Paramount Hotel

33/4 Free School Street, Near Mirza Galib Street, Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, 670016, India

Satisfaction Poor

More about Kolkata (Calcutta)

The hallThe hall

Picture blurred due to frost over the lens.Picture blurred due to frost over the lens.

The traffic in KolkataThe traffic in Kolkata

Motorcycle rickshaws in KolkataMotorcycle rickshaws in Kolkata

Anyone to help in getting Rail Ticket

by reazbd

Dear Friend,

I'll arrive Kolkata on 6th December and want to leave for Agra on the same day. But I've heard that it is quite difficult to get rail ticket on same date on December.

I've tried to book ticket online, but as I don't have any Indian Bank Account and Indian Address, I couldn't book ticket.

Can anyone suggest me how to book a rail ticket from abroad? Is there anyone/travel agency who can book rail ticket for me?

Plz reply
reazbd@gmail.com

by nish2027

Try irctc.co.in

You can book via some international cards like citi and hsbc

Cheers,

by nish2027

You dont need an Indian Address....Use an Eticket

by reazbd

Actually I tried, but I don't have HSBC and CITI Card. I've another interational credit card, but it was not working. I tried it several times.

by ganesh.in

i dont think how your credit card alone is not accepted. any way only way is to come and take your tickets personally in calcutta. i dont think you wont get a ticket. use the foreigner quote with indian railways. ask the current reservation counter at calcutta railway station and definitely they will give a ticket. have a nice journey

Travel Tips for Kolkata (Calcutta)

Excellent way of paying for food

by lynnehamman

I am not too sure where to place this tip- but anyway- here it is.

We ,despite having travelled extensivly in India, came upon a 'first' in Kolkata.
We were in a huge shopping mall (South City Mall), and wanted some lunch. The method of payment is a very sensible, and certainly very hygenic.
NO MONEY changes hands in the food court. At the entrance-one has to buy a "purchase card" - we gave over R500, and a swipe-card was loaded with that amount. Then, at each food counter , one hands over the card for payment, and the amount is swiped, and deducted from the card.
( I suppose it works on the similar system to a mini-credit card)
After eating, we handed back the card on exiting, and we got the refund of R40 back.
This probably is a system used in other malls- but for us it was a first,and we thought it was a brilliant idea.Handling money passes germs, especially where food is involved!
I have not even seen it here in Australia- but stand corrected if I am mistaken.

Bandel, teastop

by sachara

We drunk a glass of tea at one of the tea-stalls opposite the church. The tea costs only 2 eurocents, very cheap.
Afterwards we took a rickshaw to the mosque of Bandel. The mosque is one KM more south, also at the riverside.

The last rickshaws?

by illumina

Rickshaws are a common mode of transport in India - or at least motor- or cycle-Rickshaws are. Kolkata is one of the last places where you will find rickshaws being pulled by a person running. I felt very uncomfortable with the idea of these poor men (they were all men as far as I could see), who looked very undernourished, pulling not only the weight of the cart but one or more people and luggage too. So I didn't use this form of transport - however, I do rather wish now that I'd taken a photo, as this is a custom that will probably not last too much longer, as the government of West Bengal has been talking about banning them totally.

Loads of rickshaw pullers hang around Sudder Street - it seemed likely that many of them slept there too, out on the street in their rickshaw.

Coffee time

by Hyrapiet about Cafe Coffee Day and Barista

Ambience and location are excellent for these two coffee shops. Both are located within walking distance of each other on Park Street, across the street from the Park Hotel.

There are many branches all across the city and these are places for college students to hang out. The mochas and lattes are great, ask them to go easy on the sugar if you're diabetic though, Indians have a sweet tooth!

Best of Chinese Food- Part IV

by goutammitra about Mainland China- Chinese New Year!!

Since we love Chinese food, during the celebration of Chinese New Year we decided to visit Mainland China again. We too Rakhi's brother, sister in law and their Engineer son ( they live in St.Lois, USA) to taste the food of Mainland China. Compared to our last experience this time it was great experience!! We ordered two starters with Draught Beer and got two Black Dog whiskey on the house, there was one starter on the house too and unlimited supply of Chinese tea. All these came with highly improved service from the crew. Now I feel all of them know me very well as from the greetings it was evident.

After our last visit on 14th Jan, I wrote to their owner mr. Chatterjee at Bombay about the behaviour of the crew( as I felt it was snob), their Marketing Manager Mr. Firoz Sadri called and listened to my feelings carefully. It seems he surely has taken corrective action! We really enjoyed our meal along with our relatives from abroad. My favourite Draught Beer is also back again. We are proud of Mr.Asish Chatterjee a fellow Bengali Enterprenure, for taking his venture to this hight! It was a real great experience! It would have been better if the local manager had given me a call!! we had seven dishes in all . to be explained later.

Comments