Amar Yatri Niwas Hotel

Taj MahalTaj Mahal

Agra Hotels/ guesthouses/things to see

by twalnut

Hello,

We are visiting the Agra area for three or four days in Feb.
Any suggestions as to mid range accomodation, restaurants and things to see would be greatly appreciated. Does getting a guide for the area save a lot of hassle in the long run?

RE: Agra Hotels/ guesthouses/things to see

by Swades

Dear friend,

You can stay in Hotel Pushpavilla (3*), Hotel Atithi (3*), Amar yatri Niwas (2*), Hotel Grand (2*), Hotel Ganga Ratan (1*), Mayur Tourist Complex (1*).

It will be better to hv guide there otherwise u will be in problem as per my suggestion. I think one night is more then to see Agra.

Loev and smile..vivek

Re: Agra Hotels/ guesthouses/things to see

by jcjoe

Last October I stayed three nights in Agra at the "Tourist Rest House" (email address: dontworrychickencurry@hotmail.com) Cost: RS450 per night, including pickup at the train station. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the a.c worked. The bathroom was clean and the water hot. The tv may have worked but I wasn't there to watch television in a language I don't understand.

The place is two stories high, box shaped around an interior garden with lush trees and bushes. The restaurant consists of tables in that garden.

The first room I was offered on arrival was on the second floor with a window overlooking the road outside. As I stepped into the room I could hear a loud-speaker somewhere down the street blaring a repetitive phrase that I guess was either religious or political. So I asked for a quiet room further back. No problem. I was immediately given one all the way in the back. Solid wall inside; my door and window faced onto the interior balcony overlooking the restaurant. Never heard noise again either from outside or other rooms.

The restaurant food was easy on my western palette, reasonably priced and well presented. I found an internet cafe a few doors away. I met a number of very pleasant fellow travelers from all over the world. The lobby has a rack of books left behind by other travelers; read and return, no charge.

The Taj Mahal was about 15 minutes away. The manager ("Ramesh") was helpful in guiding me to avoid overcharges by the motor-rickshaws and taxis. His answers as to the correct rates were what I insisted on during the usual negotiations and they were accepted with a minimum of grumbling.

Travel Tips for Agra

Timing

by FruitLover

Taj changes its character across time as the light changes- dawn, noon, twilight, night. The shadows that fall on the marble too enhance the effect, being very delicate. The Taj is considered especially ethereal when viewed on a full moon night.

Skilled Craftsmen

by keeweechic

Many of the citizens of Agra claim to be descendents of those highly skilled workers who were brought to Agra by Shah Jahan to work on the amazing Taj Mahal. Whether they are or not, the crafts and skills of that time have certainly been passed down.

Rajiv Rajawat - a terrific local guide

by pchamlis

We basically set up our own itinerary for our Indian adventure. THEN, I contracted with a company called Gatik Eventures out of Delhi to provide transportation and city guide/hosting services. (On the excellent reputation of VT member atufft, thanks again, Alan) For more information on Mr. Navin Pandey and Gatik Eventures, please see my tip on the INDIA page.

We were very impressed and pleased with the guides that Gatik contracted for sightseeing in the various places we visited.

Our man in Agra, and in Fatehpur Sikri as well, was Rajiv Rajawat. If you are looking for a knowledgeable, personable and very funny in his own way guide for your time in these areas, I suggest that you get in contact with Rajiv. His English was very good, and we were easily able to understand him during our time together. In fact, he spoke English well enough to include nuance and subtle humor into much of what he did. When you get Rajiv relaxed - to where he's not trying to be totally proper - he can really tell you some funny stories about trysts and romance in the royal courts of the past.

We really enjoyed Rajiv. Here is his contact information, and if you get in touch with him, PLEASE tell him that Pete, Bonnie and Sara said hello.

Rajiv Rajawat
Tour Manager/Guide
(Approved by Ministry of Tourism & Culture, Govt of India)

B-402, Mughal Apartments
Fatehabad Road
Agra, India
Mobile phone +91 98370 23601
email rajivrajawat@yahoo.com Our fondest moments of our time with Rajiv included those times in which we got him to "loosen up" and share some silly humor. Tour guides generally try to play it straight with visitors... one never knows when humor or nuance might be misunderstood and thereby insulting. Once Rajiv realized that we were "fun" people, his already great presentations became even better.

Nevrotic queue!

by schlumpf

If you would need to caugh a bus, a train or a flight, then you will have the problem of the queue.
In India, as well as in a lot of places in Asia, there is no respect for queue
The rule is: the first one speak is the first that has to be listened!
Altough you are waiting for your turn, you will detect that hundreds of people will jump on your shoulder trying to overtake you...it will take away your hair..something really bad! Be patient, that’s the only thing to do!

Shepherds and domestic animals

by georeiser

The main road from Agra to Dehli take you through the countryside where shepherds walk along the road. Many domestic animals cross the street and slow vehicles are driving in the middle of the road. The driver must be on his guard.

Comments