Hotel Times International

23 Marquis Street, 2nd floor, Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, 700016, India

More about Kolkata (Calcutta)

At boarding roomAt boarding room

Hooghly River & Howrah Bridge, KolkataHooghly River & Howrah Bridge, Kolkata

Not much crime in KolkataNot much crime in Kolkata

Buildings in Kolkata, IndiaBuildings in Kolkata, India

Kolkata HELP!

by heafelomins

I will be going to kolkata very soon but I do not seem to find a very clean but not expensive hotel to stay in for acouple of months...At this point maybe I am thinking of renting an apartment for these months....any suggestions? I would like to volunteer at Nirmal Hriday, Kalighat: Home for the Dying and Destitute 251, Kalighat Rd...Has anyone had any experience there? And also want to continue my intense yoga practice...does anyone know of a good yoga center or teacher I am mostly interested in Hatha and Raja yoga. Any info on hotels, apartments, yoga and volunteer in kolkata is really helpful as at the moment I have no clue!! THANKS!

Re: Kolkata HELP!

by ashisharyan

hi friend i am very soory but i am seeing this after a long time...so did u managed a to gt an place...and if u still are here..where are U..it will be nice to get in touch with U...

Re: Kolkata HELP!

by salesians

Hello Im afraid Im not going to reply to your help as you have probably returned already so my question is Did you find a good place to stay in and did you find ayoga centre where you could practise yoga.Myself and some friends are yoga teachers coming to Calcutta and would like to find a meditation centre or yoga centre.Also any tips for accommodation? Salesians

Travel Tips for Kolkata (Calcutta)

Beggars

by global-drifter

I make my way to Chittarangan Avenue, which although even more crowded than other areas of the city, suffers less beggars and litter. I find the aptly named 'Bon Appetit,' which is a small stall specializing in Mughali snacks, alongside Chinese food and Kolkata staples. A 'veg roll,' which is like a pancake stuffed with potato curry is good value at 10 rupees. It's also delicious. My initial impression of Chittarangan having less beggars goes down in flames as two street children, no more than three or four years old, approach me and implore me for money. They are dressed in rags, covered in dust but ask for help with impeccable manners. How could I say no? I don't like to give cash, so instead I buy them both a meal. The combined total for both our meals is less than 50 cents. Even I can afford to be generous here =P

Komagata Maru- the Sikh Martyrs!!

by goutammitra

As The Komagata Maru approached Calcutta on September 26, 1914, a European gunboat signaled the ship to stop. The ship was put under guard and the passengers were held as prisoners. The Komagata Maru was taken to a place called Budge Budge, about seventeen miles away from its original destination of Calcutta. These new developments took the passengers of the ship by surprise. After two months of litigation in Canada they were not interested in any new developments of this kind. Baba Gurdit Singh inquired upon as to the change of their course, an official informed him that the passengers were being sent to Punjab via a special train. Many of the passengers did not want to go to Punjab. They had business to attend to in Calcutta, some wished to look for work there, and most importantly, the passengers wanted to place the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, which they had taken with them on their journey, in a Calcutta Gurdwara.

Their main purpose on reaching Calcutta was to hand over the Sri Guru Granth Sahib and to see the governor. The journey was long and after numerous threats by the police, they were left with no choice but to head back to Budge Budge. At Budge Budge, they were ordered to board the ship once again. The passengers, led by Baba Gurdit Singh, refused. A policeman attacked Baba Gurdit Singh with his baton but was stopped by a fellow passenger. It was at this point that firing started. Baba Gurdit Singh was carried to safety. But not all passengers were to be so fortunate. Twenty-nine fell victim to the bullets of British officials and 20 died. Here was another senseless massacre of innocent Indians at the hands of the British. The was the tragic end of the passengers of the Komagata Maru.

The heroic deeds of the Komagata Maru men and their trials aroused the admiration and sympathy of the entire Indian nation.

Taxi Driver Scheme #3

by Guantanamera

Seeing that I wasn't convinced by his bypass con, he started up with another scheme, saying that his taxi was a "luxury" car, not a regular taxi, and for that reason he deserved higher pay and I would need to pay 300 rupees. In actuality, his car was a rickety old junker, probably more than 30 years old, in lousy condition. The only difference between his cab and others I had previously taken in Calcutta was that he had put a length of cloth on the back seat to cover it up. Woohoo, luxury!! I again refused to pay more than 200 rupees...

Sunday Bengali Buffet at Big Boss!!

by goutammitra about Big Boss

This tip should have appeared about two months back but again I was waiting for some more tips to add on the page. This tip is dedicated to my friend Faiza, who herself is excellent cook and connoisseur of good Indian/ Pakistani cooking.

I never wrote about this hotel on Rawdon Street, Kolkata. It's a three star hotel with 40 rooms and three restaurant. The restaurant offers Bengali Buffet on Sundays and festival time with highly elaborate menu. This year too during Durga Puja they came up with Bengali Promo Buffet with about 45 items on the table. There were 6 varities of Bengali Non Vegetarian dishes, Rice, Parathas, Luchi ( Puri), Vegetables cooked in typical Bengali style, 8 types of Chutneys and so on. It was a grand lunch as thefood was heavy, spicy and very very tasty, which prompted me to eat more and the result, I could not drive further. I had to come back home and rest for the day!

Please see the elaborate menu as it is very difficult put all of them in one place. I liked the Dav Chingri ( Coconut Prawn), Kasha Mangsho ( Mutton Cooked in less gravy), Bengali Pulao, Jhinge Posto, Sorshe Illish ( Mustard Hilsa), Aaam Dal ( Lentils with Mango) etc. It's a great experience indeed.

Calcutta's Pride.

by goutammitra about Trincas at Park Street.

Those who are familier with Kolkata/ Calcutta are sure to be aware of this place , located on main Park Street as the Outlet of one of the five star hotels of Kolkata, The Park. This hotel was built around in 1930s and in 1940s the external unit was thrown open for Indians. This Restaurant was and still is very famous for food and drinks at a very resonable price and listen to live band as well. Well well just wait...... wait, wait.. Trincas has given platform to many famous singers of the world(?).Yes to the world Trincas has given Freddie Murcury ( Fredune Balsara), the lead vocalist of famous Rock Band " QUEEN"... surprised!!!! yes you should be, Freddie was never British but a Calcutta boy from Parsi community. I heard him in my young days, I even know his family and cousins who run an automobile service centre. Then Pam Crains and the Iyer sisters ( Usha Uthup is a very famous Indian playback/ stage singer. The food is simply superb and very affordable for a place like The Park. The food at Trincas is just superb but on Sunday afternoon (3rd Dec06), I just tried to live my youth day favourite The Platter and Beer. After entering I just remembered in the '70s, when we had less money but crave for good food, beer and music we used to have the Platter. I dont remember the price of the 70s but today it costs Rs.150/- incl of taxes, means about USD3.5. I offered Rakhi & Munu the same but they had Thai platter and I had chinese platter( I am enclosing the menu also). Beer costs about Rs.80/- per 650ml bottle( surprised!!!!!!), apart from this they have happy hours also between 5PM - 7PM. The Live Band starts at 6.30 so all this makes the place a favourite place for the office returning crowd.

And the crew!!!! just as you wanted them to be very nice, very sober always ready to help you in selecting the food and drink of your choice and very well behaved.

Comments