Jaisalmer Hotels

Our Members Say

• Waxbag profile photo Waxbag
  • Reviews: 596

Hotel Samrat: Budget Accomodation and Camel Safaris

Samrat is a family owned guesthouse. It is a no-frills place but clean and comfortable. We stayed in a double for 80 rupees (the cheapest we paid anywhere in India). Doubles with self contained bathrooms costs 150 rupees (still a great deal)
Rooms come with a fan.
Roof-top restaurant
Organized camel safaris and jeep tours

Offers great camel safaris. See our travel logs.
10 Day Camel Safari

• Related to: Safari, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 21, 2005

Camel Shadows our Camel Safari

• abi_maha profile photo abi_maha
  • Reviews: 581

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Milan: Cheap & basic

As we were booking in the last minute all RTDC hoyels were sold out! So we settled for what we got, this hotel is a new property, offers clean basic rooms, no restaurant or any other features

Grest view of the sunset point from the terrace and balcony

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 9, 2009
Tip Photo

Manager helping AJ with day's itinerary

I don't remember: Cool accomodations

The first Hotel that I stayed at was nice enough and cheap I think about US$1 per night and it was right inside the Fortress of Jaisalmer. But I had a small problem the camel trek that they were organising. I don't really remember now. I think I wanted to go on a 5 day trek but they only offered 3 day treks so I found another trekking company that did 5 days so I only stayed there for 2 nights and moved into the hotel run by the guy that offered me the 5 day trek.

• Related to: Trains, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written June 26, 2003

Jaisalmer

Great Thar Desert: Sleeping in the sand

On the trip that I did we slept in the desert each night. Lucky for me i was traveling with a sleeping bag. You wouldn't need a high quality bag as it wasn't freezing but it seemed like it was in the 50'sF. During the night we could hear either dogs from the villages or somesort of coyote....I don't really know but they howled most of the night. One of the fears that I had but lucky it never happened was waking up with a snake in my sleeping bag!! LOL I must've watched too many movies about the wild west when I was growing up! There are probably scorpions too!! Yikes I hadn't thought of that....
Just choose a dune and throw down your sleeping bag and hope the creepy crawlers don't want to visit you....

Unique qualities would be that the stars were so bright! It has to be one of the great places in the world to see the stars as there isn't any light polution in the area!!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Desert
  • Written June 27, 2003

Great Accomodations

• Reviews: 2254

The guy that owned it was named M.S.: Sleeping on the rooftop

After I moved out of the first hotel I moved into the hotel run by M.S. and his family. It is a great family run operation!! When I was inquiring about the cheapest rooms they told me that they had rooms with a view for 15 rupees (US$1.15 in 1985) rooms without view for 12 Rupees and some other variations but the cheapest was sleeping on the roof for 4 Rupees!! (US$.30 cents) Sounded nice and cheap to me!! I'll take a room on the roof!! They even put a bed up there for me. What a room! Sleeping under the stars...Wow!! I just loved it. When I woke up in the morning there was a Raven on my bed post! Wow that was interesting. I got up and ate my breakfast and packed up my stuff as I had to put my stuff away because other guests could come up here for the views if they wanted to. The next night I slept well and when I woke up in the morning there were 3-4 ravens right on my bed post at the bottom of the bed and about 5 or 6 others hanging around on the roof! Hmmmm ......They made me very nervous about sleeping up on the roof for a 3rd night. I was thinking they were going to eat my eyeballs while I was sleeping!! LOL Did want that so I got lucky and someone moved out that day. I had a regular room for my last night in Jaisalmer. The hotel was really awesome as the rooms were built right into the stone. If you like lot's of luxury you wouldn't like this but it made me feel like I was staying in a 500 year-old hotel!!

It was right on the edge of the Fortress. I think it's on the South-East side but I could be very wrong!! And I'm sure the prices I've quoted here are not current anymore either!!!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Desert, Backpacking
  • Written June 27, 2003

Jaisalmer

• aukjejetty profile photo aukjejetty
  • Reviews: 443

Swastika Guest House (Hotel Swastika): Lazy Owner

The guesthouse is very good, we changed to a room on the second floor which was perfect. There is also a rooftop where you can sit and have your breakfast in the morning.
The owner of this hotel is a lazy guy, his servant even has to get him a glass of water, while he is just getting more fat. He loves to talk and brag. The servant on the other hand was a great man. He works 365 days a year and has two blind sons (who will probably cost more than the average kid). He brought us our breakfast to the second floor in the morning which made me feel slightly uncomfortable, but he did it with such a smile, he must have enjoyed it. Maybe he was just glad he could talk to someone.

You can also book your cameltrek at this guesthouse.

• Related to: Backpacking, Desert, Budget Travel
  • Written April 17, 2003

• AKHTARSAYYAD profile photo AKHTARSAYYAD
  • Reviews: 52

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Niraj.: Good hotel in Jaisalmer...

I reside here for 2 months and more .

very nice services ...
lovely people of the hotel..
U can see the Fort from its Gallary ...
full view of the fort.

• Related to: Festivals, Historical Travel, Castles and Palaces
  • Written January 22, 2009
Tip Photo

• toonhut profile photo toonhut
  • Reviews: 143

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Swastika: Bingo for Backpackers!

I arrived at 5.30 am and had trouble waking the big man inside to let me in, so better book in advance. Although after that it was exactly what I wanted!

A private clean little room with bath and three tiny windows, all for $4.30 or Rs200 per night!! You just can't beat that. An air conditioned room is Rs700. The big man who runs the place was helpful in my little requests and did not push for any tours at all. The room does not have a TV or much else, but that's not what most backpackers want from a room anyway.

If you choose an overnight camp at the desert then the guy was nice enough to not charge for that day's room. Even their tour package was the most competitive, but that's another post.

No wonder it's so recommended by Lonely Planet too.

Can't beat the price!

• Related to: Desert, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 4, 2010

Staying inside the fort: Romantic

I stayed my first night in Jaisalmer outside the fort and then went on a camel trek for a couple of days but wanted to stay within the fort when I returned. So, no sooner had I unpacked, I went around the fort and started looking at potential places to stay as staying within the fort is really romantic and basically has to be done as, well, Jaisalmer IS the fort! I looked at rooms in about 7 or 8 haveli's and the first one (which unfortunately I can't remember the name of) was the best of the lot with stone pillars, balconies and beautiful decorations. The owner said that the British High Commissioner in Delhi had just spent New Year there (a couple of days before) and that the Australian High Commissioner was coming soon! I then went to a few more - Hotel Dessert had a good room for Rs500 but this was the best whilst the others weren't brilliant. The Hotel Bright had only been open for 25 days when I looked round and so was very clean and new and had nice rooms for Rs400 but they lacked character such as the oldness of old haveli's with nocks and crannies, floor seats, balconies etc. I decided to splash out for a really nice room at the Desert Boys Guest House (see next tip).

Tip Photo

View over the fort from the royal palace

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

Unknown: Good Hotel With a View Across the City

I'm sorry, but I can't recall any information about this hotel other than it was comfortable, clean, and had the great view shown here. I lost my contact information with my agent in Delhi. However, there are several good hotels in Jaisalmer, and if you can figure it out, this one would be a good choice.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Arts and Culture, Historical Travel
  • Written May 12, 2007

View of Jaisalmer Citadel From Our Hotel

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

Inside Jawahar Mahal: Citadel Palace Hotel

Inside the fortress citadel itself is a hotel made from a part of the Jawahar Mahal building. I tried to find more information on this hotel in a brief internet search, but I found that the Jawahar Nihwas Hotel, on the edge of town near Bada Bagh, likes to confuse itself with this place. One advantage of staying here is easy access to the citadel itself, and the romatic aspect of actually staying in the building once occupied by the Bhatti ruler, but then there are plenty of havelis, restaurants, and other activities outside the citadel too. I took these photos to provide an idea about the hotel, but make no recommendation either way. One disadvantage claimed by an Indian travel website is that the hotel overly impacts the fragile sewer system of the citadel. Assuming that the hotel didn't completely create it's own drain pipe leading down the hill, which would probably be a major engineering feat, this notion makes some sense. The neighborhoods at the top of the citadel do share a tenuous system of water supply and sewage drainage. We saw some open and leaky sewers in the neighborhoods there.

• Related to: Architecture, Eco-Tourism, Castles and Palaces
  • Written May 14, 2007

Hotel Inside the Citadel

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Henna: One to avoid

As I was travelling on the train to Jaisalmer from Jodhpur, a young chap came along and presented me with a card for this hotel and did the same to a few other tourists I got talking to in my compartment. He spoke about how cheap it was a the offer of free transport to it from the station. I wanted to stay inside the fort but thought that I would spend the night outside before taking a camel trek and then stay inside the fort after the trek. I decided to give him a try and so did the other tourists I was with. We all got into a new black 4x4 which was waiting at the station upon our arrival. We got to the hotel and I was shown a large clean room with bathroom with hot water in the morning for just Rs150. I thought I'd stick it out and save some money so I could stay in a nice place in the fort. There's a small restaurant on the roof with a great view of the fort. Service is slow but the food is OK and there's plenty of choice. They, of course, do camel treks here. I enquired for a 2-day trek and the guy first quoted me a price of Rs3200 but I got him down to Rs2200 and this also included a free nights stay afterwards. A girl who was also staying at the hotel, and who I went on the trek with, got hers for Rs2000. See my tips about the trek. Reading other reviews of this place on the net, it looks as though I paid way too much. Don't pay more than Rs1200 for a 2 day trek. This place has been mentioned for its hard camel trek sells or you're out the door. My trek was very good and I enjoyed it which was the main thing even though I probably paid too much!

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Desert Boys Guest House: Great option inside fort

I moved here after my 2-day camel trek as I was staying outside of the fort and wanted to stay inside the fort as it's more romantic. My room (Rs900) was wonderful with two main areas. The first was a living area with floor seats and lots of cushions, a low table and some ornamental pots etc. The other area was curtained off from the living area and was raised a couple of feet off the ground. This was the sleeping quarters and featured a large thick mattress on the floor and more cushions! Everything was clean including the bathroom which came with a morning and evening hot water shower. The Guest House is very communal as there's plenty of seating outside to get to chat with people whilst looking at the town below. They have a good restaurant here which serves breakfast and have very friendly staff (I think the owners from Oz). Great place which is a very good option within the fort.

• Written November 25, 2007

• WaRPer profile photo WaRPer
  • Reviews: 249

Hotel Bright: The new hotel inside Jaisalmer Fort

The hotel just gone thru a major renovation in 2006 so all the rooms are newly painted, tiled floor and equipted with quite-modern facilities. We've got a nice spacious double room for just 200 Rupees (off season) with a clean attached shower + toilet. The location is great, at the north end of the fort within a walking distance to everything. Its rooftop is the highest comparing to other GH around and the view is great. The hotel is safe, only 6-7 rooms and the owner is very honest and helpful.

• Related to: Singles, Women's Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written April 1, 2008

Hotel Bright

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Camel Trek: Tent accommodation

As our guide prepared our dinner, we set up the tent on the sand dunes for our overnight stay. It's quite hard to find a level bit in the sand so as to not sleep with your head higher than your feet (or vice versa!). I haven't camped for donkeys years (or should that be camels years!) ever since I was in the scouts so it was quite nice to do it again after all these years especially as it didn't rain like it normally does when you're camping back home.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful