D, 16/28-A, Manmandir Ghat, Dasaswamedh, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, 221001, India

Hostelworld.com

• TracyLB's Profile Photo

Great Hotel, Great Service!!

This hotel/guesthouse is right on the Ganges and a couple minute walk from the main Ghat!! There is a roof top restaurant called the Dolphin Restaurant ...Rooms are nice, and clean, ours had a magnificent view of the Ganges. The staff is very friendly and helpful..

Unique Quality: Try and get a Ganges view room, as the view is outstanding...

Directions: In the centre of the city at the MANMANDIR GHAT

More about A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House

Perfect place to experience Varanasi

by TripAdvisor Member NY_Traveler_000

Staying at the Rashmi Guest House was the best decision we made in our attempt to experience Varanasi. Located at the centre of the ghats and very near the main Dasashwamedh ghat, it gives you the ability to to where you want to be in few minutes, at any time of the day. It also serves as an oasis if you need to take a break from the , chaotic experience and intensity of this city.

The guest house, while not a 5 star hotel, is extremely functional and clean. Our room was small but contained all the amenities ones need including comfortable beds, a/c (that we didn’t need as it was cool), small TV and hot water. We were lucky to get one of the rooms with a view to the river, which made the experience much richer (we watched the sunrise from the room). The Dolphin restaurant on the roof (in and out door) served good including some western dishes.

The service at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating. Starting with Ramesh, the efficient manager who helped us to get a car when we went to another town and ending with Papu who helped us with advice, guided us in the city and played his drums so wonderfully. We hope that by the time you go they will allow the use of credit cards, especially when you reserve in advance (we had to wire money.)

great location, great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member travgran

This hotel has two names, which can lead to confusion, especially as another hotel in a different location has a very similar name (Palace on the Ganges). When building permission and permits were being sought the Rashmi family used the name Rashmi Guest House, however when the hotel opened they called it A Palace On The River. Banking is still done under the original name.
Once you get there, however you are at the right place for a really great stay. The hotel is right on the ghats, one ghat over from where the sunset ceremony is held and two ghats in the opposite direction to the cremation ghats. The rooms facing the river are a skybox on all the goings on below, far below. Visiting the Varanasi riverfront does entail climbing a lot of steps. The restaurant is on the roof, and you can choose between outdoor and indoor seating. The food is good and inexpensive. There is NO elevator. I was told that no hotel anywhere along the river had been granted planning permission for an alevator. As a single I paid $68/night including breakfast and taxes. The offer of airport/train station pick-up is worth the expense. Otherwise finding the right place is completely dependent on the goodwill of the taxi/rickshaw driver.
I am mobility impaired, and the many steps were a challenge, however, I would NOT look for an alternative hotel if I were to return to Varanasi. A Palace On The River is just too perfect a location, and being right on the ghats with a river view room, overall I had less walking and step climbing than if I had stayed at an hotel with an elevator in a different part of the city.

fantastic place

by TripAdvisor Member Baida

Definitely one of the best places to stay in the holy city of Varanasi is the unbeatable PALACE ON RIVER, RASHMI GUESTHOUSE.
Superb location right on the main ghats. Great view at the Ganga river. The 6 front facing rooms and the rooftop restaurant all give the impression to be in the middle of the scene.

The owner and the manager and his staff make you feel at home and treat you with a excellent kitchen as well.

When you do not need a swimming pool and want to avoid the hectic of the traffic in Varanasi each time when you want to visit the ghats: stay here. The rooms are not so big, but very clean and have attached bathrooms and AC.

Whenever I come to Varanasi I like to have the "Palace on River" feeling again. It brings you right in the special mystic world of old Varanasi.

Bas Pas
Thali Foundation
The Netherlands

The Right Place to Stay in Crazy Varanasi

by TripAdvisor Member Max25

Friends who had been previously advised against staying in the upscale hotels located away from the river, and we're glad we took their advice. Varanasi is a full-on, chaotic experience, and given the time it takes to negotiate your way through the malaise, and the degree to which everything happens at the riverside, staying close to the action right next to the principal ghats was a big plus.

Palace on River is probably the most prominent and well advertised guest house on the riverfront. Its location couldn't be bettered, and the views from our bedrooms' enormous picture windows - 3rd floor river facing - were probably the best views available from any hotel room in Varanasi. Panoramic.

After staying in 5-Star hotels elsewhere, this guest house is functional but in another league. Our rooms, while containing all the amenities you could ask for, were small-ish and an interesting cocktail of myriad orange hues and velour trimmings. That said, the beds were very comfortable, the a/c worked and the water was plentiful and hot.

The Dolphin restaurant on the roof served a 'back-packer' level of western food and good Indian food - all safe we're relieved to report.

Ramesh the owner was incredibly helpful and efficient, proactively organising an excellent tourguide that met us on arrival at the station and stayed with us throughout, bringing the whole experience alive for us.

Varanasi is an absolutely unforgettable city. Palace on River, while neither designer nor sophisticated, is functional, efficient, great value and perfectly located to facilitate a complete and intense experience.

What a perfect spot

by TripAdvisor Member Clarkestone

I'm so glad this place was recommended to me - it's the most perfect location, with the best views. It's safe and the owners are so friendly - and if you'd like a tour guide whilst you are there - ask Ajay Shanket Tiwani and Rashmi Tiwani, the owners - as they'll provide you with someone you can trust. You'll need to pay extra for this, but it's worth it - you get to see parts of Varanasi that you wouldn't usually see - and you don't get hassle from people when you're with a local.

The food is great and the kitchen clean - and the restaurant overlooks the Ganges - you can spend hours there!

I was there during the kite festival - and it's wonderful sitting watching all the people on their roofs flying kites...

website address is [--------------------------------------]. Compared to other guest houses, this one is a bit more pricey, but it's definitely worth it.

Great location, wonderful rooftopp view restaurand

by TripAdvisor Member LambertYYZ

Great location in Varanasi. Clean multistorey. Best find was the Dolphin rooftop restaurant. Spent a lot of time just looking down on other roofs, streets, ghats and the Ganges. Excellent view of daily life.

Prices from 1500 INR basic to 4200 INR deluxe. Close to Golden Temple.

Mixed opinion

by TripAdvisor Member fabauthor

I have mixed feelings about Rashmi. On one hand it is in an absolutely perfect location - right on the Ganges where all the action happens in Varanasi. Another good thing about the hotel was the endless supply of hot water! And I mean boiling hot!

On the other - the hotel is really very average with hard beds... wooden bases, and about 4 inch thick mattresses. Not comfortable. Though, I figure this might be "usual" for Indian hotels. I also wasn't impressed by the rooftop restaurant's food and the disgustingly dirty menus. Varanasi however, would have to be one of the dirtiest cities I've ever been to, so perhaps that's the norm too. (Take plenty of hand-hygiene wash!)

I guess overall Rashmi's in a truly fantastic location but I was a bit disappointed by the hard beds and overall averageness of the accomodation. Given all the glowing reviews - I expected a little more luxury.

Speechless!

by TripAdvisor Member Katchit

From first contact with Ramesh the hotel manager this was a first class experience. Ramesh (with his wonderful smile) could not do more to make things easier. He truly knows his stuff.

Flew down to Varanesi from Delhi and were met at the airport by a driver from the hotel. Varanesi is not for the faint hearted! The hotel is situated on the Ganges and so parking is a couple of streets away but what an introduction to this city. Have travelled the world but the sights, smells, heat and shear intesity is like Bangkok on speed.

The Palace on the River's situation is perfect. The welcome we received was first class. On checking in we were introduced to the owner and his son who couldn't have been more pleased to welcome us. We felt like royalty.

First impressions of the room (we paid extra for the best room overlooking the ghats) was that it was a tad basic but extremely clean. The bed and pillows didn't make for a good night's sleep and the air conditioning (40 degrees outside) only just coped but the view and the staff (who were wonderful - as good as Oberoi Amarvilas) more than made up for this - who needs sleep anyway in such a mad place!

Food in the restaurant basic, but again very clean and had no worries at all eating here. Rooftop terrace perfect for sitting and taking in the views at sunset.

If possible ask for Bapu (works at the hotel) to show you around. He really does take you to the places no one else knows about and gives a real insight into what this city is about, with sunrise and sunset boat trips on the Ganges a must .

If you want to be a part of this city (and not feel like just another tourist) this is the place to stay. A truly remarkable experience that we're still talking about!

a very good place to stay in varanasy

by TripAdvisor Member sharon99

palace on the river is a very good place to be in varanasy. the manager 'Ramesh 'and all the other staff are doing their best. the rooms are clean' althought not very big. the roof top restaurant is very good - but only if you pick the indian dishes. they can do it not spiecy, and its realy deliciouse. the big advantage is the location. right above the ganges. this is very important if you realy want to feel the special athmosphere of veransy. all in all - who neeeds more ? a comftable hotel, good and safe restaurant, good and caring service , and the best location.
we stayed there 3 nights, paid 65$ per night for 2 persons in a deluxe room, and realy enjoyed.
Yosef lev
Israel.

Hotel in Varanasi

by NAONED

Hi there,

I am travelling this summer to India Nepal Tibet.
I need some infos about guest house, hotel in Varanasi.
Also from there I d'like to go to Nepal, could you advise about train or buses to the border.
Thanks for coop

by balramdass

hi
try
desiya.com
i booked internal travel and hotels with them
Balram

by KevRL

I have twice stayed at the Scindia Guest House, at the ghat of the same name.
It has the best views of the river and all that happens at the ghats. It is just down stream of the large burning ghat.
There is another guest house with the same name, but it has no views and not so good.
Buses go to the border, just ask at your guest house when you get there.
Have a great time.
Kevin

by suziherbert

The Ganpati Guesthouse was great when we stayed there in March, it is right on the Ganges and is a really lovely relaxed place to stay. The more expensive rooms have their own balcony overlooking the Ghats ( some of the cheapest rooms were less than luxurious !. We met others staying at different Guesthouses, and all said that ours was the most fun to stay in.

by squashedfaerie

I agree, go to the Ganpatti, we stayed there for about a week, so relaxing....

by Latlo

Me and my friends spent a week in Varanasi and stayed at Rashmi Guest House. This was our last stop in India and while we paid a bit more than we had for the rest of the trip (we were on a budget), it was worth it. The staff were friendly and helpful and you could really make yourself at home. If you don't stay there, I would definately recommend heading there for breakfast at the rooftop restaurant "Dolphin Restaurant". It has a wonderful view of the ghats and the food is great!

by GenuinelyCurious

I booked a hotel at the train station. It was nice enough, decent price and all that. But if I had it to do all over again, I'd just wander up and down the river and see something that caught my eye. There have to be dozens upon dozens of places...

Comments