Rahi Tourist Bungalow-Sarnath

Mulgandha KutiMulgandha Kuti

Kedar GhatKedar Ghat

Malaria pills???

by lilydog

I am traveling from Delhi to Jaipur to Agra to Varanasi in mid march for 12 days. Do I need to take anti-malaria pills? Thanks for your help.

by vpas

You should take malaria pills as advised,however,do carry mosquito repellelants and buy a net while in india.it is not just malaria that spreads through mosquitoes,there are other dangerous diseases like dengue fever etc..
with the right precautions you will enjoy the places your have chosen to go.
vpas

by lynnehamman

Take the pills. Maleria is a killer- and its not worth risking your life.We have just returned from the areas you mention- and there were zillions of mozzies.

by laney60

Hi I will be doing the same trip in March.The advice at the moment is that tablets are not necessary for these areas.
However I have been told that the situation changes monthly and I have to check again at the beginning of March.

I will be taking a mosquito net and a plug in,also will be using repellant after dark.

Have a great trip.
Laney

by shasmac

Hi, just had a call from our practice nurse that we do not have to take malaria pills for that area. She was very thorough and asked for every area we were going to on our trip. We are doing Delhi, Varanasi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Amritsar and Macleodganj. Advise is to keep covered and avoid bites.

regards

Shasmac

Travel Tips for Varanasi

Locally Around My Hotel

by keeweechic

Around where my hotel was located was fairly run down although I came to realise that this was normal for Varanasi. I was a little concerned wandering around on my own but I didn’t venture too far from the hotel. Rickshaw drivers wanted to take me sightseeing but I only wanted to walk. Shop owners tried to entice me into their stores. I went into one, the lights and air conditioners were turned off but the moment I walked in, everyone leapt to attention and everything was switched on. I was taken up stairs and had a brief moment of wondering if I was doing the right thing. With little time to spent, I was quickly shown a variety of silk goods. As in another couple of stores I was later to go into, I was quizzed as to how many were in my group and asked to bring them back to visit. The shops all seemed to be open until 8.30pm or even 10.00pm in some cases.

Cable men

by l_joo

In the narrow street here in Varanasi, cable works are not a simple job. Click the picture to see how they setup themselves up on a mobile ladder going around the ghat area to solve the cable works.

Crematorium

by l_joo

You can see my shadow on the cremation site, the sunlight was strong, good photo opportunity. There's a goat waiting there to eat whatever possible, nobody care, they care more on the fire I guessed. Temperature here was quite high, not so comfortable to stand too long but for taking photos.

DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH CREMATIONS

by lynnehamman

While walking alongside the river, you will pass certain ghats. The cremation ghats, known as "The Burning Ghats" are busy 24 hours of each day. Its very confrontational seeing a cremation for the first time, and the natural urge is to want to photograph or film it. DON'T.
It is totally disrespectful to take pictures of people cremating their loved ones.
Anyone may watch- and there are always crowds around Manikarnika Ghat, which is the main crematory ghat.
Sometimes, if you are passing a ghat whilest on a river cruise, you may take a discreet photo, from a distance- but definitely not while standing watching.

Dhobi wallahs

by illumina

During any walk or boat ride along the river and you're sure to notice the long lines of saris and kurta etc laid out to dry on the slopes. The people doing the washing are the dhobi wallahs, the laundry caste, and the sound of their exhertions, the slap, slap, slap of the wet cloth against the boards or stones, rings out over the water like cannon fire! The men are the professionals, the ones who collect laundry from hotels; the women are probably doing their family's own washing.

Comments