Rahi Gulistan Tourist Complex

Taj MahalTaj Mahal

Agra FortAgra Fort

guess whereguess where

Other buildings at Taj MahalOther buildings at Taj Mahal

Agra to Varanasi via train...

by juleswc

I was looking at booking train travel from Agra to Varanasi on the MARUDHAR EXPRES - but when I get to the 'e ticket' options it says I cannot go on waitlist...I guess this means the train is full?

If this is the case...what other options are there for travel to Varanasi to Agra?

Many Thanks

Jules

Re: Agra to Varanasi via train...

by stephenwaite

Hi

3238 MTJ PNBE EXPRES runs Thurs / Fri / Sunday - Agra>Varanasi sets of later and gets there around midday but can be 2 hours late as a norm!! Never as full so you should be okay..... if you have the patience to book online....!!

Cheers
Steve

Re: Agra to Varanasi via train...

by juleswc

Cheers Steve,

we've ended up booking tickets from Tundla instad which is a 40km drive from Agra. So we're all set.

Thanks for the info though!!

Cheers

Jules

Travel Tips for Agra

There's a little things to see in Agra.

by Stentorian

Well I was saying that. The city is small and conservative. You gotta see the Taj, Agra fort, baby taj, and some other things. Get a tourist map, and you'll find the names of interesting places. U can go to Jaypur or Fatehpur Sikri from there. Just get a Bus from Eidgah Bus stand. Shop a little in agra, move a little, eat a little. There are many hotels in tajganj and fatehabad road. you can find a budget hotel in just Rs.200. All you have to do is just burgain. If the hotel manager asks for 300, u say 150. he will agree at 200. There are many restaurents around the taj. U can have your dinner, lunch, breakfast within 30 rupees.

GOLDEN GLOW, the Afternoon Taj

by pchamlis

Our first visit to the Taj Mahal occured our first afternoon in Agra. We arrived at approximately 3:00 pm and spent maybe 2.5 hours exploring the building and its grounds. Being Rajasthan and being early October, the weather was still blazing hot, and there were hordes of people within the walls. (It was Sunday afternoon, which is a time and day that is very popular with the Indian people for "outings")

In the brilliant sunshine, the Taj reflects its majesty, and to me (and mind you, I'm no painter or artist or anything...) the reflection had a bit of an amber glow - in spite of the gleaming white color of the Taj itself. I'm saying that the light that hit our faces and was cast about the grounds had a very warm quality to it. A couple of the "us at the Taj" photos we took were clearly very saturated in golds and reds.

One thing that amazed me was the "stillness" of the moment. There we were, visiting the Taj with a couple of thousand other souls, and yet.... it still had a degree of stillness. I suppose that has something to do with being in the presence of such greatness and perfection. The afternoon Taj is like seeing a true beauty at her afternoon best, her bejeweled finery and lavish habiliments all part of the grand package. This afternoon visit included my first real experience with Indians who "wanted to be photographed with us". I learned that Indians are very keen on meeting visitors from far away, and they very much enjoy having their picture taken with them. I met a young woman at the Taj who wanted to take my picture. After several minutes and several more "here she comes back" visits, I ended up posing for several photos with her and various members of her family. So very friendly.

I also enjoyed "people watching" during our afternoon Taj visit. The afternoon trip was the one where there were sooooo many other visitors, so we had the chance to see how so many locals enjoy this treasure in their homeland. There was a group of young Indian Army recruits who were so very honored when we wanted to photograph them in their uniforms. (I'll include that photo here) There were lovers, children, holy men, backpackers, people who you'd describe as "down on their luck".... a huge variety. And we all had one thing in common... we were all basking in the afternoon reflection of architectural perfection and the centuries-old love of Shah Jahan and Queen Mumtaz.

Commercial Advertisements

by diageva

Commercial advertisements are painted with gorgeous colours at Agra’s walls. Pepsi, Mirinda, and other products are announcement this way. Most of them these with Indian fonts, so I did not understand some messages.
You could find MIRINDA when I was little at Spain, at 70’s, it was great to see it again cause it brings me childhood memories. Commercial advertisements are link to our memories very much.
I bought a bag that they use to go to the market with a tomato advertisement, I am really happy with it :)

Taj Festival 18 to 27 Feb Every Year

by RAJASTHANBYCAR

Come February and it's springtime. The time of the year when nature dawns all it's colorful splendour and Agra bursts into colorful celebrations. For 10 days there is a sheer celebration of Uttar Pradesh's rich heritage of arts, crafts, culture, cuisine, dance and music. Yes, it is Taj Mahotsava time again. There are festivities all around and Agra truly puts on the colors of joy and gets transformed into one non stop carnival. Organised by Uttar Pradesh Tourism, and held as an annual event at Shilpgram, literally next door to the Taj Mahal, the Taj Mahotsav is indeed a fitting tribute to the legendary skills of matercraftsmen and exponents of art, music and cuisine. Not only this, it is also a gentle peep into the rich heritage and extraordinary legacies of this wonderful land.
The festivities commence with a spectacular procession inspired by Mughal splendour. Bedecked elephants and camels, drum beaters, folk artists and mastercraftsmen.... all help to recreate a visual delight reminiscent of the golden era of the Mughal Darbars.

sarung is a must, forget the cellphone

by ukirsari

light backpack flip-flop with socks, trainers with socks tissue paper is a must, personal medicine added with several rechargeable batteries for digi-cam > switch off your cellphone and keep it separated from your backpack since the security guards will not allow you cellphone to take in at Taj Mahal.
>> put inside your backpack a sarung [my fave stuff anywhere i go :)] to protect your body from the heat, especially in summer. but baseball cap or umbrella also fine.

Comments