3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Near Circuit House, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, 342006, India

Booking.com Agoda.com Hotels.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Orchid's Profile Photo

The mad Maharajah welcome you home

When we enjoyed the delights of the Ajit Bhawan hotel over 20 years ago, it was a more basic place than the now luxurious establishment now seen on its website. Nevertheless it was a delightful escape from the bustle of India, a peaceful garden oasis, with small bungalows, with touches of the Rajput era in antiques and furnishings, set throughout. Meals served in the central courtyard were tasty and atmospheric, lit by candlelight.
    Our host was styled himself the Maharaj Swaroop Singh, and delighted in personally attending to the needs of his guests. The water for our showers was provided by a wood heated boiler, which was somewhat unreliable. No doubt things have changed.

Unique Quality: The personal attention. Fine food and some of the best breakfasts we had in India. The chance to go on the famous 'village tour' led by Swaroop Singh himself, in the open topped jeep.

And best of all, sitting in the garden at dusk, and hearing veritable swarms of swallows returning to the trees to roost. Such a commotion!

Directions: About 3km from the Railway station, and across some waste ground from the Umaid Bhawan Palace Hotel.

• ghajela's Profile Photo

A beautiful Stone Building

It actually happened by an accident that we manage to stay here. It is a fantastic heritage building now made into a Heritage Hotel. This is also supposed to be one of the oldest Heritage Hotel around. We stayed in that old "original" room and it was indeed a pleasure to be there. A lot of greenary, clean swimming pool and nice ambience made it all into a nice stay.

Unique Quality: Old stone heritage building
    Classical Vintage car collection
    Very interesting swimming pool
    Nice garden

• irishluck18's Profile Photo

Sweet Hotel Grounds, Bars & Restaurants!

I did NOT stay here but wish i had. I found this hotel on the internet and thought about staying but chose Umaid Bhawan Palace instead (very cool heritage hotel, but pricey).

I gound this place on a walk one day around noon. I was curious how much it looked like the images on the webpage... It was better than expected.

There's a really cool bar inside a cave-like structure and a great Indian Tikka restaurant on the roof. I didn't stay late enough for the disco that's the hot spot on Thurs, Fri & Sat.

Unique Quality: Awesome pool!
    Great bars and restaurants!

More about Ajit Bhawan

Totally Excellent Digs.

by Hmmmm about Ajit Bhawan Hotel - Jodphur

This hotel rocks - this hotel is comfortable with period style suites that offer a homely atmosphere. Antiques from various periods and photographs from the family archives create an ambiance that suggests a private home rather than a hotel room. These suites have luxurious marble bathrooms. And Raj Style furniture. The Garden outside is Beautiful. And the Pool absolutely rocks. Its Large, clean and cool. With deck chairs, a beautiful garden full of Bougainvillea and a Victorian style Pool house that sells Hig Tea. So cool.

I have my own way to insure constant sanity. I usually slum it when I do hotels. Depending where we are and location. I like to spend less than $10 a night. But once or twice a week, I'll spend up to $80 on a nice place. For a treat. This Hotel is the place to do it. Oh the owner collects vintage cars. he has convertble Chevvy and an old Aston Martin. Facilities include: Travel Desk, Barber shop, Courier service, Front Desk, Free Newspaper, Parking, Bar, Banquet, Restaurant, Safe Deposit Box, Conference Facilities, Luggage Storage, Swimming Pool, Barbeque, Tennis Court, Health Club, Village Jeep Safari, Doctor on Call, Laundry, Travel Desk Service, Dry Cleaning, Post, Baby Sitting, Currency Exchange, Newsstand, Wake up Service, Collection of Vintage Cars available on hire

On The Rock

by RAJASTHANBYCAR about On The Rock

This Resturant belong to Ajit Bhawan, entrance on the main road cheerful garden restaurant with lovely landscaping, open and indoor in the evening set under the stars, whereas indoor is a bar also. Mutton Rogan Josh Rs130; Chicken Biryani Rs110 ; Soup Rs45 ; Mixed fried rice Rs120 ; Veg. fried rice Rs75 ; Navratan Korma Rs80

Don't miss!

by memmeke about Ajit Bhawan

Be sure to try their outdoor buffet. Quite excellent and reasonably priced. It is a very special place to eat and it's worth of it's price (600 p/p), including good service and dance and music show. It opens 19 o'clock and sometimes reservation should be necessary. The food "On the Rocks" restaurant is absolutely another quality, and the serving ( for example, you get everything what you ordered, in on time)! The best tomato soep and naan.

The Pool. Ajit bhawan Hotel. Pic: Aaron IrvingThe Pool. Ajit bhawan Hotel. Pic: Aaron Irving

Maharaja Ajit PoalMaharaja Ajit Poal

Chonja of Maharaja Ajit Singh JiChonja of Maharaja Ajit Singh Ji

the Cenotaph of Maharja Dhiraj Ajit Singhthe Cenotaph of Maharja Dhiraj Ajit Singh

not sure to go to Jodhpur?

by TGU-ORD

I am planning a very short visit to rajasthan, traveling from judaipur to udaipur. First time in India, going for 10 days. I paln to end my stay in udaipur. I am traveling from Pushkar to Udaipur.

My dillema is, Will it be worth it to go out of my way and stay a night at jodhpur, and then just stay a night in udaipur, or should I just skip jodhpur and spend 2 nights in udaipur.

How difficult is it to travel between each city. I am interested in visitng jodhpur, but I am concerned that I will miss out one of my 10 days spending 6 hours on the road.

RE: not sure to go to Jodhpur?

by HarryBush

You could take the plane. I think there are regular flights. The journey by road can be boring, but the landscape is stunning as you pass through a mountain range. There is more to see in Jodhpur than Udaipur, although the latter tends to get more visitors. I have just returned from a tour of Rajhastan. Be aware of a trend taking place whereby hotel staf open 'safe' deposit boxes and steal money from tourists. This happened to me at the Ajit Bhawan, a heritage hotel in Jodhpur.

RE: RE: not sure to go to Jodhpur?

by BluBluBlu

Having been to both cites...I'd spend more time in Udaipur!

RE: not sure to go to Jodhpur?

by zanzibarman

hi,
I have been udaipuri I used to study there for three year. Udaipuri is nice city and you can see alot of things , however some of my friend told me that if jodhpur is nice place too and it has alot of things to see.
zanzibarman