Quality Hotel Sabari Classic

33 Old Mahabalipuram Road, Chennai (Madras), 603103, India
Quality Hotel Sabari Classic
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Chennai (Madras)

The Deep Stambha or Light House.The Deep Stambha or Light House.

At the templeAt the temple

Kapaliswara TempleKapaliswara Temple

CHENNAI CENTRAL STATION.CHENNAI CENTRAL STATION.

Left luggage at Chennai airport and Taxi to Vellore

by Joematt

Can some on tell me how many days I can leave luggage at Chennai airport and what is the cost for a bag (international travel size)? Is it safe there or people steal? How long it takes from Chennai airport to Vellore? How much it cost for a taxi. I appreciate your help.

Re: Left luggage at Chennai airport and Taxi to Vellore

by vpas

Hello,
It would take you about 3 and a half to four hours from chennai airport to Vellore,by road.It would cost you approximately Rs.2000.I am sorry I do not know about how long you could leave your luggage at the airport.But it is safe to leave it at the appointed place so long as it is locked and you have got a reciept for leaving it from the authorities.The cost of a bag/SUITCASE(international size!)would depend on the brand.A good branded one would cost approximately 4000 and above.
HOPE THIS HELPS!
HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!
Regards,
Vpas

Travel Tips for Chennai (Madras)

Packing List

by newsfreak

try to avoid the huge back-packs common in Europe. Thing is Madras is very Humid. it makes life miserable with heavy loads. carry a small ruck-sack or something just enough for your water bottles, change of t-shirts and other necessities. Cotton, Baumwolle, coton...i don't know the word cotton in other languages. the weather makes it absolutely necessary for you to wear cotton. also, avoid stuffy shoes. best for the weather, indian chappals or sandals. carry an umbrella/hat for the sun. sun lotion, medicines for diarhhoea, dysentry and fever. take your own camera. you can buy film rolls (Kodak and Fuji) cheap in madras itself. develop your photos here as it is much cheaper than germany (my only comparator) mahabalipuram is one endless stretch of beach. thoug if you want provacy, go to a resort. india is still conservative and madras more so. so wear some appropriate beach clothes

Madrasi Food thats world famous!

by abi_maha about Saravana Bhavan

This is one restaurant you cannot miss while in Chennai! For authentic and quality south indian food head to any of the restaurants that this chain boasts of and you are bound to get the tastiest experience of your life! A sumptuous 'meal' is what you will get in this place... Mini idly and sambar!

Indian Rock Python

by FruitLover

DISTRIBUTION:
Pythons are found throughout India in scrub jungle and rain forest. Forages after dark on river edges, forests and in and around human settlements.
DIET:
Feeds mainly on birds, jackals, deer and wildboar.
SIZE:
Average length between 9-10 feet [3m]. Maximum recorded length 7.62m.

Chennai

by Alipo-on

"The City of Chennai"

Chennai is the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, Chennai has an estimated population of 7.5 million (2007), making it the fourth largest metropolitan city in India.

The city was established in the 17th century by the British, who developed it into a major urban centre and naval base. By the 20th century, it had become an important administrative centre, as the capital of the Madras Presidency.

Chennai's economy has a broad industrial base in the automobile, technology, hardware manufacturing, and healthcare industries. The city is home to much of India's automobile industry and is the country's second-largest exporter of Software, information technology (IT) and information-technology-enabled services (ITES), behind Bangalore.

The city is served by an international airport and two major ports; it is connected to the rest of the country by five national highways and two railway terminals. Thirty-five countries have consulates in Chennai.
Chennai hosts a large cultural event, the annual Madras Music Season, which includes performances by hundreds of artists. The city has a vibrant theatre scene and is an important centre for the Bharatanatyam, a classical dance form. The Tamil film industry, known as Kollywood, is based in the city; the soundtracks of the movies dominate its music scene. Chennai is known for its sport venues and hosts an Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) event, the Chennai Open. The city faces problems of water shortages, traffic congestion and air pollution. The state and local governments have undertaken initiatives such as the Veeranam project, Rainwater harvesting and the construction of mini-flyovers to address some of these problems.

"Culture In Chennai"

Chennai's culture reflects its diverse population. The city is known for its classical dance shows and Hindu temples. Every December, Chennai holds a five-week long Music Season celebrating the 1927 opening of the Madras Music Academy. It features performances (kutcheries) of traditional Carnatic music by hundreds of artists in and around the city. An arts festival called the Chennai Sangamam, which showcases various arts of Tamil Nadu is held in January every year. Chennai is also known for Bharatanatyam, a classical dance form that originated in Tamil Nadu. An important cultural centre for Bharatanatyam is Kalakshetra, on the beach in the south of the city.

Chennai is the base for the large Tamil movie industry, dubbed Kollywood after Kodambakkam, home to most of the movie studios. The industry makes more than 150 Tamil movies a year, and its soundtracks dominate the city's music. Chennai's theatres stage many Tamil plays; political satire, slapstick comedy, history, mythology and drama are among the popular genres. English plays are also staged in the city.

Among Chennai's festivals, Pongal, celebrated over five days in January, is the most important. Tamil New Year's Day, signifying the beginning of the Tamil year, usually falls on April 14. Almost all major religious festivals such as Deepavali, Eid and Christmas are celebrated in Chennai. Tamil cuisine in Chennai includes vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Many of the city's restaurants offer light meals or tiffin, which usually include rice-based dishes like pongal, dosai, idli and vadai, served with steaming hot filter coffee.

B R Hills

by SashtheTraveller

"A weekend @ B R Hills"

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 02.30 hrs

Shaun Baker turns into Sashi Shankar !!! I'm off from work. A hectic week is over and I'm all set to leave for Bangalore. Simon (Sudarshan) is also travelling on the same train with me in the same coach.

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 04.45 hrs

I walked out of my street looking for the Fast Track call taxiwala!! These guys never turn up on time! Jus as I was wondering where will I search for an auto so early in the morning... headlights beamed and there he was! Got into the taxi picked up Simon and Vick (Vivek Iyer - his parents were coming to chennai by G T Exp).

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 05.10 hrs

We reached Central. Breakfast at Saravana Bhavan and I picked up a packet of kai murkku for Gayathri's dad. Later realised that it was from Adayar Ananda Bhavan, but he wanted it from Saravana bhavan.. he was ok with it anyways!

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 06.10 hrs

Shatabdi leaves Chennai Central!! No good babes next to me... nor in the coach!! So no distractions, time to sleep. Managed to catch up with some sleep in between the breakfast, biscuits, tea... blah..blah.. turned back to see Simon was fast asleep!!

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 10.50 hrs

Shatabdi reached Bangalore City Junction. So the whole gang was there. Got introduced to Akhila, Rajeev, Anirban, Payal - Ani's better half, Reet - Ani Jr and Kaka - Ani's dad. Then arrived the man of the moment - Raju - Gayathri's dad with Geetha and Anitha. I handed him the murukku packet. We all managed to get ourselves into some position inside the Qualis. Rajeev had to put up between me and the gear lever!! We did have a touch time.

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 17.30 hrs

After a gruelling travel which started at 11.30 AM we somehow managed to reach B R Hills at 17.30. The road was horrible at many places. The most irritated person was Akhila, she thought most of the fun during the Safari would be lost since we reached late.

"B R Hills Contd..."

A brief intro about B R Hills - This is about 225 Kms from Bangalore. And about 75 Kms from Mysore, if I'm right this comes near the Karnataka - TN border - the jungle area. I was told my a colleague of mine [hey yes it you Wadkheri :)!! ] - that this place was governed by the Great Mr.Veerappan!!!! Its about 3500 ft above sea-level. Its a lovely place with thick - dense forest. Jungle Lodeges and Resorts have thier forest resort out there, and yes we had booked 3 log huts for our stay.

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 18.15 hrs

Its time for the open jeep safari. Before we started Akhila had asked me to handle the video camera, its usually the still camera that of Gayathri's I used to handle!! We were on the jeep into the forest some of us hoping that we get lucky to spot a tiger or a leopard and some of hoping that we get lucky - not spot any such animals and return to the hut safely!!

We spotted few deers, lot of birds and finally reached a place where there were 3 elephants eating some trees. Two were tuskers - and since Veerappan is dead they both actually had both thier HUGE TUSKS intact. I was patiently taign shots in the camera trying to catch the tusks clearly. I did, I shut the camera. And was realxing - suddenly we heard a huge sound !! Terrified we turned to the sides to see one of the elephants had started charging towards our jeep and was standign at about 6-7 ft far and trumpeting loudly at us!! Boy .. each of us were terrified and start shaking in fear!! Mr. Rajeeve tried to step out of the jeep and run - Ani was trying something to save himself and his family!!! Jus when the panick was eraching its peak - within 20 odd seconds, the driver calmly started the jeep - and the elephant on hearing the sound of the engine.. BACKED OFF !!! Huh... relieved at last !

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 19.15 hrs

It was pitch dark and the driver was speeding across the jungle and we safely reached the resort around 19.30!! Then we took a break, refreshed with some cold drinks, and the reached the camp fire at 20.15 hrs. then Dinner at 20.30 hrs. By that time it had started to rain (as it is raining now outside as I write this blog!!)

Aug 6,2005 - Saturday - 23.15 hrs

We chilled sometime at one of the huts - playing cards till the power was shut down at 22.45 hrs. Rajeev, Gayathri and I then walked back to our hut - and Rajeev was of f in the next 10 mins then I guess it was me! (Later Gayathri complained that Rajeeve and I snore a bit too much!)

Aug 7,2005 - Sunday - 06.30 hrs

We wake up at the sound of a knock at the door! Coffee was ready and we had to also get ready for the morning trek. There was a lot of speculation which one should we go far during the previous night's dinner. There was group which wanted to go for the tough one - and the other which preferred the easier one!

Aug 7,2005 - Sunday - 07.15 hrs

By the time we all could get ready and reach the office buidling, the whole trekking party had left and we were left with no guide to take us around! But then Akhila used her Kannada skills and people management skills and got Dilan to agree - and Dilan, Mahesh and one more person took us on the trek. First 5 mins in to the trek, Geetha dropped out, then Ani and Payal. So it was Gayathri, Rajeev, Anitha, Akhila and me who finally made it - yes we conquered a 250 ft high hillock which was pretty steep, the rocks were slippery due to the night's rain and the soil was marshy!! We decided we would use the easy way back and were taken through some really thick forest region - which was such a lovely place full of green trees. We also shot the foot prints of a bison while were coming back!

"B R Hills Contd."

Aug 7,2005 - Sunday - 08.30 hrs

It was time for breakfast! During the breakfast Saurav advised us to drop the plan of going to Mysore and instead suggested that we should go to the Billigiri Ranganna Temple and then hit the Kolegal road and visit the Shiv Samudra falls! And we did exactl the same thing. But couldnt say "hi" to Ranganna - coz it was pouring so hard and we dint have enough equipment to ascend 100 steps wthout getting drenched. So we headed straight to Shiv samudram!! And it was worth changing the plan!! Its been raining heavily for past few months in Karnataka and all the dams have been opened and as a result - after 15 yrs Shiv samudram was in its full might!! It was like a mini Niagra!! So Loud !!

Aug 7,2005 - Sunday - 18.00 hrs

We finished all our engagements and headed straight to Bangalore! All i did that night was take complete rest! My train back to Chennai was at 6.30 AM on Aug 8, 2005 Monday.

Aug 8, 2005 - Monday - 07.00 hrs

In the train - Simon called me and said he had two good looking babes next to him! I cursed him - had my breakfast and off to sleep!! Another hectic week starts same day and 17.30 hrs

Aug 8, 2005 - Monday - 17.30 hrs

This is Shaun Baker with Cognizant Technology Solutions ... Is this is a Good time to speak with you!!

Comments