive swords and scimitars. There are medieval-looking spiked hammers, shields and other devices that will remind you that torture is not a recent human development. All very interesting.

BTW, you'll see the the crowds tend to be larger in the armory sections best covered by the massive corner fans. Like many of the museum rooms at the City Palace, there is little or no formal airconditioning, so...... it IS hot. A couple of things.....

In the armory, seeing an 11-pound sword that once belonged to one of Akbar the Great's generals was impressive. Ladies and gentlemen, to quote Paul Hogan in the famous movie "Crocodile Dundee II"...... THAT's a KNIFE.

And, over at the clothing displays, we learned of one maharajah who was approximately 6'3" tall and weighed somewhere approaching 500 pounds. It was said that his waist was well over 60 inches. In short, this was one B I G man. We saw his royal robe and it was instantly easy to imagine him in person. There was so much wool in that robe, I'll bet it wiped out a herd of camels making it. And besides all the heavy heavy material (remembering that it was being worn in sunny Rajasthan), there were oodles and boodles of hand-sewn precious stones and other accessories added as decoration. Wow.

Amber Town

by keeweechic

Amber is a small town which once was an ancient capital of the Jaipur state until 1728. Today it lies below Amber Fort, around 8kms from Jaipur. Amber town is famous for its Hindu and Muslim architecture. You can also take an elephant ride from the town up to Amber Fort. There are many crumbling havelis and temples which can still be seen in the old town of Amber. The Jagat Shiromani temple and Sun temple are still in good condition.

Getting There

by keeweechic

By Air:
Jaipur has domestic flights connecting it to Delhi, Mumbai, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Aurangabad, Calcutta and Varanasi. Indian Airlines and Jet Airways fly to Jaipur. The Sanganer Airport is about 12kms from the city.

By Train:
There is an overnight train service which runs to Jaipur from most of the major points around the country. The Shatabadi Express provides a fast, air-conditioned rail service from Delhi.

Take a cooking class

by jane.amanda

When I was planning my trip I wanted to do something different and unusual-not the general sight seeing eat at a local place everyday. Though I did do that twice in a row. The third day I took a cooking class. I have never cooked before (unless you count microwave meals) but in two hours I whipped up some great white meat, indian bread, vegetable dumplings (under supervision).
I spent half the day with this lady. We went shopping for ingredients in the local market-fresh vegetables, meats etc. Then we chopped and cleaned, we cooked and finally we dug into the meat which was delicious!! All for a very affordable price. Worth it!

Silver Vessels at the City Palace

by Waxbag

The most interesting part of the City Palace Complex is the Diwan-i-khas (Hall of Private Audiences) and the twin sterling silver vessels. The hall is an open air structure with crystal chandeliers. In the marble paneled gallery stands two silver vessels which were commissioned and taken by Maharaja Madho Singh II to London filled with water from the Ganges. He did not risk ?ritual pollution? by bathing in the Thames. These vessels can hold 9000L each, stand 5?3?? tall, and weigh 345Kg. They have been recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest sterling silver objects in the world. I had an interesting time photographing these vessels as they distorted the room in their mirrored surface.

Comments