Jaisalmer Hotels

• AndreSTGT profile photo AndreSTGT
  • Reviews: 758

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Simla Hotel: Sleeping on the roof

This guesthouse in the old fort has ridiculously overpriced rooms, but that doesn't really matter as they let you sleep on the roof. Apart from the fact that it's dirt cheap (30Rs), it's also a lot of fun.

Uniquely bad is the food, but the views from the roof are outstanding.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 23, 2005

Sunrise - View from the rooftop

• aqazi profile photo aqazi
  • Reviews: 311

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Desert Boys Guesthouse: What a view

We stayed in the best room in this guesthouse for around 850 rupees. The view was wonderful and the staff were great. I think the place is run by Pradeep. Obviously they do desert tours which I really enjoyed though my partner found two days too much for her and couldn't wait till we returned. The guys here have really thought hard about what backpackers want and try to offer a better service than their competitors. A great differentiation strategy in a market place full of identical suppliers (just finishing my MBA!). Well Done Guys!

Great view, good service, good value.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written July 15, 2004

• Reviews: 2254

The guy that owned it was named M.S.: Sleeping on the rooftop

After I moved out of the first hotel I moved into the hotel run by M.S. and his family. It is a great family run operation!! When I was inquiring about the cheapest rooms they told me that they had rooms with a view for 15 rupees (US$1.15 in 1985) rooms without view for 12 Rupees and some other variations but the cheapest was sleeping on the roof for 4 Rupees!! (US$.30 cents) Sounded nice and cheap to me!! I'll take a room on the roof!! They even put a bed up there for me. What a room! Sleeping under the stars...Wow!! I just loved it. When I woke up in the morning there was a Raven on my bed post! Wow that was interesting. I got up and ate my breakfast and packed up my stuff as I had to put my stuff away because other guests could come up here for the views if they wanted to. The next night I slept well and when I woke up in the morning there were 3-4 ravens right on my bed post at the bottom of the bed and about 5 or 6 others hanging around on the roof! Hmmmm ......They made me very nervous about sleeping up on the roof for a 3rd night. I was thinking they were going to eat my eyeballs while I was sleeping!! LOL Did want that so I got lucky and someone moved out that day. I had a regular room for my last night in Jaisalmer. The hotel was really awesome as the rooms were built right into the stone. If you like lot's of luxury you wouldn't like this but it made me feel like I was staying in a 500 year-old hotel!!

It was right on the edge of the Fortress. I think it's on the South-East side but I could be very wrong!! And I'm sure the prices I've quoted here are not current anymore either!!!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Desert, Backpacking
  • Written June 27, 2003

Jaisalmer

Great Thar Desert: Sleeping in the sand

On the trip that I did we slept in the desert each night. Lucky for me i was traveling with a sleeping bag. You wouldn't need a high quality bag as it wasn't freezing but it seemed like it was in the 50'sF. During the night we could hear either dogs from the villages or somesort of coyote....I don't really know but they howled most of the night. One of the fears that I had but lucky it never happened was waking up with a snake in my sleeping bag!! LOL I must've watched too many movies about the wild west when I was growing up! There are probably scorpions too!! Yikes I hadn't thought of that....
Just choose a dune and throw down your sleeping bag and hope the creepy crawlers don't want to visit you....

Unique qualities would be that the stars were so bright! It has to be one of the great places in the world to see the stars as there isn't any light polution in the area!!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Desert, Backpacking
  • Written June 27, 2003

Great Accomodations

I don't remember: Cool accomodations

The first Hotel that I stayed at was nice enough and cheap I think about US$1 per night and it was right inside the Fortress of Jaisalmer. But I had a small problem the camel trek that they were organising. I don't really remember now. I think I wanted to go on a 5 day trek but they only offered 3 day treks so I found another trekking company that did 5 days so I only stayed there for 2 nights and moved into the hotel run by the guy that offered me the 5 day trek.

• Related to: Backpacking, Trains, Budget Travel
  • Written June 26, 2003

Jaisalmer

• aukjejetty profile photo aukjejetty
  • Reviews: 443

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Swastika Guest House (Hotel Swastika): Lazy Owner

The guesthouse is very good, we changed to a room on the second floor which was perfect. There is also a rooftop where you can sit and have your breakfast in the morning.
The owner of this hotel is a lazy guy, his servant even has to get him a glass of water, while he is just getting more fat. He loves to talk and brag. The servant on the other hand was a great man. He works 365 days a year and has two blind sons (who will probably cost more than the average kid). He brought us our breakfast to the second floor in the morning which made me feel slightly uncomfortable, but he did it with such a smile, he must have enjoyed it. Maybe he was just glad he could talk to someone.

You can also book your cameltrek at this guesthouse.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average