Opp. Fateh Sagar Lake, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313004, India

Costs 70% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Grand Palace Laxmi Vilas Palace

Palace near bird sanctuary

by Justin_goa about LAXMI VILAS PALACE

Located near the world famous bird sanctuary amidst 40 acres of landscaped environs, the Palace was built in 1899, for the younger brother of the Maharaja of Bharatpur. The architecture is a blend of the Mughal and the Rajputana styles. You could also base yourself here for a visit to the Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikhri.

Fulfilling Family Destiny - Our visit to India

by pchamlis

"I Get It, Stevie"

One of my first friends on VT, when I joined some five years ago, was the lovely Torontan Stevie, who goes by the VT moniker Canadienne. Stevie LOVES India, and her pages are an excellent read. Her title for these writings is presently "the love affair continues", and I have to say after returning from India that "I get it, Stevie".

Sure, there are problems. There's rampant poverty, thousands and thousands of people just getting by. There are heartbreaking scenes on the streets as beggers wander in and out of traffic in search of a few rupees. And, just the staggering reality of supporting a population of over one billion souls taxes the most blessed of lands and society. Add to that the global evil of terrorism - there are increasing incidents of bombings and violence by the demented few trying to tear apart the fabric of the country.

All that being said, India is a country of spirit, of understanding and of a special love. When Indians refer to "Mother India", you really feel that they mean it in every way. They have a pride and attachment both to the present and the past, and they're proud of a future they see on the horizon. India may be a country with myriad problems, but no land could hold any more promise of great things in the coming decades.

My wife was asked "the" question by friends upon our return... and by "the" question, I mean "did you like it"? She answered in a way that sums up my feelings.... She said unequivocally YES, I loved it. And she said the funny part is that she couldn't specifically put her finger on the exact reasons why. It was just a combination of things, the entire bolt of cloth, so to speak. The spirit, the excitement, the color, the love. It's all there. And of course, the people of India - they're her best ambassadors, and they leave individual lasting impressions with each encounter.

I get it, Stevie. The love affair continues indeed. I'm sure we'll someday return to India.

"Havelis make us happy"

One thing I learned in doing research prior to our Indian trip was the word "haveli". Basically, these are old palaces and estates that have been converted to hotels. They are, at their best, an Indian version of those German/Austrian "Schosshotels".

They're also referred to as Indian heritage hotels, and the decor can be incredible. Check out the photo below. I believe there is some connection or annointation of these properties by the Indian government tourist authority.

However and as you might guess with each haveli being privately owned, standards CAN vary. So, do your research before making your choices. Chosen carefully and with prethought, staying in havelis can really add a special Indian spice to your lodging and visit.

We stayed at three haveli properties, and all were terrific. They were all different in their own ways, and that made each one a new adventure. But if you visit Sawai Madhopur, Jaipur or Bharatpur, I'd suggest that you consider staying at THESE establishments:

Sawai Madhopur THE NAHARGARH RANTHAMBHORE
Bharatpur THE LAXMI VILAS PALACE
Jaipur THE ALSISAR HAVELI

(Please see my specific tips for each on the city pages)

"Life Flows on "Within You and Without You""

Ever since I first heard the haunting refrain of the George Harrison/Beatles tune "Within You Without You" on the 1967 Sargent Pepper's release, I've always known in my heart that I would visit India. The dream finally came true in October of 2008. Additionally, my wife shared a similar vision about visiting India...maybe on our third date...that she had always longed to see the Taj Mahal. Clearly, visiting the subcontinent has been our family's destiny.

So, to set the mood, let's just print the lyrics to Within You Without You, as I light another stick of Nag Champa incense. Life, like the holy Ganges River meandering past Hindu temples and somber ghats, really does flow "within you and without you".

==============================================

Within You Without You, lyrics and music by George Harrison

We were talking-about the space between us all
And the people-who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
Never glimpse the truth-then it's far too late-
when they pass away.

We were talking-about
the love we all could share-when we find it
To try our best to hold it there-with our love
With our love-we could save the world-if they only knew.
Try to realise it's all within yourself
No-one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small, and
...life flows on within you and without you.

We were talking-about the love that's
gone so cold
And the people, who gain the world and lose their soul-
They don't know-they can't see-are you one of them?
When you've seen beyond yourself-
then you may find, peace of mind, Is waiting there-
And the time will come when you see we're all one, and
...life flows on within you and without you.

Advice on Rajasthan hotels

by ateach52

Has anyone stayed at the following hotels? What did you think of them?

1) Seventh Heaven in Pushkar
2) Laxmi Vilas Palace in Bharatpur
3) Samode Haveli in Jaipur

Any other recommendation otherwise in these places of places you particularly liked? What about Udaipur? Does anyone have any recommendations there? Woudl like to find a place with real charm, mid-range. Thanks a million for any advice!

RE: Advice on Rajasthan hotels

by ronigo

Hi
we stayed in seventh heaven last oct-it is good guest house but not so clean.
i'll recommend you to stay in "jas vilas"-jaipur, great people and very good small hotel-like a luxary home.
send hello to mr mahendra -the owner, from roni{israel)

Comments