Hotel Jaisal Palace

Expedia.com Tingo.com Travelocity

More about Jaisalmer

Wood FossilWood Fossil

Sand DunesSand Dunes

Camels waiting patiently (some) for the raceCamels waiting patiently (some) for the race

on the terraceon the terrace

Travel Tips for Jaisalmer

Watching the Transit of Venus!!!

by aadil

The only reason we came to Jaisalmer was for the Transit of Venus as the possiblity of clear skies was most from here!!! And it remained so till the next day when it rained a little bit!!! But I surely plan to return someday soon to see all the wonderful things it is actually famous for!!! We had set up a whole set of cameras, binoculars and video recording facilities for the event and this is me with the equipment!!! All the equipment was heated up due to the intense heat of the sun so we had to keep white towels to protect them and ourselves too!!! HAHAHA!!!

Saving oneslf from the uv!

by alexandria08

Its necessary to carry a pair of sunglasses and sunscreen lotion. Additionally, I managed well with a Rajasthani 'Bandhni' dupatta or scarf. It gave me the traditional look as well saved me from the sun. Even in Jan-Feb, the days can be real hot. But then the nights are chilly. So woolens is a must in winter, as well as some summer clothes for the day. I asked my driver about a medical shop, and he told me that its some miles away. People is the desert scarcely fall ill. Medicines shops are very few (given that I was staying near the market), compared to any big city! No pollution, blue sky, green grass (yeaa, I did see them in Jaisalmer) definitely has something to do with this. So, its good not to depend and carry your own medicines. When in desert camel safari, its good to keep a water bottle because dehydration happens even before you notice.

Desert Musicians

by herzog63

We stayed near these guys one night. I'm not sure if it was planned by our guides or not. We weren't asked for any money and they played some great music for us. Myabe out guides paid them?? The guy in the middle was amazing! He could play 2 flutes at the same time! One with his nose and the other with his mouth. The kid spent most of his time playing with the hot coals in the fire. He was picking them up with his bare hands and holding them. He didn't seem to get burned though.

Excellent meat dishes

by Willettsworld about Natraj Restaurant

I walked past this restaurant and saw a sign saying "Roast Lamb" and listing other western meat dishes. Being English, I thought I was seeing a mirage as finding anywhere in India selling roast anything is a bit rare and so after 2 months in India I had to sample it. The roast lamb was wonderful, just like you get back home and came with fresh potatoes and vegetables! I ordered hot apple pie and ice cream for dessert. It was so good that I came back again and had roast chicken and a hot fudge nut sundae expecting it to come in a tall glass but it arrived on a small saucer and didn't look all that much. I said to the manager that a sundae should be in a tall glass and he said if I wanted a banana split instead to which I replied that I did. It came in a tall glass! Doh! Oh well. It wasn't that good as it had pure strawberry jam in the bottom which was far to sweet and sickly too eat but this place is brilliant!

Haveli - The old sandstone homes

by jmackey

Haveli are wonderful old sandstone homes. Dating back to the period when Jaiselmere was an independent state. Their residents were often ambassadors and ministers. Today many of the homes are protected by the government who pays the people living them a fee for maintaining them and for allowing tours through.

Comments