Meera Mahal

Agoda.com Tingo.com Venere.com

More about Jaisalmer

Wood Fossil ParkWood Fossil Park

Sand DunesSand Dunes

Me having 'the fun'Me having 'the fun'

Inside the restaurantInside the restaurant

Travel Tips for Jaisalmer

Shikarbadi Hotel 2583200
Anand Bhawan 2523018

What to take to Jaisalmer

by lynnehamman

A SMALL BACK-PACK FOR DAY TRIP INTO THE DESERT A SPORTS BRA!!!!! If you go into the desert and ride a camel- believe me, its an essential item to wear.
A JACKET- THE DESERT IS COLD AT NIGHT SUNSCREEN
EXTRA WATER

Lodurva

by Willettsworld

Next stop after Bada Bagh was Lodurva which was the ancient capital of the Bhattis Rajputs. It was once a flourishing city but lost most of its splendour when the Bhattis shifted their capital to Jaisalmer in the 12th century. The city is much older than Jaisalmer and was sacked several times, most notably by Mahmud of Ghazni in the 11th century when he was en route to Somnath, and then by Mohammad Ghori in the next century. The latter invasion persuaded Jaisal to abandon Lodurva, and he shifted his capital to Jaisalmer, making Bhoj the last ruler of Lodurva.

There's not much to see in the area today except for a couple of temples in which the Parshvanath Temple is the most notable. The Parshvanath Temple is the main Jain temple which predates the temples of Jaisalmer just as the town itself is more ancient. The temple was destroyed in 1152, but was reconstructed in 1615 by Seth Tharu Shah and further additions were commissioned in 1675 and 1687. Its Torana Dwar or main archway is probably the most ornate of its kind in Rajasthan and interestingly, the sentry outside (an elderly guy who you pay and who watches over your shoes) is a Rajput and not a Jain. The inner sanctum of the temple contains an image of the prophet Parshvanath (the 23rd Jain Tirthankar) in black stone with a multi-hooded serpent canopy. The whole complex was renovated in the 1970's and the temples are gleamingly clean and fresh which really shows off their beautiful golden sandstone carvings. More photo's can be found in one of my travelogues.

Camera: Rs50.

Little Tibet

by Carino about Little Tibet

Little Tibet was just around the corner of our hotel. So we gave it a try. We first waited for about 10 minutes, unnoticed. The waiter was just too busy to install his new CD/DVD Player. He finally managed to bring us the menu and we had to write down our orders by ourselves. We went for Cheese Spinach Mushroom Gyatuk (55 Rp) and Vegetables Chicken Gyatuk (60 Rp). Both were actually quite tasty, until I found a bug in my food. You can imagine that my appetite was gone after that.

Also avoid the Sweet Lassi (25 Rp). It was warm and not good at all. Coke and Water come at 15 Rp.

The Fortress

by herzog63

When I first laid my eyes upon the fortress of Jaisalmer I felt like I had stepped into a Fairy Tale or a book about the Arabian Nights!! I was smiling to myself as I could see the fortress rising up out of the desert as our train neared. I was thinking to myself what a peaceful place to spend some time. Well the peacefullness all changed when the train came to a stop! The touts were out in Full Force! "Hello!! Come stay at my hotel" "Hello sir come with me" etc..... Then one guy with a friendly face approached me and asked if I had chosen a hotel yet. He seemed good and he had a cheap place to stay within the walls of the Fortress so I hoped in his jeep with 6 or 7 other travelers and off we went.

Comments