Haridasji Ki Magri, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313001, India

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• No 1 not No 3

Voted no 3 hotel in the world I thought it fantastic

Unique Quality: Setting, grounds, attention to detail, food, service were all excellent. Stayed 3 nights and wished I'd stayed longer. It is truly amazing

Directions: Other side of Lake Pichola to City Palace

• Excellent views

Ideally located on the opposite bank of the lake to the the City Palace its a short drive or boat ride to the centre of Udaipur. After the hustle and bustle of other cities that we visited on our stay in India this hotel offered some welcomed peace, space and tranquillity at the end of our holiday. The hotel and grounds are immaculate and extremely spacious, it has its own wildlife area, and outdoor dining restaurant which was very popular when we were there in February. The staff are attentive and helpful.

Unique Quality: The setting is fanstastic alongside Lake Pichola with uninterrupted views of Lake Palace and City Palace. Its a peaceful, spacious location that offers a truly romantic setting. Around every corner there is another fanstastic vista and every attention is made to the beautiful detail.

Service was impeccable and every effort is made to ensure your stay is first class. Its independently rated the 3rd best hotel in the world and you can see why.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Udai Villas

Udai Villas is a new luxury Resort and Spa, part of the Oberoi chain of hotels. The hotel is located on the banks of Lake Pichola. The resort is spread over 30 acres of landscaped gardens and courtyards and was designed as a Mewari palace. The Spa part of the hotel offers holistic non-clinical treatments ranging from ancient Ayurveda to aromatherapy. Next to the resort is a 20-acre wildlife conservatory which houses Indian spotted deer, wild boar and peacocks.

The hotel has two restaurants, the Surya Mahal (continental and Asian cuisines) and the Udai Mahal (Indian cuisine). There is a bar which has views of the City Palace and Lake Pichola as well as Poolside service for snacks and drinks.

Directions: 40 minute-drive from Udaipur's Dabok airport.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

The most beautiful hotel in India

I've stayed in an awful lot of nice hotels in my travels, and I can say with confidence that Udaivilas is in the top three out of the whole list. It was absolutely spectacular (with prices to match, of course--but if the company is paying, who am I to refuse?) The hotel, built in the style of a Mewar palace, opened in the fall of 2002. The service is near-perfect, with a staff-to-customer ratio that seems to be about two to one. The rooms are so lovely that I was moved to take photos of mine--even the bathroom! The hotel has a fabulous spa, its own wildlife park, two main swimming pools, one private pool for the higher-priced rooms, and private pools for each of the palatial suites--just in case you need two bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a private sauna.

Unique Quality: Udaivilas is one of four super-deluxe properties owned by the Oberoi group of hotels (the others are in Jaipur, Agra, and Ranthambore). There is no way the company is ever going to recoup the massive investments they made on this complex, but they seem content to have it as an image-builder. It worked for me.

• travelmadeeasy's Profile Photo

Oberoi's New Wonder

Set against the dramatic backdrop of the Aravalli ranges and steeped in the romance of the historic region of Mewar, Udaivilas, The Oberoi Group's newest luxury resort, is situated on the banks of Lake Pichola in Udaipur, India.

In this tranquil, salubrious setting, Udaivilas has been conceived as a splendid palace, wonderfully recreating the romance of the past, representing the continuity of the grand traditions of Mewar and yet completely in keeping with the 21st century. The resort is spread over an expanse of 30 acres, and its carefully planned and executed design has evolved as a seamless assimilation of spaces resembling the old palaces. Courtyards and walkways, gently rippling water bodies fountains and reflecting pools, and exquisitely landscaped gardens, sculptures and frescoes, arches and domes, niches and alcoves - the building lends itself to discovery and continual surprise. Embellished by beautiful works of art and craft from in and around the region, Udaivilas is a vast canvas with an almost lambent quality, changing with the light and seasons and possessed of a sense of timelessness.

Unique Quality: Recreation
    The Oberoi Spa, managed by Banyan Tree, one of Asia's best-regarded spa management companies, is a special feature of the resort. Guests can avail of a range of non-clinical rejuvenating and pampering treatments that include Ayurveda and aromatherapy, in restful private therapy suites that overlook the lake.
    Other recreational facilities include two-heated swimming pools, one of which overlooks the Lake Pichola. A modern gymnasium offers range of exercise equipment from treadmills to and free weights. A selection of books, music and videodiscs is available.
    Outdoor activities range from rides on traditional wooden boats to sightseeing tours to Udaipur's intriguing palaces. Excursions can be arranged with sumptuous picnics hampers and al fresco dining in charming settings.

Directions: Rajasthan, India

More about The Oberoi Udaivilas Udaipur

Udaivilas room

by travelmad478

For those who want to see what you get for $250 a night in India, here's a small sample. I haven't included my photo of the bathroom, which was almost as palatial as the bedroom, but you can imagine what a bathroom with its own picture window and private terrace would be like.

Will be back SOON!!

by TripAdvisor Member Mulla

I went for 14 days touring India celebrating my wedding anniversary all staying in Oberoi's Vilas properties.

The Udaivilas was one of them. I arrived by air to Udaipur via Jet Airways "nice in-flight meal!!" from Jaipur, in the airport there were two people from the Oberoi Udaivilas welcoming us, we went to the car offered some cold towels and drinks and drive to the hotel with some classical Indian music in the way. It took approx 30 mins to arrive to the lake Pichola we than embarked into boat that took us to the Udaivilas on the way we saw the Lake Palace and another one I forgot its name!!

We were welcomed by the name at the hotel. The marble pond in the entrance was a so purely white!! On the reception we completed a form and were shown our room.

Our room was standard. I feel sorry for that name for in which it was well above any standard room definition, it was a mini suite. It had it own sitting area on the pool, a lavish bathroom, a little sitting area and a cozy bed. The furniture contemporary Indian and was fairly new. The bathroom had a Victorian bathtub and a separate shower stall with good water pressure.

We had a couple of dinners in all the Udaivilas’s restaurants there and unlike one reviewer said I had a fabulous experience. The service was fast and efficient with genuine smiles and the food was to die for. The portions were good but was fairly expensive but worth every penny. A starter would cost US$ 10 and a main would cost from US$ 15.

My wife tried the Banyan Tree SPA twice, a one hour session would cost approx US$ 50, to me was a bargain. She had her treatment in a SPA suite.

The hotel knew that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and sent some flowers to our room, in addition to that they set some candles in the bath room twice and filled the Victorian bathtub with rose petals.

The setting of the hotel was nice with landscape gardens and nice pools and fountains. The Oberoi Udaivilas truly stands to its "Luxury redefined" motto.

Heavenly Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member mhc754

We stayed at the Udaivilas for 3 nights in 12/05 during a 3 week trip through India. This is by far the best hotel we stayed on our trip, and we stayed in some nice hotels including the Imperial at Delhi, the Taj Mahal in Mumbai and Umaid Bhawan in Jodhpur (terrible experience). In fact, the Udaivilas is worth visiting by itself.

Our entire stay was lovely with nothing to complain about. The service is impeccable. We picked the least expensive room, but still had our private terrace that overlooked and led down to the pool. We had breakfasts there. Very peaceful. The bathroom had a soaking tub that looked out to a small, private courtyard. There were windowed seats in the room for lounging. Overall, we were pleased with the size and the furnishings of the room.

We had most of our meals at the hotel, and the food was excellent. Interestingly, we met the chef at Umaid Bhawan who told us that he worked at Udaivilas prior to Umaid. He said Udaivilas is the best hotel in India and he missed working there.

One last note--upon checking out, we noted to the hotel that their broadband was a little slow at times. Shortly after we returned from our trip, we received a personal handwritten note from the hotel manager stating that they'd upgraded their system and would love to have us visit again soon. This is what all 5 star hotel should be like.

Amazing

The Udaivilas is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. This place has the details down pat. The rooms are immaculate, spacious, and beautifully decorated. The grounds are well-maintained, lush, and relaxing. Service was impeccable.

The only caveat as to the actual facility is that I found the main pool (or at least what I understood to be the main pool) to be a bit small. Apparently, there is another pool that I did not get the chance to see.

For the record, my opinion is based on only one night's stay. I wish we had had the time and money to stay longer. (It's not cheap!)

Know anything about Udaivilas in Udaipur?

by fotobug33

Has anyone stayed at or know anything about Udaivilas in Udaipur? If so, what is your impression... what else is near hotel for sight seeing? Thanks!

Fotobug33 (erika)

RE: Know anything about Udaivilas in Udaipur?

by travelmad478

This is the most incredible hotel I've ever stayed at (and I have stayed at a lot of five-stars). See my Udaipur page for more details. If you're lucky enough to get a reasonable rate there, jump on it!

The hotel is across the lake from the main part of Udaipur, but it's very easy to get a taxi to take you into town.

RE: Know anything about Udaivilas in Udaipur?

by YATIN

Dear Erika,
Uday Villas is managed by Oberoi group of Hotels.

They are professionals with excellent service record.Udaivilas and Raj vilas are Two good property they have In North.( Udaipur & Jaipur)

Yatin

RE: RE: Know anything about Udaivilas in Udaipur?

by fotobug33

Thank you Yatin! the photos on that website are gorgeous!!!

e.