Villa Retreat

nr Coakers Walk, Noyce Road, Kodaikanal, 624101, India

• mehulraj's Profile Photo

Villa Retreat--Not the Best

All that Glitters is not Gold

I came to know about this place through Internet and on internet everything about this place is written great and best. When I was checking this hotel website it showed they dont have any room left and I thought of calling them directly for booking then they said they got only one room left in all category of rooms. Which was quite amusing and on other day in the afternoon we reached there I found most of the rooms were empty as it is off season in Kodaikanal.

They got Classic, Deluxe and Standard rooms. Out of which from Classic room we can have look of Valley and from Deluxe rooms we can have partial view of Kodaikanal city and there are no windows for standard room. From garden we can have view of Kodaikanal city and valley. So we decided to stay at standard room which is around 30-40 $. And they got only one standard room and for our disbelief its door knob was not working, which they said they will repair it within 10 minutes which they were not able to do, even we waited at reception for 30 mins. And we left with no option to opt for Deluxe room which is around 60-70$.

The other problem with standard room is they dont have water heater and hot water is available in the morning and night from 6-9 only. Any other time they will provide it by bucket which is quite annoying. And bed is rock hard.

Deluxe room was ok. Service was good, food was satisfactory not great.

I choose this place just because of its proximity Coaker's walk, Bryant Park and Kodaikanal lake. And these places are just stone throw away from this hotel which is best part of it.This place should only be opted for its proximity which is great advantage otherwise this place is not worth for its money. There are lot of other economical options are available in Kodaikanal, anyway for any location we need to take cab so proximity to any place does not change a thing, only it will save your 5 mins not more than that.

Unique Quality:
    1) Price is too much compared to service offered.

2) Electrical plugs in room are near the floor which is easily reached by even one year kid ( They designed room for looks not for safety)

3) They dont serve Idli for dinner, and they dont have anything on menu which suites small kids and in that case for purchasing food for small kid you have to go to city which is again far from this place.

4) Corners of bed and table are not rounded, you can see that thing in my picture its sharp, this hotel is not at all suitable for kids.

5)Hotel staff few of them dont understand english. Even though they are from Kodaikanal they dont know direction and timing to visit particular place. They dont have knowledge of Kodaikanal at all.

6)When I asked them to give me suggestions/complaint book to write down my experience they gave me piece of paper and that also by security guard not by hotel staff they were all quite funny. I am sure that piece of paper they will use it for sth else....

Directions: Nr. Coakers Walk