The Howrah Hotel

1, Mukhram Kanoria Road, Near Howrah Railway Station, Howrah, Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, 71110

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Close to Howrah station

If you're really desperate to stay in a budget place near Howrah station then this place will have to do. I made the mistake of staying here when I arrived as it looked pretty good on the website and I had heard horry stories about places on Sudder St. I arrived here after arriving at about 10am from Bodh Gaya and it didn't feel that bad a place at first but then got worse as my stay in Calcutta went on. I made up my mind to move on to Sudder St after staying the first night but there was a strike on my second day which left me stranded. I moved out to much relief after the second night. The room I had smelt musty, as the hotel is fairly old, and was large with a high ceiling but the beds, although large, was hard as hell and the bathroom was pretty poor. The photo's of the rooms on the website are made up as you can see by my photo's. The room I had cost Rs365 but I can't recommend it for love or money.

More about Kolkata (Calcutta)

People rushing out of arriving trainPeople rushing out of arriving train

Chicken ChaapChicken Chaap

Kolkata, a city with soul and charmKolkata, a city with soul and charm

Motorcycle rickshaws in KolkataMotorcycle rickshaws in Kolkata

Kolkata to Varanasi

by nani2195

Does somebody know the best way to go from Kolkata to Varanasi?
Thought train was ok, but a friend of mine did the train from Delhi to Varanasi and he was quite hellish.
Thanks,

Re: Kolkata to Varanasi

by ElCordobez

The best connection would be the Howrah Amritsar Mail dep daily from Howrah (Kolkata) at 19.10 and arriving in Varanasi at 09.26. The train has first and second class AC berths, which are quite comfortable and bedding is provided.
It's a great way to travel in India, you go to sleep on the train and wake up at your destination.
Other connections to Varanasi only have third class and that can be chaotic,
perhaps that's what your friend was referring to when he called it "hellish".
Also now it is very easy to get tickets, as you can book and print them your-
self online.

Travel Tips for Kolkata (Calcutta)

Traffic

by global-drifter

Every vehicle, and there are many, makes a sound. It would appear upon first impression that the devices emitting sound, are the most looked after aspect of any engine. From the ringing bells of the rickshaw-wallah, the ever present and always different bicycle horns, to the incessant blare of the city's taxicabs. This place is noisy.

I find a rickshaw and together we search for a hotel that admits my type. I ride for 20 minutes across town, terrified for the most part due to wheels sliding in monsoon rain, and get my first lesson in Indian road rules - there are none. Cars jostle for position and vehicles of all size and disposition weave in, out and around each other. While back home there are two lanes on a normal road, these memories are best left behind. When my driver decides to execute a U-Turn with speeding cars on either side, I decide to close my eyes and hope for the best.

There is only one rule in Indian traffic - use the horn at all times. This means that basically anything else is, if not permissible than entirely corruptible.

Chinese Weekly Market of Territy Bazar!

by goutammitra

We had the knowledge but have never tried it. Traditionally BBD Bagh's Territy Bazar have been the home for the Chinese settled in Kolkata. They settled here in early 17th and 18th century. But slowly the wealthy moved to Tangra, in Eastern Kolkata to have their tannery. Those who remained in Territy had the business of shoe shop and eating joints. They never mixed with the local Bengalies but have been doing great business during British period.

They also had a weekly market, where they sell Chienese ingredients for making the delicious food, making purchases for their homes and also sell Chinese breakfast. That was simply wonderful. Today it also exists but minus the Europeans and Anglo- Indians. They place now has very few families selling Chinese merchandise, medicines and the place looks very dirty, with Chicken, Meat , Fish sellers sitting in open and making the place dirty. May be Kolkakata Municipal Corporation ( KMC) is totally ignorant of the place. The place smells dirty and foul.

Last Sunday 12th July we got up early and set for Territy Bazar to taste their wonderful food. We had done some shopping also including buying some Squid, Mangoes, Prawn Papad etc.

Taxi Driver Scheme #2

by Guantanamera

The driver's next scheme was to try and charge me 300 rupees because he would take a quicker but longer distance bypass road to the airport instead of going through the small city streets and this would cost an extra 100. I said he could take any way he wanted, but I was only paying 200. He tried to convince me that it would be impossible to make my flight on time if we didn't take the bypass. I stood firm with the original agreed rate. 200 rupees.

Luxury Buffet

by jrober37 about Ivory

Located on the top floor of the new Carnac Street Mall. Superb selection. Tends to be a bit crowded on weekends so try a week day buffet. This is your safe and sound introduction to Chaat. The chaat bar

Why We Missed this place!- our Discovery!!-3

by goutammitra about Copper Chimney.

We took our French VT friend Maia Elisa Demorest for dinner with us at Copper Chimey on 26th February as we felt we shopuld not shock her by treating to direct hot & spicy Bengali food as it was her first day in India and she had not slept for 24hours! Though she insisted that she will like our Bengali food, but we did not want to take any chance instead we tried to select a combination of Indian meals. To our astonishment she beat us by eating our all spicy food and a full green chilli like we Indians!! She really has mastered the art of eating Indian food at Paris!!

Since this is our festival " Holi" time the restaurant has also geared up to the occasion. The decor has changed to suit the occasion. We were given two plates of Pani Puri( see picture of this popular Indian snack) and a glass each of Thandai( A herbal Indian cool drink made of saffron, almond, milk, Khus and other cooling ingredient) on the house as starters. As we were already late and hungry we straightway asked for the dinner. It was also a great experience! This time we insisted to be served by Anand Mallick, but to our surprise we were served by three of his colleagues apart from Mallick. We were told they like us!! We feel spoilt!! This time we we wanted to treat Maia with little care and decided the dishes with less spicey, so we had Malai Prawns( A Bengali Dish), Boti Kali Mirch ( A North Indian Lamb dish smeared with Pepper), Chettinad Chicken( A spicey Tamilnadu dish simply excelent!!), Naan and as desert Brownies and scoop of Ice Cream on Sizzler as dessert.

Maia told us she makes Chettinad Chicken at home in Paris as she had collected the recepi from Chennai dring her last visit to India.
Copper Chimey also gave us 15% discount on food!!!

Comments