Hotel Fifu

Plot No.22, Opposite Nagarpalika, Bera Road, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, 345001, India

Booking.com HotelTravel.com Agoda.com

• Wanderingjon's Profile Photo

Lovely Hotel

I booked Fifu, but we got put in the Jasmine 30 metres away. Ordinarily I'd be arguing about that kind of thing but both hotels are lovely. It turns out that each one is (genuinely) owned by two brothers and they share the load depending on occupancy rates etc. We ended up eating at the Fifu and sleeping at the Jasmine, although the Fifu owner said we were free to take breakfast (included) at whichever hotel we liked. The rooms in the Jasmine are new and clean. Comfy beds. En suite. Small private balcony overlooking a sandy schoolyard - fascinating at 08:30am when roll call and outdoor assembly takes place. There is a rooftop restaurant but fort views are somewhat restricted. The Jasmine Indian breakfast was simple but spicy and delicious. The owner is a total gentleman; the people seem to get more friendly the deeper you go into Rajastan. Hotel Fifu, meanwhile, must be among Jaisalmir's best dining locations, irrespective of the fact that it's quite cheap. Covered rooftop restaurant gives 100 percent views of fort, at the perfect distance for great photos. Food is all vegetarian and totally delicious. I recommend the Maharawa thali; more flavour than you can shake a stick at. Serves beer. Fifu proprietor equally benevolent. Don't be put off by the dusty and scruffy entrance to Beera 'Road', both hotels are really nice and both owners cannot do enough for their guests. We didn't want to leave.

More about Hotel Fifu

Fifu's - nothing too much trouble

by TripAdvisor Member cheest

Lovely place to stay - staff are really friendly, obliging and genuinely helpful.

Rooftop restaurant has the most beautiful view over the fort and is perfect place for breakfast or and evening beer. Our room was gorgeous with lovely saree fabrics, immaculate bathroom and incredible fort view - greatly enhanced by viewing whilst lounging on window seat in room!

Really good value - makes it an excellent place to stay, cheap enough for long-term travelling but attention to detail and quality of experience perfect for shorter holiday too.

Fifu can sort anything for you and is a very nice man. He managed to find someone to fix my rucksack short notice for very reasonable price and nothing is too much bother for him. His brother also runs Camel Treks into the desert. With so many places running these we decided to opt for this one as was convenient and we already knew Fifu was honest! We did a half day trek and it was such a great experienc. His brother is a great guide, and an even better cook for alfresco eating in the dunes under the stars. Dont know how the trek compares price wise you could probably hunt around and bargain and get something a little cheaper but I bet it wouldnt be as good. Very personal experience and still really reasonable price.

One of the best places I have stayed in India! Thanks Fifu

Frienly and professional people

by TripAdvisor Member tiad

I stayed at Fifu Guest House with a group of 14 students aged 17-18 years old from the Steiner School of Geneva and 7 adults in february 2007. We were on a social trip doing pedagogical activities between our students and the children and teachers from [-----]

Fifu and Jitu run Fifu Guest House in a totally professional manner. It is a peaceful place, where you eat very good indian food, rooms and bathrooms are beautifully and harmoniously decorated as well as very clean, prices are very convenient and, the most important thing is how one feels there, the sincere attention and interest you receive, the help -if necessary-, the good information they share with you, the friendly and peaceful athmosphere. No money can pay the respect one feels there. I feel I will go back to this place. They are great professionals and, above all, now they have become friends of the heart. Thanks to you 2 and to the staff. You are all great and you are doing a great job! Keep on sharing your way of doing.

A home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member Colognechacha

I have been many times at Jaisalmer and saw many places there. This was one of the best places I stayed at Jaisalmer. The rooms are very comfortable and delightfully loving equipped.
The rooftop restaurant has the most magnificent view over the fort and is the perfect place for breakfast or a sundowner. You can also get very good real indian food – always fresh prepared.
We got excellent service and warm hospitality. People here are very honest, friendly and always courteous. Fifu, the owner organized a great Camel safari for me and my group members somewhere at the sand dunes.
Fifu, his brother Jitu and the complete staff made our stay here very comfortable. I felt like home away from home. I had a very enjoyable stay here and recommend this place without hesitation. After one year it was my second stay at Fifu’s Guest House and I am sure I’ll be coming back.

Claudius, Cologne, Germany

Sanctuary from the Hustle and Bustle

by TripAdvisor Member admcc77

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Fifu in early April and arrived on the 20 hour overnight train from Delhi, tired and hungry. Fifi and Jitu had arranged an Autorickshaw from the station and we were quickly whisked off to the hotel.

This hotel stands outside of the historic fort and I would avise visitors to stay here as the number of tourists staying inside the fort is causing the place to fall apart.

However, ethical reasons aside there countless reasons why you should stay in this hotel. It is very fairly priced and impeccably clean. In addition to this the food and views available from the rooftop veranda really make for a great atmosphere.

Nothing seemed to be too much trouble from the people at this hotel and we were reliably advised of the best places in Jaisalmer to go to eat and to buy things, without the inevitable commission/hard sell, that we found a theme of many of the places we subsequently stayed. Fifu and his brother found time to chat to us on all manner of subjects from history and politics through to Asha Bolse and R D Burman (Bollywood soundtracks)!!

It was with great saddness that we left Hotel Fifu as we were made to feel like friends and family rather than paying guests, but Pushkar beckoned and that was a VERY different story!

this was easily the nicest place we stayed in in India and I would urge any visitor to this beautiful town to opt to stay here...

(Adrian McConnell and Marion Leming)

Hospitality at Fifu Guest House

by TripAdvisor Member Alexandra14

The hospitality at Fifu Guest House is great!
The owners are really friendly and make you feel at home. The decoration is colourfull and really tastefull!
Sitting on the benches of the roof-terrace, you have a lovely view at the castle.

A real home in India

by TripAdvisor Member SpanishTraveller2007

We stayed at Hotel Fifu for 3 nights in july 2007. We got there after
a long journey of 13 hours by train and they were waiting for us at the station in Jaisalmer. The moment we got to the hotel, we felt as at home which is very appreciated after 10 days travelling in India. The food is very nice at the hotel and very reasonably priced. The staff is very polite and helpful and Fifu and his brother Jitu were our protectors in Jaisalmer. They did take care of us even when we left Jaisalmer and went to Jodhpur leaving personal issues behind to make sure we could buy a plane ticket when we had a transportation problem due to weather conditions!

The hotel itself is extremely clean and very nicely decorated. Each room is different and they do look as in the picture. We went on the camel safari with them and I do recommend the experience. Very well organized, lots of mineral water and nicely cooked food. If you can, stay for the night or at least for dinner (they cook in the desert) it is really worthwhile.

It is not in the old part of Jaisalmer but getting there is very cheap by ricksaw (20 Rs) and if they are around they are so helpful to give you a lift to take you where you want to go. If we come back to Jaisalmer, we will definetely stay there again.

Simply Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member MLBarcelona

Fifu's House is one of the best places were i've been. The rooms are very cosy, the food is excelent and the roof top views to the Jaisalmer city are breathtaking.
But the best of all is the simpaty of the owner (Fifu), that stays around talking to you and sharing stories, making you fell at home.
Highly recomendable. Makes you wish to come back.

All encompasing hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member cloverick

We were on a professional photography shoot and numbered about 9 in total. Fifu's partner (I forget his name) was our guide in Jodhpur and on the journey to, and about Jaisalmer. Fifu also hooked us up with lodgings in Jodhpur. He seems very well connected through-out the region and was able to listen to what we wanted and tailor just the right sort of adventures and locations for our needs- he really listened. Quite apart from that he was the most hospitable and relaxed (but not on service, nor quality thereof) host. The hotel is simple but firmly, cleanly and tastefully decorated. It really is an oasis and feels much like home. One feels as though one is staying at Fifu's home, but also a clean and very well catered to guesthouse- the best of both worlds. The guest house location is a little way out of Jaisalmer (2 minutes in Taxi), which makes it all the more relaxing and, with the roof top dining and relaxing area, it really is an island of calm in an otherwise crazy, cluttered- but very charming and interesting- fort town. I would stay again without a moments hesitation. Cheers Fifu and crew.

Civilised, clean, friendly Fifu

by TripAdvisor Member RobandMand

We stayed at the Fifu on the recommendation of Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed.

I'll divide this review into five topics I hope you'll find helpful.
location, rooms, restaurant, friendliness, other

1. Location; Don't be put off by it's supposedly 'out of the way' location. It's about a 10 minute walk to the fort, and the rikshaws are of course ubiquitous. Fifu will gladly drive you wherever you need to go if you ask him as well.

2. Rooms:After a dusty camel trek, we needed somewhere restful, comfortable and clean. We found all these here in abundance. If you look at the photos above you'll see that the decor is really well thought through. They use materials from local sources, so everything feels authentic.
The air conditioning is blissful of course.
Our room had a view of the fort and a semi private balcony (that was shared with a second unoccupied room) There was a table and sofas from which you could admire the fort as you reclined.

3. Restaurant: on the roof. Fantastic views. Easy to stay up there for hours. Food was delicious.

4. Friendliness. The owners are very visible. But not intrusive. They are full of smiles and have a good understanding of the needs of westerners as well as their expectations. It's such a blessed relief after the constant pressuring of some of the local shop owners. Before doing a trek, or buying something, you could do a lot worse than ask them where to go. They desperately want to improve and do well, and understand the importance of having a trustworthy reputation so you can be sure that they will not misdirect you for a quick buck.

5. Other; Fifu and Jitu want to do well. They should. We were a bit disappointed that they were unable to provide a travel service. Since they are out of the way a little, they have a captive audience. If they could have sorted out our flights to Tamil Nadu, or our trains to jodhpur, we would have used them without hesitation, and we wouldn't have been ripped off by the agency down the road!

Lastly. You can bet your bottom dollar that Fifu and Jitu will read this review. In which case. "hello! and thankyou for a lovely stay!"

Worst hotel experience during our Rajasthan trip

by TripAdvisor Member mush63

I sent an email to Fifu to reserve our stay a few weeks before we were to be in Jaisalmer. We also booked our desert safaris for our family. After looking through the reviews, this seemed like the best place to stay. I got a prompt confirmation, and a week before we were to be in Jaisalmer, I called them on the phone to confirm our room. I was told to look for their man at the railway station, and not listen to anyone else who approaches us.

When we arrived into Jaisalmer, I could not find anyone from Fifu to receive us. There was a swarm of folks trying to take us to their hotel of choice, but we put them at bay for a while. After a few minutes, I decided to call Fifu. I was told our room wont be available till later that night, and there was no one currently that could receive us at the railway station! I was told to hire transport to get my bags to their hotel.

Given this rude treatment, we decided to go elsewhere. We actually end up staying inside the fort in Jaisalmer, in Killa Bhavan and enjoyed our stay.

I was very disappointed with the treatment meted to us by Fifu. It directly contradicts what everyone else has experienced.

Ruins of KuldharaRuins of Kuldhara

Poeple in traditional attirePoeple in traditional attire

Manager helping AJ with day's itineraryManager helping AJ with day's itinerary

The arch at the entranceThe arch at the entrance

Comments