Jagat Retreat

CROSSING OVER A VIADUCT ABOVE RAILROADCROSSING OVER A VIADUCT ABOVE RAILROAD

Travel Tips for Udaipur

My Afternoon's Experience

by keeweechic

My last afternoon in Udaipur was at leisure and I was reluctant to spend it around a pool at my hotel. For some reason in Udaipur, I didn't think we really got around as much as we could have or maybe the City Palace took up so much of the tour. I spoke to the front desk about where to go to experience local shopping and how best to get there. They advise a auto rickshaw or taxi and City Palace Road. The rickshaw sounded good to me, more local and a better experience. The driver turned up after around 5 mins and we headed off.

Halfway down the road he wanted to take me to a local handcrafts store. I said I didn't have much time and wasn't so much interested in shopping as experience the atmosphere of local bazaars etc. Still he insisted it would help local life so I said, ok.. 5 mins. I presume they make some kind of commission by bringing visitors to these places so I obliged. There wasn't anything I wanted and spent my promised 5 mins before we left. I told him the hotel had suggested City Palace Road for shopping. Enroute we passed several areas where I thought would have been good to stop but persisted with the advice given. Unfortunately once there, this road was very much the upmarket shopping area for antiques etc. There were a few shops where I stopped and looked through, but this was not the atmosphere I was hoping for.

Monsoon Palace

by keeweechic

Sajjangarh is otherwise known as the Monsoon Palace sits on a hill 1100ft up and at the end of a 2 mile winding road. The palace was built by Maharana Sajjan Singh in 1884 and gives a great panoramic view of the city and it environs. The densely wooded hillside was used by former rulers for shooting.

Art and Statue Details at Ranakpur

by atufft

There are a wide number of statues of elephants and Tirthankers, the prophets of the Jain religion. Each is a worthy piece of art in its own respect. Some appear to express details of the history of the Jain religion or it's ceremonial calendar. During our visit there, we noticed a practice of celebrating the holidays of certain deities by decorating the image relief with foil or flowers.

Bagore-ki-Haveli

by Willettsworld

This large palace is located inbetween Gangaur Ghat and the City Palace by the lake. It was built between 1751 and 1778 by Amir Chand Badwa - the then prime minister of Mewar. It was taken over by the Mewar state and converted into a royal guest house. After independence in 1947, the Rajasthani government used it to house government servants before it fell into a dilapidated condition. The palace has 138 rooms, balconies, courtyards, terraces and a very interesting display of costumes and modern art in the museum. The chambers of the royal ladies are adorned with fresco paintings. There are two peacocks made from small pieces of coloured glass which are fine examples of glasswork.

Saheliyon-ki-Bari

by Bjorgvin

Saheliyon-ki-Bari (the 'Garden of the Maids of Honour'), Udaipur.
This small but beautiful garden is located on the lakeside of the Fateh Sagar Lake (the second major lake of Udaipur). It was a popular spot where royal ladies came for a stroll. The garden has many fountains, sculpted kiosks and marble elephants. Open from 9 AM to 6 PM daily.

Comments