Fisherman's Cove Chennai

Covelong Beach, Kanchipuram District, Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu, 603112, India

Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove, Chennai
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• hazagogo's Profile Photo

Stay here if you can afford it!

Unique Quality: Great place to stay, fantastic swim up bar where you can get pretty much anything you would want!

Beach is great too and very clean, make sure you go and eat on the beach too - great setting.

Staff here are fantastic and will fall over themselves to help you. They have something called T & J whereby all members of staff record every comment/suggestion/preference you have and at the end of each day all these comments go on a database which is reviewed by staff. By the beginning of day two all staff in their restuarant knew to bring me tea for breakfast, but to not make it for me as I am fussy and like to make it myself as I like it weak!

Directions: Out of Chennai town

• Hind_S's Profile Photo

Taj Beach Resort

Fisherman's Cove is a Taj Resort. I stayed there for 2 nights in one of the luxury villas. The hotel has regular rooms in the main building and 88 cottages and villas. The cottages, from the outside, seemed a bit smaller than the villas, and didn't offer as much privacy.

Our villa was in a more secluded section of the hotel grounds, on a quieter patch of the beach. We shared a large front lawn with one other villa, and had our own huge hammock, 2 rocking chairs, a lawn chair and a wonderful view of the ocean. The room was quite spacious with a high pitched ceiling that gave it a really airy feel. It had a large bathroom with both a shower and a tub, a sitting area, desk.. mini bar.. all the usual.

We ordered chinese from room service the first night and had it on the front porch. It took a while for the food to get there, but other than the bok choy it was quite good.

We spent the second day at the pool.. literally about 7 hours I think. The pool's great. Its big and has a sunken bar with really great snacks and drinks. This was a holiday weekend, so the hotel was at full capacity. But even though there were a lot of people at the pool it didn't feel crowded. Kids were in a semi-separate area so there wasn't a lot of noise and splashing in the rest.

The hotel has 3 restaurants plus the pool bar. A coffee shop, a mediterranean restaurant, and Bay-View Point, a seafood grill on the beach. I tried all but the mediterannean. Bay-View point was quite good. We had the mixed seafood platter South Indian style, and a traditional south indian fish curry, both very good. Breakfast buffet at the coffee shop was quite big but the food was so-so.. Eggs took forever and everything else tasted sort of blah.

There was an extensive list of activities arranged by the hotel posted in the lobby. Looked like there was some interesting stuff to do.. fishing, yoga, stuff for kids.. Its worth checking out.

I had a massage at the spa on the last day which was alright. The spa facilities were a bit outdated.

Unique Quality: The pool was the greatest feature of this hotel
    The beach was very clean

Tip: We called the hotel directly to book a room, which they said were all sold out. We later found one without a problem on expedia.

Directions: About an hour drive from the airport

More about Fisherman's Cove Chennai

Not the value for the money

by TripAdvisor Member NorCalBiker

I spent the weekend while on work trip to Chennai. The property definitely needs a refresh, as already noted. However, the biggest disappointment was in the food and service. I had a massage, which was substandard and rushed and expensive.
Except fot the grilled fish the dinner was non-descript and the mixed drink was undrinkable. Both had US-level prices.
The large numbers of familes with children meant the pool wasn't a very good place to relax. As a surfer, I usually spend my time in the ocean if its available. I was told the water is clean. After spending a good hour body surfing, I got back on shore to discover that I had to walk carefully to avoid stepping in piles of fresh human excrement. I wonder how much e-coli I took in in hour.

Luxury but a bit tired

by TripAdvisor Member AAA Trip Advisor Member

I stayed at Fisherman's Cove for a business trip and it is certainly a very pleasant experience.

In fairness it is more of a resort hotel than a business stop off. The hotel itself is fairly luxurious but a bit faded and in need of a bit of a facelift. The setting is lovely as it is on the beach and the beach itself is long and fairly empty.

I personally found the bed too soft but others may be happy with that. The walk in shower was lovely and very welcoming after a long day in the office.

Restaurants were excellent. The choice and quality of food was very good.

It is a reasonable distance from the business areas and if you are staying more than a couple of days a more central hotel might be a better bet but I think getting up in the morning and going for a stroll along a deserted beach is worth the travel time.

Loved this Resort - although definitely a splurge!

by TripAdvisor Member suttercreek

We stayed at this hotel for a 3 day R&R after a nearly 2 day journey from California to Chennai. We thought we would need the sun, relaxation, beach, etc. to recover from our jet-lag - which turned out to be cured almost immediately. Definitely splurge for the private beach cottages. It is superbly private and romantic. Beautiful beach views. Very attentive staff. Highlight of our visit here was the evening the head at the beach-front restaurant set up our "table for 2" on the beach...as a surprise for my husband and me. I continue to be astonished at just how nice people can be anywhere in the world. It was very hot when we were there so there weren't many day-time activities to take advantage of. The pool was great and relaxing. We did not use the Spa. Be careful of the Tandoor chicken in the South. It can be VERY hot! The Taj was not cheap, but we felt it was worth the splurge...the only one on our 2 week trip through Tamil Nadu.

Disappointing and deteriorating

by TripAdvisor Member Traveleasy

This was my third visit in three years and each one gets progressively worse. The resort is resting on its laurels from the past and the lack of competition. I stayed in the cottages (C-2) for over $300 per night before taxes and the room had the same tired furniture, worn out bathroom fixtures. The open air shower floor is not swept often enough and had grime on the shower body. The room is not much better with just one socket for for powering cell phones, laptops etc and that too was worn out and I had to prop up the power cord to ensure it did not fall out. There are plenty of bugs with management doing nothing to fit in electric bug "fryers". It is also outrageous that they charge Rupees 150 (nearly $4) per AT&T call - a call which is meant to bypass their system.

Service standards are good but not exceptional. For instance, room service and laundry personnel basically keep jamming the door bell till you open when you are inside instead of waiting after pressing it. The restaurant is not much better - same tired look to it with nothing distinctive in keeping with the beach setting. Food is good, particularly the full breakfast.

Comments