Hari Ganga Haveli Hotel

See Amenities

nice quiet place

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 19, 2011

Haveli Hari Ganga is a nice place. Its hard to believe that in the midst of all the crowded lanes and filth there could be a place as quiet as this. Right on the banks of the Ganga, we stayed there for one night for a family vacation. Rooms should be Ganga facing else its no good.
Some minor issues such as cockroach on the bed, slow service in restaurant and no running hot water in the bathroom as they claim. But other than that it was a nice experience – good food, nice rooms and bathroom too. no point waiting for them to arrange transportation , you're better off doing it yourself. Didn’t try internet service.

I was a little apprehensive especially reading the review on how the staff misbehaved with women and the manager's lame response to that, but luckily our stay went off well. the manager was nice, Staff were polite and helpful except for one guy at the front desk – don’t know his name, but he's short and dark.

Overall a pleasant surprise given the usual state/service of hotels in India.

Unique Quality: nice view, monkey menace makes it impossible to sit out and enjoy the view though

sin_666's Profile Photo

Super place! must stay!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 14, 2011

We stayed in their Ganga facing room. It was a lovely hotel, the service was just incredible. All our requests were attended to. Their evening aarti organization was excellent. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The manager added the personal touch and welcomed us. One of us fell seriously ill at night, and the front desk was so helpful, the doctor was organized immediately, all the staff right from the doorman the next day inquired about our recovery. The food is excellent, though we did recommend a lighter meal option to them.

The only drawback we faced was our room - the suite facing the ganges, if you have a noisy family next door, it makes your visit a bit difficult. We had 3 different families in the 3 nights we were there, and it was really difficult to get any sleep as the noise travels really quick from the common landing area.
Otherwise an overall excellent experience and we highly recommend it to anyone visiting Haridwar. Great service, food, location and the spa was great to!

Lovely Place to stay

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2009

I stayed at the Haveli in April of 2008. I was there three nights--Wednesday through Friday--and found it a lovely and peaceful home. I did not try to handle my own accommodations--I had a wonderful tour provider who made it easy to go everywhere I traveled in India so I did not have to worry about a thing. I arrived at the Haveli with my guide and other than laundry service (I arrived in India with little to wear, planning to take time to shop for clothing) and services at the spa, I had very little to worry my pretty little head about. My meals were already included in the plan, all I had to do was purchase a bottle of water with my dinner and an extra to take to my room in the evening. My guide had cold bottled water for me all day, every day, as we toured Haridwar and Rishikesh.

I did take advantage of the services of the resident astrologer on the second evening, and I was a bit skeptical at first, but was astounded at the things he was able to tell me that were things he should not have been able to know. I don't recall the exact figure for his services but it was quite reasonable and well worth it.

The food was excellent, the room very lovely and classic and comfortable. The bed was the best I had the entire time in India, and the view of the Ganga from my balcony was enchanting.

I also took advantage of the Ayurvedic spa services at the in-house spa and it was a wonderful experience.

I hope to return to Haridwar someday--it was one of my very favorite places in all of India. I would not stay anywhere BUT the Haveli Hari Ganga.

Unique Quality: The Haveli is a unique historic home with lovely furnishings and fixtures. It is clean, classic, charming and comfortable. It is not ostentatious or over the top--simply a lovely home. The balcony off my room was over the river Ganga and was magical with a view of the river, the lovely birds in the area, bougainvillea in bloom and view of the pilgrims coming to the river.

lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Great Views of Ganges

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 19, 2009

This hotel is a beautiful building.An old family Haveli(1918)- it has been well converted into a luxury hotel. It has a perfect position, on the banks of the Ganges, it has large, spacious and clean rooms with marble floors.. The furnishings are tasteful, and tiled bathrooms a good size with shower and good lighting. A private bathing ghat is available, although no-one was using it.
The front terrace of the hotel overlooks the fast-flowing Ganges, and there is a large common balcony with tables & chairs, an ideal place to sit and read, meditate or just chill out.
The ayurverdic spa on the roof-top offers various packages- the massage was professional.
Yoga & Meditation classes are also on offer.
I fear, however, that the lines of communication between the front-desk management and guests is definitely non-existent.
On arrival- all goes well- until one finds that the acommodation originally booked (and paid for on demand) is NOT what one gets. We had booked & PAID for a room facing the Ganges (called a "Ganges Facing Room"- which costs extra). We were shown to a room that was at the FRONT of the hotel- nowhere near the river. After heated arguments- we were eventually given what we had booked and paid for. It seems that the booking agent (in Delhi) had given gross mis-representation of description of the room.(according to the front-desk manager). Who to believe???
Anyway- after settling in, we were told that the hotel guests should not visit the Ganga Aaarti ceremony on their own, as they would be "hassled" by touts etc at the ghats. The hotel, apparently, had its own guide. This was a blatant con- because the "hotel guide" was nothing more than a tout himself.
The next upsetting thing was that we booked (at the front desk) a car for a trip to Rishikesh
at 8am the next morning. We were told by them that it is a 2 hour drive to Rishikesh- NOT TRUE. Rishikesh is only 23 kms away from Haridwar. It gets worse- at 8am we were waiting & ready , in the foyer, for our car & driver. At 9 am I enquired what the hold-up was, to be told, quite casually, that no car would be coming! They had "forgotten" to organize it. Of course, the buck was passed from one staff member to another. We eventually found our own transport- but I was fuming by this time.
Its really a pity about all this nonchalant management, because this hotel has everything it needs in order to be a perfect place to stay.
The food in the diningroom was very good, (it is B&B but Evening Buffet cost R300 per person)
The service in dining-room is good,if a bit slow.
Richard & I are very patient people- and we very seldom are dissatified with service. We realise that we are in India, and things don't always run smooth. However- if an hotel purports to call itself "The Best Hotel In Haridwar", and charge accordingly, one would expect the standerd of service to be much more efficient. There were apologies, of course, but by this time, we were just thoroughly fed up. A shame. It could have been a great experience. The few other guests that we talked to were also very disgruntled- one English couple cut their stay short.

Unique Quality: The Ayurvedic Spa on the rooftop is fantastic.
The rooms are large and airy.
The Balcony overlooking the Ganga

Directions: Bara Bazaar (one cannot access the hotel except by foot or by Cycle-Rickshaw- Auto rickshaw & Cars not allowed into Bara Bazaar) An inconvenience.

tayloretc's Profile Photo

First Class

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 1, 2007

One of the nicest places I've ever stayed. Originally built by a wealthy family as a personal residence, it has been restored as a heritage hotel. The rooms are beautiful, everything is spotless, the almost-downtown location is great. It's a peaceful retreat from the pilgrim madness, and a bit of luxury in an otherwise not so luxurious town. There are verandas, common areas with views of the Ganges and plenty of seating, a private ghat, yoga and meditation in the morning, and ayurvedic spa treatments on site, among other things.

The service at the restaurant was good, if slow. All meals are buffet style, with dishes rotated, unless they are serving thali. All the meals I had were great, especially that thali (wow) and some of the vegetable dishes were outstanding. There were a couple of items made fresh on a grill for breakfast and dinner.

You can't take a car into the narrow streets surrounding the hotel, but you can catch a cycle-rickshaw, or you can call ahead and they will arrange pickup for you.

Directions: In the middle of the bazaar, just south of the main ghats.

Nearby Hari Ganga Haveli Hotel

• Room Service
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Haridwar Travel Forum

Need advice about Haridwar, India? Visit the Travel Forum for Haridwar and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Haridwar hotel reviews